JAY's audio memes (and reviews/ranking too I guess)

Yes, especially with the latest firmware. It’s a really good pairing.

Hey guys so I’m researching for a video, what are some tips/audio life hacks that every audiophile needs to know?

3 Likes

That velcro thingy on your cable? When you dont use it, wrap it in reverse, so the soft side is on the outside, so that it won’t catch onto things. That’s the tip i got from Hobby Talks

4 Likes

Roadie Wrap, by far, is one of the best things someone can learn.

5 Likes

Yup, ditto on the roadie wrap.

2 Likes

Everyone should have:

• Everyone should have at least 5 different pair of tips - wide bore, narrow bore, regular bore, foam & spinfit. Absolutely crucial imo, you can come to wrong conclusions about an IEM solely from using wrong tips.

• Everyone should invest in some nozzle & vent mesh filters from AliExpress, for analogue EQ/tuning purposes. Also helps against wax buildup.

• Everyone should have storage boxes for tips, filters, sources & IEMs.

• Everyone should download Wavelet or better yet - PowerAmp Equalizer for system-wide PEQ.

That’s what came to mind :saluting_face:

6 Likes

Or get a WiiM and knock out source and PEQ

3 Likes

Tip rolling
Case for eartips
Wavelet EQ app using squiglink

3 Likes

– You don’t have to buy every new set. FOMO is real, and it’s also bullshit.

– You probably need less power to drive your headphones and IEMs to proper volume and fidelity than you think. Excess wattage is as much of a marketing gimmick – especially by Chi-fi companies – as is “more drivers is better” in IEMs.

– Spend the money on high-res streaming instead of Spotify. It’s worth it as a real upgrade to your source chain.

– Tip rolling isn’t just a fun diversion with IEMs; it’s almost essential, especially with budget models.

12 Likes

All great tips guys, thank you :+1:

1 Like

Just to make sure it’s absolutely clear – learn how to EQ. Poweramp, wavelet, EqualizerAPO are all good choices. The other thing is using sine sweeps to nail down EQ in the higher frequencies. For that I like szynalski tone generator. Because everyone’s ears will be different up there.

3 Likes

Taking this to the max level. Get a NAS, get local music files and run navidrome on it and then you can stream your local files everywhere and you know exactly what quality the files are.

6 Likes

Photo dump.

This box has seen some things.

Congrats, Jay. It’s been 5 songs before I gotta head out for things and I can already tell this is going to be good.

Except for the cable/tips. Damn, they did you a bit wrong there. :sweat_smile:

Re: tips - tip rolling is badass. But also a huuuuge money sink. But also satisfying when you find the right combo. I have two more sets coming from the land of the rising sun that I’m sure will either be the biggest waste of money ever or will be the best thing ever.

11 Likes

Hahaha thanks man!!

It is what it is with the accessories lol

Stoked to hear your thoughts on em man :+1: :sparkles:

2 Likes

Kiwi Ears CANTA:

5 Likes

Looks like terrible implementation of one or both of the planars from that 6kHz scoop.

3 Likes

So far, and I say this in the most complimentary way possible, it reminds me of the DaVinci but with more coherent bass (without that sub-bass/mid-bass weird synergy) but with a better blend of energy in the upper mids/treble.

This is just with that initial 15 minutes so I’ll have more impressions to write up and I’ll post once I get all my thoughts together. But, so far, it’s badass, man.

8 Likes

They do that deliberately called a siblance dip works great if you have more energy behind it.

2 Likes

Cheers Gif - IceGif

2 Likes

Ya it’t got planar timbre lol, it is very airy tho :man_shrugging:

1 Like