Just got the SMSL SU-8 DAC!

…just one more question…
Do you set volume on Windows on max or max on SMSL?

I would max the digital volume on windows and either control with the dac or with your amp

2 Likes

Just wondering what you came from as a reference for comparison.

Me again… :wink:
Is it bad to put monitor screen on the top of this DAC?

Unless you crush the dac or a weird noise starts happening no

1 Like

I have Dell P2414H, about 3,5 - 4Kg…

You can try lol, it will most likely be fine, the whole dac is metal. Can you not just put the dac right on top of the stand, still underneath the monitor?

1 Like

I try that but with all cables DAC is to much out from stand…

You mean like this:

1 Like

Yeah, but I can see the cables becoming an issue as you say. You can set the monitor on top of the dac, but make sure it properly supports it, and also that the dac has some room to breathe as it does get warm at times

1 Like

What would be a favorable addition to this DAC to enable headphones?

What price range are you thinking and what headphones would you be using?

Computer-Monitor Ständer Laptop TV Bildschirm Riser, Klar HD01T-202P https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07FC5H61Z/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_4rJgEbKGF74V3

or something similar?

I use 2 bigger acrylic ones for my 2 monitors at the office - old pic before had my custom balanced braided oidio sound UK cable for the Elegia

had used both acryl monitor stands with 27inch Monitors at home - no problem

1 Like

I wouldnt do it

1 Like

Price range about 100€, if it is to low then maybe 150€.
For now I use Superlux HD668B with some custom pads.

I can buy this one for about 15€…

1 Like

The jds labs atom is pretty sweet for that price if you can get it. The schiit magni heresy may be more accessible to you though, and sounds super close with more power than the atom

1 Like

Time to upgrade the headphones lol!
Isn’t the SU-8 like 4 times the price of these? AFAIK you won’t need better than SU-8 + Atom for example, or notice much of a change, unless you buy 400$+ headphones.

Sure thing, your Superlux are thanking you right now :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

For now I don’t need another headphones (before Superlux I was using HyperX Cloud aka Takstar Pro 80), Superlux are enough for now, especially after i got this new pads (I only use them at night from 22-24h, for some Youtube videos) and they are connected at FiiO E10K.
Here are the difference between old and new pads:

For other listening I have Yamaha R-N803D and Tannoy XT6F.
This SMSL is connected to ESI Aktiv 05 monitor speaker
It will be super if I can connect FiiO to SMSL but can’t so just want to see what can be done.

Any help is welcome :wink:.

1 Like

Hmm. Your FiiO E10K is a simple dac+amp with apparently no inputs, so you can’t use it as a headphone amp only (and use your SU-8 as the DAC).

I recommend the JDS Labs Atom too – to connect straight to your SU-8 (RCA outs). This is a 100$ headphone amp but most people agree it’s “too good for the price”. SU-8 + Atom will make an excellent “stack” (dac+amp combo).

1 Like

Maybe in USA is 100$ but in Europe is about 200$ :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
Shiit magni can be found in Europe for around 150$.