IEMs are ruining my headphone experience

I have always loved the look of IEMs and appreciate what they’re capable of doing sound-wise.

…but I just can’t shake the feeling of having something pushed into my ear canal. I hate it. I can handle buds but IEMs are just a no-go for me and I’ve accepted that.

True but nothing on his S= tier for example is under $1400.

That being said, sure, some IEMs focus on different things and some cheaper ones may be better at one special thing than more expensive sets.

Of course not everything that is more expensive is higher quality and has better sounds, but the audio equipment people buy tends to be more expensive because of the higher quality and better sound all round.

1 Like

I largely agree, but with the amount of snake oil out there the general rule of you get what you pay for from a consumer standpoint does not hold water as there are quite a few duds in the higher tiers just like the lower ones. So its more of a game of chance unless a product has been vetted, and even then personal taste can make or break it soo LOL. This hobby is amazing and is complete crap rolled into one LMAO. :crazy_face: :rofl: :smiling_imp: :sob: :rofl:

This thread got me rethinking my priority list for future purchases. I currently split my time between working in an open office and working at home, so my purchases have been limited to audio gear I can use in both settings. That means closed back headphones that provide isolation and don’t leak too much sound. I recently got my portable headphone setup to a place where I feel like I can be happy for a good while. I have the Focal Elegia, powered at my desk by a D10 / Liquid Spark stack, and on the go I have the Dragonfly Red that came bundled with the Elegia. Since I hace that setup complete I was contemplating going down the route of big open backs to enjoy at home. But now I’m not sure. This would mean upgrading my sources and purchasing headphones that are more expensive than anything else I have in my collection. The funny thing is if I did that they would be the most expensive setup I have and they would be used less than anything else. I rarely have time to sit alone and just listen to music at my desk, so why spend the most money for that rare occasion?
Sorry for the rambling, but all that to say, I think I’m going to come back into IEM world for a little while. I enjoy wearing them and the unique way they pump the sound straight into your brain. They are also very practical because of their portability, isolation, and the fact that they are easy to drive. I’m by no means abandoning my headphones, but I think I’m going to press pause on buying any more for the time being and focus on IEMs.
I currently own the Shozy 1.1 and the BL-03 and I enjoy them both but I want to shoot for an upgrade in technical ability and a more refined sound. I’m curious if you guys have any recommendations? I’m looking right now around the $300 ballpark with a little bit of flexibility. The two that have my attention the most are the Dunu DK-2001 and the Moondrop Blessing 2.
Also, do any of you use a Dragonfly to power your IEMs? If so, do you like it or have you found a portable source that you prefer? Not really looking to get into a DAP because I like using my phone. But I’d like to hear some thoughts from the IEM crowd. Ok, whew! Thanks for letting me get all my thoughts out!

3 Likes

There are a few duds but it is the exact same for every single hobby, you tend to, not always, but tend to, get what you pay for.

One would expect a $2000 IEM to be better at everything that a set sub $500. One would be right to expect that.

1 Like

There are a few recently released IEMs like the Thieaudio v3 that are said to be good technically. There are also offerings from FiiO like the FH5. Have a look also at the Tanchjim Oxygen as well as the ARC Pollux and the Etymotic ER4PT

I’ve tried out the Dragonfly red and black, both are decent with a good pairing as I felt they were somewhat specific. I didn’t like pairing either with neutral IEMs for instance. The red is just a beefed up black, with everything the black does but slightly more. I am yet to try to cobalt.

Do you have a budget? The new ifi hip dac is bigger of course than the dragonfly stuff but is a contender. I for one prefer the sound.

Then of course you have more expensive offerings like the ifi xDSD and the Chord Mojo, both with great reviews. I know a few people on this forum have them so perhaps they can chime in. I am yet to here to xDSD but I did like the Mojo.

2 Likes

Are both solid rec’s :+1: as for the Dragonfly it’s one of the best when it comes to portability but there are better options if space and portability aren’t the priority?

For mobile sources I run my LG V20 or an ES100. Both are solid to me so its just how mobile you need to be, the ES100 has the edge in that respect. Also the ones you have are similar to Harmon target, if you like how they present sound then the Blessing 2 is one to look at for sure. If you want more neutral sound and don’t care about looks then the EX800st should get a nod for sure. I can’t speak to Dunu, but I know they looks sharp so there is that if nothing else.

1 Like

I’ll look into those IEMs for sure! I also might consider parting with the DFR and using that cash to buy a Hip Dac if it would be a better option. Then maybe upgrade to something like the Mojo or the xDSD later on. I’ve heard good things about all of those offerings.

