JAY's audio memes (and reviews/ranking too I guess)

I, for one, definitely try to keep it short when I write up impressions :sweat_smile: It’s fun to see everyone’s different styles and formats though. As time goes on I find I skip over more and more of what I find superfluous.

Yeah, got zero tolerance for that kind of writing haha. Also, when people start waxing eloquent over different cables my eyes glaze over :laughing: but I understand that’s a fetish for some of us sorry headphone nerds. To each their own :smile:

:100: the respectable answer! Eagerly awaiting the Estrella, it’s in the EU now so hopefully it’ll arrive in a week or so! :tada:

Excited to hear the tuning, after experiencing the Crimson as a pretty big flop. Hoping the midbass and treble smoothness are more up my alley :pray: tape mod will be interesting too, to switch it up.

6 Likes

Man, I try to keep mine short, precise, and reduce fluttery hyperbole but, using precise vocabulary sometimes it can sound like you’re repeating yourself sometimes without it.

The other issue is that without hyperbole or “it was almost like listening to the voice of God in your ear is how it felt when I heard it”, you don’t get like featured.

5 Likes

Hope you don’t get hit by chifi QC cause Chris’ unit looks very different from mine lol

@pk500 Bullet points is the new meta :saluting_face:

4 Likes

Really, do you mean FR wise with his Estrella? Your units seemed to differ?

1 Like

Ya, might be coupler, might be qc, might be both :man_shrugging:

Fingers crossed man :joy:

3 Likes

Bummer. Yeah, hopefully they’re able to keep up some consistency with the units! I don’t have a coupler, so you’ll only have the very muddy lens of my ears to judge by :laughing:

1 Like

Happy to help! I never would have known English wasn’t your native tongue. Well done!

3 Likes

There’s many IEMs that graphs different on Chris’s database than on other squigs (bigger db’s range). Probably the case here. (I hope so, estrella ordered :sweat_smile:).

2 Likes

Without question, especially if you try to cram multiple thoughts into one sentence with many independent clauses. Run-on sentences lose readers. Take a breath, put one or two thoughts into each sentence.

Now, don’t let the pendulum swing too far in the opposite direction. An endless stream of “See Spot run,” “Jack loves Jane,” “This IEM rocks” also can get tedious.

But this also is a guaranteed way to lose readers: “The Blessing 3, which is the successor to the acclaimed Blessing 2, is a neutral IEM that also has a Dusk version, tuned by IEM expert Crinacle to feature more note weight, a feature requested by users of the Dusk 2.”

The best writers vary the lengths of their sentences and paragraphs while still maintaining clarity and simplicity. It’s a black art honed only by practice.

It’s no different than many of the musicians we love. Some have great range in styles and song lengths. But their stuff all hits us in our soul, regardless of genre or length.

4 Likes

Here’s a tip: Don’t take “off days” with your writing by following different rules with texts, emails, forum posts.

I try to write in the same style and with the same care toward punctuation, spelling and grammar in EVERYTHING I write. Forum posts, social posts, stories, reviews, etc.

Every time you put fingers to a keyboard is an opportunity to sharpen your writing skills. I know that sounds tedious, but it’s a fact.

7 Likes

You might not get featured, but you’ll get more respect from readers by shying from cliches and horseshit hype.

5 Likes

Bullet points can be very useful for a quick summation in a review. Pros and cons, features, etc.

But bullet points replacing proper paragraphs of well-written prose are lazy and only cheat the reader. They don’t provide proper detail or context.

EDIT: Damn, I’ll stop. I’m turning Jay’s thread into a classroom. Sorry. You’ve found one of the few things in life about which I have more passion than headphones – writing and editing. Sorry, Jay!

5 Likes

Alright Paul, give it to me straight, how would you rate my written reviews out of 10 :joy: (and what could I improve upon)

I’m ready

5 Likes

Jay, I’ll be honest: I always watch your YouTube stuff, but I don’t think I’ve read that many of your reviews. Are they in this post? Head-fi? The general IEM thread?

I’ll be happy to take a look, but I’m an honest editor and don’t coat with sugar or syrup … :slight_smile:

Still, you’re a sharp guy. Like most smart people, I think you probably write better than you imagine.

5 Likes

aaa pretty sure we all know that one Penon shill that does this.

3 Likes

Hahaha all g appreciate that. I have my Carmen review coming up soon this week. I usually post it here, so feel free to drop any feedback :wink:

5 Likes

I’ll take tips if you’re in the mood to critique. :joy:

Yeah, I usually try to put in a bit of humor and memes in my reviews. Try to be very direct about what I hear and explain it as best as I can. I feel way better about it being my actual voice vs hyperbole.

I think Estrella may be coming in today. :eyes::eyes:

6 Likes

Shit. I’m jumping in on this. Sorry for muddying up your thread, Jay, but I am super interested in getting graded :sweat_smile:

Paul… hit me. Can you give me a quick grade from what you’ve read of mine, please?

6 Likes

Seriously?! Lucky duck… mine is stuck somewhere in Germany for some reason :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I’ll take some feedback too, boss. Sounds fun. :kissing_heart:

6 Likes