JAY's audio memes (and reviews/ranking too I guess)

So far the most memorable one for me soundstage wise is Plutus beast but I’m not sure if it’s because of the BC or if it just clicked in my head.

I’ll have to rebuy it, Variations is probably my best soundstage set rn, not counting Pilgrim or Mext since I haven’t spent much time with either

2 Likes

Curious to what you mean by best staging wise on the Variations - like as in airy and open?

The beast for me was super dark and congested hah

1 Like

Btw has anyone’s DaVinci come in yet? Would love to hear some thoughts on it (especially the bass) since I can’t access YouTube most of the time here

1 Like

Mine has arrived

In short, i like it.
Bass is the most dominant factor (surprise!jk)
Bass has subwoofer like effect, mid bass is a bit boomy. Not the quickest, so good luck on fast paced metal. Layering is a bit blurry.
I like the texture overall as a mild basshead. Got goosebumps on cello and double bass, so it must doing something right.
Bass is not as dominant over the mid as some might say.

13 Likes

Sounds like you’re describing the Doscincos haha, excited to hear these! The first bassy set from Timmy :loud_sound:

I’m guessing detail wise it’s not as “resolving” as the Pilgrim and Dusk then? I’ve also been hearing about “dry timbre” from some, thoughts?

1 Like

How about the soundstage?

Everyone’s Davinci looks better than mine :sweat_smile:

9 Likes

Hardly anyone would buy it for fast metal. I think it successfully targets other genres :wink:

1 Like

I have the so called “revised version” of doscinco lol. The bass is quite different from the Doscinco. Weirdly enough, the Davinky bass even has more body

1 Like

Decently wide but great height and depth to my ears. I use Tanya’s widebore tips

1 Like

Yo, who let Timmy cook?
Any where i can get the 75ohm adapter but in 4.4 version?

2 Likes

I think out of all my sets my Vari fits my ear best stagewise, open and airy in a way not even my UP has.

It might be more to do with my ear shape than actual capability though tbh

the beast was just weird, it wasn’t as open or airy but it felt like the music was all around me. It was a trippy feeling lol

1 Like

I’m enjoying the DaVinci. Great tuning and great bass. Really smooth and no issues. It’s a lot like a fancy Chopin. The 250 dollar deal on alliexpress is pretty solid.

6 Likes

That’s probably the treble roll off + the boosted vocals creating that black background while the vocals are pushed forward making it feel like the singers are surrounding you

Could be an anatomy thing, the variations are pretty airy so

2 Likes

Look at Aliexpress in the Veclan Store.

Graph looks like my older Dosincos, but I mean hey I ain’t complaining those are a fantastic set, and you can’t get the older tuning anymore so :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Yeah it sounded more 3d than Vari to me, I chalked it up to ear anatomy. I’d honestly own a Beast again but I wasn’t the biggest fan of how dark it was sometimes.

If my Vari had the same 3d effect I’d honestly be out of this hobby

1 Like

What do you think is a good iem for fast metal?

2 Likes

Fast paced Metal is always tricky from my experience. You want the speed and somewhat of a faster attack/decay which normally comes with BA’s for the bass. However you probably want the thunderous impact that comes with double kicks as well and the meaty midbass for ripping bass guitar and thick distortion on the guitars and BAs can fall short. DDs usually come into play here.

Of what I’ve demo’d or owned which is quite extensive a few come to mind. The Meteor does really well at hitting the speed and a faster attack and decay. Does wonders for the double kicks and ripping meaty bass guitar. Treble has a nice air and extension as well and just enough bite on guitars to not be that fatiguing on longer listening sessions. Vocals though some would say take a hit and well as the bass hits while prominent could be perceived as dry. Overall though Meteor pays more tribute to the bass elements of the band. Really well suited for Punk with Metal being second.

UP is great as well as well. The beryllium driver has some amazing speed and there’s a thicker mids section that really adds a nice weight to make vocals. I like darker IEMs in the treble range so UP is great for me. The treble though would probably be most individuals issue with metal. It’s just not that extended and doesn’t give guitars the energy/bite alot want. UP also thrives on more power. For warmed though it doesn’t hit as hard as the charts would have believe. However, it’s some amazing textured bass with the speed you want for metal.

Finally and what I feel benefits Metal the most planar. My problem with planar is none of the off the shelf planars ever hit my targwt for treble. Micheal Bruce though has done wonders modding the S12 and the Fat Earth is an absolute delight for Metal. It’s got heavy hitting double kicks, fast attack and decay, thunderous bass guitar, meaty mids/distorted guitars and the guitars just rip with energy.

Of course this is all subjective and mostly influenced by my preferences. I’m sure you’ll numerous different answers. For me though these are the only three I’m reaching for if I want to go a lot on Metal with the volume cranked. Not giving any thought to what other genres can or can’t it do.

9 Likes

https://penonaudio.com/4.4mm-Balanced-Impedance-Adapter.html

3 Likes