IEM Suggestion help

Budget <$200 US
Looking for an IEM with wide soundstage, detailed but not too heavy bass, clear mids and not to harsh treble. I will be getting an LG v20 but can get an amp/dac if needed. Something i can run/exercise in would be nice but not necessary.

Lz a6 if you can stretch it to 220 usd.

Shuoer tape if you can use eq to reduce the 3,5k hz peak. (also the most efficient iem and can be used with a phone)

Audiosense dt200 if you are ok with BA bass. Also has amazing isolation and fit.

1 Like

The Moondrop Starfield seem to be kind of close to what you are looking for sound-wise.

3 Likes

How would these compare to the Shuoer tape and the ikko OH10

So I think the Shouer Tape get overhyped personally. They are pretty harsh in vocals and when people say they are good at low volumes that is kind of weird to me. Something shouldn’t be unpleasant at regular listening volumes.
The OH10 will have a more V shaped sound, a lot more bass and treble. They will also be fairly wide too. The OH10 are a very heavy metal build as well. Mids will be more recessed on them than the Tape and Starfield, but again the Tape is just harsh.
The Starfield will probably have more detailed bass than the Tapes, more depth to it too. The treble should also be a little more tapered off and more pleasant.
Take this all with a grain of salt, this is all info from friends I have here.

2 Likes

thanks!..Starfield and OH10 i will keep in mind

I’d push up the budget and find a used pair of the JVC HA-FD01. Hands down some of the best detail I’ve heard from a single dynamic driver under $300. Can get a bit fatiguing in the treble region, but there is a mod that you can perform to fix this issue (JVC HA-FD01 Dynamic IEMs). There are used pairs on Amazon for $235; if you can find the Drop version (HA-FDX1), those come with filters with the mod.

2 Likes

I hear a lot of good things about those.

Tri i3 would also be a good choice. Checks all the boxes you asked. Also the Isn H40 would work. I have the Tri and waiting for my H40 to arrive. Both below 200 USD.

1 Like

Just use eq to reduce the 3,5k hz region and it sounds much better.

If you don’t want to use eq I would go with the LZ A6, it sure is a hidden gem.

But the Moondrop Starfield is the safer choice, both in sound and in price.

I don’t think you should get something and have to use EQ to make it bearable to listen to. When you get listening gear, you should be able to enjoy and like it stock as is. If I have to open EQ every flippin’ time I plug in a pair of IEMs, that’s going to be quite frustrating to me. If something doesn’t sound good stock, and you have to use EQ on it, why can’t the company fix that themselves with tuning? It seems to me like most IEM companies in this lower price range are not doing very great with the estats so far, I think they need to do some more R&D to get it right.
I also forgot to mention the iBasso it03. That is another IEM that gets very good reviews and is in price range.

1 Like

Agree, I never use EQ myself. But tried it with the Tape and it made them amazing. If the LZ A6 was still priced at 300 usd I would go with the Tape, because the Tape sounds quite similar to the A6. Fortunately the A6 costs like 220 usd now and Is super worth it.

love my it03s but based on OPs requirements i don’t think they quite fit as they are quite bassy and pretty narrow. I don’t think they’re anywhere close to harsh and despite being v-shaped find the mids to be pretty respectable. Great IEM though probably my most used listening device

1 Like

I never quite understood the EQ debate, especially since tip/ear pad rolling and modding are deemed “acceptable.”

2 Likes

Maybe because eq is software and tips/others are hardware modifications? I been in the “do-not-eq” camp for the last year, but before that I used eq all the time. (before my enlightenment to more hifi stuff).

Although since I tried eq with the shuoer tape I am a bit more open to it.

1 Like

I’ll EQ if I need to, I have no problem with it. Hell, I’m “EQ’ing” right now between my CF Solaris and Oriolus MK2’s. Neither is very exciting up top, but I boost the treble on my basic tone control to 2 or 3 o’clock and I’m happy.

2 Likes

Nice, seems pretty sweet :+1:

I ended up going with the Starfields, should be here Wednesday at the earliest. Thanks guys!

3 Likes

Cool, feel free to share your thoughts when you get them.

1 Like

Heres my write up for them

3 Likes