🔷 ifi GO blu BT Dac/Amp

Recently I got my setup - iFi Go Blu and a pair of Westone W60 IEMs. With 3.5mm single-ended output I hear no hiss. But with 4.4mm balanced output, I can hear noticeable noise floor, so loud that I cannot ignore it…

Any recommendation on other portable bluetooth dac-amp that works better with sensitive IEMs? Better have a microphone so I can have calls with it. Thanks!

Just received the GO blu and paired it with an iPad and plugged in LZ A7 using the stock cable. I noticed that I was getting a prominent hiss lmediately. I switched devices to an iPhone and was getting the same result. I am very surprised with this, as I thought that this was only an issue when using a balanced cable?

Hmm. It seems to be the cable on the A7s. I switched to the Variations using the stock cable with the 3.5mm connector and the hiss disappeared.

sounds to me like the LZ A7 is simply a more sensitive IEM. I know the Variations is not very sensitive. Sensitive IEMs can have a background hiss at certain sources.

Maybe. I will try them on my desktop setup to confirm. But if it is the case, the GO blu is not good for sensitive IEMs

It’s just how the go blu is. It’s one of several reasons I didn’t keep it. Qudelix is for sensitive IEMs.

1 Like

Just wanna throw a shoutout to my favorite go blu sinergies:

Grado hemp with 3d & xbass, flat pads
Nighthawks with 3d & xbass, velour pads
Ad2000x with xbass, yaxi or ad2000 pads
Focal clear & elegia with xbass
Ath Wp900 no filter
Emu teak no filter

Grado + this thing is very nice, I currently only have the hemps but any of the sr prestige series should make a great pairing.

Focal clear and wp900 are very picky cans, yet they do wonderfully with the go blu.

Phones that are very sensitive or very low sensitivity, or high impedance, have issues.

The hiss on the GO blu is why i went with the Shanling UP4 (only listen to iems at the moment).
Had a BTR5 and loved ist but i like the volume weel/universal nob on the UP4 more…
And on bought BTR5 and UP4 no his even with very sensitive iems.

Could you describe the difference between UP4 & Go Blu? Purely in sound quality and how good it pairs with your IEMs.

I didn’t had they in all at the same time.
First i had the btr5 and was just really happy with its sound and usability… end of the story my little child dragged it away and it was just lost, i dont know how that happend :sweat_smile:.

So i tested the go blu and the hiss and the missing of a clip made it not useble for me but i really liked the volume knob!
The up 4 has best out of bought worlds.

The difference in sound is not that big that it would influence my decision!
All these little Devices sound clean and powerful enough for all my IEM’S, but it is noticeable that the UP4 is the least powerful.

A pro for the GO blu are the soundmodes.
The UP4 has a simple 5 band EQ and 4 filters.

Fiios EQ doesn’t work with LDAC, which is pretty annoying!
And the Fiio has the shortest bluetooth range.

This Covers a lot of the Bluetooth Dac/Amps out there

1 Like
3 Likes

Thanks for sharing this review from Tyler!

1 Like

13 posts were merged into an existing topic: Rant thread - share your grievances, not just audio

Can we please keep this official thread for…

This is the official thread for the iFi GO blu

This thread is for discussion and reviews.

and not personal issues anyone my have with the company thank you.

:beers:

1 Like

I bought the Go Blu a couple weeks ago on Amazon, wanted it as an soft upgrade to my Fiio BTR5 which I feel like the battery life isn’t what it used to be.

Returned it after a couple days due to small nitpicks that had nothing to do with the quality of music, just things like ambient noise when music isn’t playing, the volume dial wasn’t very responsive with my iPhone XR, so it would have awkward jumps. Also I didn’t like how the music kept playing even if I unplugged the cable from the Go Blu. The build quality wasn’t bad, it just wasn’t as bulletproof as I was expecting.

I was impressed by the xBass & xSpace features, but I couldn’t see myself spending the time to find out what settings I preferred for which tracks in my library. In default setting, with both features set to off, and playing music at medium to loud volume, I thought the Go Blu was technically impressive. It met all the power requirements of everything in my humble collection.

I went back to my BTR5, still happy. I’m looking for an upgrade still, open to ideas about potentially something with a much larger battery. Still thinking about just biting the bullet and trying out the xDSD Gryphon… Always open to all suggestions :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for trying the Go Blu, we hope you decide to step up and try out the Gryphon too - hopefully it matches your preferences and fits the specs needed!

1 Like

I’ve had the Go Blu for a couple of weeks now. Been using it at night just to chill and listen to my T3 Plus on. I’ve been impressed so far. Now, with the T3 Plus, I find the bass/stage feature unnecessary. The bass adds too much and can make them muddy…the space is not quite noticeable to me.

I have listened to my Radiance with this as well as my Noires…they power both just fine. It works flawlessly so far with my S22 Ultra. I even tried to plug it in direct and didn’t really notice any difference as the bluetooth works so nicely.

I will for sure be keeping mine and using it to help me evaluate future iems since I am just getting in to those. So thumbs up from me so far!

1 Like

Thanks, bud! Glad you love it.