šŸ”¶ KOSS ESP/95x

Found this guy. So I will use this to play with EQ. =)

2 Likes

Holy crap! I would just screw things up with that. 4 bands is pretty idiot proof.:grinning:

Going to try it plain first, but I dug this out of my closet for the occasion when I want to start playing with it. I think the Loki is probably a bit better in terms of noise itā€™ll add to the signal, though. If I like how EQ plays with it, then may consider picking one up.

You will be impressed with the stock sound for a while. I EQ them like crazy. I have never raised all four bands before. As I mentioned before, it is probably like playing a TV on its most saturated setting.

Interested to hear your before and after. As I learn constantly, we all hear differently.

1 Like

which headphone was it?

I posted my thoughts on these wonderful headphones here:

One thing iā€™m surprised not mentioned here is the immersion these headphones give. and i think its the size of the drivers that gives this.

My cheapie, the Senn HD58X.

Yeah, I remember reading yours too. =)
One of the reasons Iā€™ve been interested in them.

if you can get a listen to some sound lab 'stats, you may change your mind about timbre. my clearest memory is the model A1 that i heard last in the 90s. except for the humongous pair i heard at THE Show Newport about 2014.

they towered over us and i didnā€™t think that there would be any possible accuracy of scale. a solo guitar was played and omg, it sounded like a solo guitar in size and timbre. how that is done with such a large transducer is beyond me. be prepared for relatively high pricing but realize that the value is commensurate with price with these speakers.

hifitommy

2 Likes

Iā€™ve actually heard some sound lab estats and they sounded great :+1: (although I canā€™t remember the model, heard them at a show). Iā€™m mainly talking about more consumer esl like martinlogan. The smaller more niche makers do a better job imo. That being said the price is kinda out of the reach for many, along with the space you may need for them

Also are they still doing T.H.E show currently? I thought they stopped doing it

I ordered a pair of these for the experience, in the meantime i have been researching and found a site w/ this handy diagram.

1 Like

yeah i saw this too, looks easy enough. wonder where you can find a plug like that. the 95x and 950 already come with a extension cable you could convert

Need to find a plug and also figure out definitive answer on using certain types of 2 ch. power amplifiers to power them not just the Estat type. Still researching, Iā€™ll post if i find more

95x delivered. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

When you get it up and running, let us know what you think :+1:

1 Like

Iā€™ve listened to them for a few hours, 2 seperate listening sessions. Sourced from the Topping D70 DAC. They sound great and I would definitely rank them above a lot of other headphones. I think they are definitely worth their price at $400-$500.

They fixed the holes for the the inputs. Lol

I would qualify them as fairly open and relaxed. They have a very natural sound to them. Certain genres of music sound great/spectacular on them. I think their stand-out quality might be their fast transcient response (aka driver recovery/sound seperation). They have an ā€œairyā€ and ā€œSpeedyā€ quality to them.

But I have noticed in some songs, the sub-low end can get a little bit distorted-unclean. Which may be why Koss tuned them the way they did. Itā€™s nothing deal-breaking or terrible by any means. I think they actually have pretty good low-end extension. They easily beat out the 600 series headphones from sennheiser in that regardā€¦ but itā€™s not the cleanest sounding either. I think Audeze easily has them beat in that regard.

The main ā€˜kickerā€™ for me personally, I feel like I get similar detail retreiver from the Tin P1s driven by the THX ampā€¦ while the tuning on the P1s sound more refined, with a cleaner and stronger low-end extension and better tuned treble. While the Koss have the P1s beat in their width/airynessā€¦ but the design of the 95x definitely show their age a bit when I compared them directly to the Tin P1s. The P1s are just exceptionally well tuned and really well designed if you have a strong and clean enough source for them.

I think the best thing I can personally say for the 95x is that they have given me a decent idea of the potential of electrostats. I can even see the 95x improving signficantly with just a better amp/energizer. If this is just the ā€˜budgetā€™ option for an electrostat setup, I can definitely see the STAX L700 or similar being absolutely ā€˜god tierā€™.

3 Likes

Very interesting. My 789 I purchased in June will finally be delivered this Friday or Saturday. I own the P1s and donā€™t love them by any means. I think of them like I do my 4xx-good for the price, but I donā€™t get the fuss. That said, I havenā€™t had a clean desktop source to run them from. Iā€™ve used them and my Andromedas from my Chord Mojo using the iematch for the Anromedas, and Iā€™ve used the P1s with the Monoprice THX portable and not much else aside those. Iā€™m looking forward to running all of my headphones and iems off the 789 because I feel like I have to be missing out with some of them based off of the praise they get.

I do agree with your reaction to the 95x. I immediately priced out Stax headphones and amps becuase it totally does something I hadnā€™t heard before. For now, I will be sticking to tubes and dynamic headphones, but I think my next headphone purchase will be an L700mk2 and amp. I may get a new dac/amp upgrade first, but I donā€™t want another headphone (aside from the ZMFs I ordered) thats not electrostatic

3 Likes

Iā€™ve found the P1s can scale pretty drastically. They can sound like absolutely anemic ā€˜trashā€™ from a weak source. I can get them pretty reasonably powered from the LG V30 as long as I can trick the phone into itā€™s high-impedance modeā€¦ but then they are just full of distortion and noise. They sounded very good from the Monolith THX 788 Dac/Amp all-in-one. Then I listened to them high-gain, being driven by either the monolith 887 or sp 200 with Topping D70 as the DAC, they hit the next level.

Interesting that you find the p1 more detailed with the better source. I found that it sounded really good out of the GS-X Mk2, but even then I donā€™t know if it was more detailed over the 95x to me. It may have gotten pretty close but I donā€™t know if it was more. But I will agree that the p1 does scale very well

yeah, i donā€™t know if i would say ā€œmore detailedā€ But it was close enough. And it has much better tuning IMO.