1 Like

All of them are great choices!

Space and portability are nice but sound is number one. As long as it’s reasonably portable (small enough to fit into my Elegia carrying case) then that would probably work for me. Any suggestions besides the Hip Dac, around the $200 price point?

They do look pretty sweet don’t they??? I’ve heard good things about the quality of the bass, and that some people prefer the bass on the Dunu to the Blessing 2.

I’m pretty much in the same boat, only I have the open backs at home, and I’m finding myself reaching for IEMs instead of my headphones.

I have heard the Blessing 2 is what a lot of listeners are after. Crinical rated it an S for tone which speaks volumes. Personally, I like my bass and I prefer a more laid back presentation for the highs, so the Blessing 2 probably wouldn’t be for me, but might be up your alley if the harman target is too V/U shaped for your preferences.

1 Like

this saddens me lol, i tried the starfields recently as i was able to get 2. one for me and one for my friend, but i was personally dissapointed. not because it sounded bad, but was not a fan of the tuning. and to my knowledge there is no lack of harman tuning recently

Then the Blessing 2 might be for you then. The Starfield is tuned to the Harman target. The Blessing 2 is not. The blessing 2 is fairly neutral in the bass and lower mids until it gets to the upper mids and has a substantial boost. So it’s basically a harman tuned IEM but with no bass boost.

2 Likes

niceeee, the price tho. is not something i’m interested in paying for lol. It’s just, i kinda wanted a good cheap iem. but my koss ksc75 still beats everything in terms of pleasure for me. I was surprised by how little i like the T4 and Starfield considering that i liked the blon 03 alot. (altho i still prefer the ksc75 by miles). In addition, i kinda have just gotten amazing headphones in the past and have an amazing one atm so it’s hard to find anything to satisfy me when it comes to an iem without spending much. just wanted one for more portability, going to the store, class etc etc

I love the Fiio FH7 but that’s up there in price. Might want to try out Theiaudio Legacy 3.

4 Likes

I just purchased the Hip Dac yesterday and it’s in route. That will be my source for powering my mobile setup. I wonder if the synergy would be good between the Hip Dac and the Blessing 2, due to the fact that the Hip Dac would potentially warm up the low end and have the option of adding a bass boost if you want it. In theory that seems like a pretty sweet pairing to me, but I don’t know if anybody has paired the two together yet to see if it works like I think it would.

Do it!!! :slight_smile:

Andromdas blew my mind when I first heard them. I had always assumed that IEMs couldn’t keep up with headphones, until I heard Andros. And that was after tons of hype and “how good could they be?” skepticism buildup. There’s a reason they’re a benchmark for IEMs.

Could not recommend that more highly. My first good pair of IEMs were Noble K10 Customs from Drop. They look like the stems are going to tickle your brain, but OMG are they comfortable. They kinda ruined universal fit for me, to a degree. In particular, I will NEVER fly again without CIEMs.

64Audio U12T. The sub-bass is stupid. DDs are still king for slam, but U12T left nothing to be desired for both extension and grip. The bass is uncanny in the same way that Koss KPH30i / PortaPro bass is–does not feel like they should be able to make that sound.

Utopias are probably more detailed than any of my IEMs, including Campfire flagships and U12Ts. They’re on par with Stax L700 details.

Yeah, speakers fill the room, so you’re in the sound. I have a hard time listening to Tool’s Wings Pt.2 on anything but speakers, because the storm needs to be huge and epic. Headphones just can’t do that justice.

Headphones provide their own more intimate presentation. You don’t have to worry about room optimization or speaker placement, and quality sound is orders of magnitude cheaper than 2-channel stereo.

IEMs feel even more intimate than headphones in many ways; Andromedas taught me just how phenomenally clear and well-controlled music can be in ultra-compact form. Soundstaging is better than many of my full sized cans. And with a good seal, bass can be phenomenal. Personal favorite bass cannons are Campfire Atlas since they don’t really sacrifice mids or highs to punch really hard.

How about Drop+JVC HA-FDX1s at $250? Crinacle rates these an A-, and I have a buddy who swears by them. I’ve only heard them once, briefly–wasn’t enough to form any strong opinions, but I’d like to pick these up sometime.

2 Likes

I’ve had the iBasso IT03 for a few days. I like them quite a bit, but based on my experience so far, I much prefer the large presentation that something like the Edition XX or LCD2C can provide. Maybe it’s not fair comparing such different price brackets, but I think that is just something an IEM is going to struggle to provide. Let me know if you think there is an iem that would make me reconsider; I havent heard any flagship IEM yet.