šŸ”¶ Koss KPH30i

My curiosity got the better of me and I caved, I ordered them from Amazon. It cost me way too much and to be honest, they donā€™t match up to the KSC75 and certainly not the Porta Pro IMO.

1 Like

Iā€™ve done mods on all KSC75, PortaPros and KPH30i. I have to say that between all of them, there is no best but a matter of preference.

Iā€™m more of a PortaPro guy because its the most detailed of the 3. The KPH30i feels veiled to me. Warm and smooth bass, but at the expense of detail which sounds like its behind a curtain. Not that this is bad, clearly a lot of you guys like this tuning.

I still keep all 3, I mean they all have the best price to performance ratio and are different enough to cover a variety of sound signatures. Plus they are great for music on the go where you donā€™t need isolation, and for kids.

10 Likes

I prefer the KSC75. The 30i are good for a laid-back listen, but I canā€™t stand the muddiness and lack of detail they have in comparison. You arenā€™t the only one.

2 Likes

Absolutely agree. KSC 75 signature is my favorite too. Best for vocal clarity for me. Parts express headband increases bass a bit, and Yaxis make them much more comfortable. (I have an extra pair with the earclipsā€¦canā€™t beat the portability,)

1 Like

Would you say MMCX connectors are the best connector for all of those headphones?

1 Like

When I first built it I thought it was, but now I feel like 2-pin is far superior because you donā€™t have to use so much force to remove the cables, and possibly rip the epoxied connector off from the housing. My PortaPros and KSC75ā€™s are MMCX, but the KPH30i is 2-pin. Iā€™ve wrote the detachable cable mod for it in the forums in fact.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s a shame you havenā€™t ended up enjoying them that much. It seems like there are definitely mixed feelings on these - one personā€™s warm is another personā€™s veiled. Iā€™m still kind of interested because I do quite like a warm sound sig. That being said though, Iā€™m quite happy with my KSC75 and Porta Pros at the moment and thereā€™s a few other things I want to try/need to save for right now haha.

2 Likes

I see. Iā€™m likely to do something similar. I have a 3D printer so I might be able to get creative as well. I mean just look at this thing.

Anyway, I saw you wrote this comment on your post that you were going to use the longer 0.78mm 2-pins. Have you tried them?

For sound, I like both KSC75 and KPH30i for different reasons, but the KSC75 is physically painful hanging on my ears, even with the new YAXI pads I put on them, which is why I want to mod them as soon as I can.

1 Like

I have only 1 pair, and it took 2 months of it to arrive because of the pandemic. I was going to put them in the PortaPros first, but thatā€™s also taking its own sweet time to arrive too. So itā€™s gonna be a lot of time waiting for the parts to arrive to do the KPH30i at this point (I also need new Yaxi pads).

I shall await your results with great interest :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

Youā€™re listening to the wrong kind of music with the KPH30is. Try wide sound stage music, like acoustic guitar, jazz, bassy chill hop. Theyā€™re not as detailed, but theyā€™re wide, open, not fatiguing, and in slower music, there actually is a fair amount of detail. They are not geared as much towards, for example, female vocals, violin, and harp. But again, in some slow music with less siblance, and airiness, the KPH can deliver. You can also try amping them, just donā€™t overdo it. They sound great on a 789.

2 Likes

thatā€™s basically everything I listen to lol

after months of use, I still prefer the KSC75 on 95/100 songs

3 Likes

I agree with pretty much all your statements about the 30i. It really isnā€™t all that impressive compared to other headphones. All that it has going for it imo is fun bass at an affordable price. The detail just isnā€™t there compared to the 75, itā€™s no contest there. I prefer the 75 as well.

3 Likes

I love mine, but canā€™t seem to run them off my amps. Whenever I use a quarter inch adaptor with these the sound gets all messed up. Has anyone else experienced this?

hmm mine works just fine ā€¦ could it be the adapter? maybe try a different adapter or the same adapter on a different headphone?

Yeah Iā€™ve run mine off my Asgard 3 and my old Magni 3 and it definitely improved the sound - it didnā€™t make it worse. It is probably the quarter inch adapter being the problem, I would think?

I had that issue not sure if the same but when plugged to amp it sounded quiet and muffled. Solution was to either pull it off a bit from quarter inch adapter or final solution to change that damn adapter for one that works.

I have had that issue before and it is usually an issue with the adapter like the others have said. The adapter causes a short within the jack which messes with the audio.

Switching to a different adapter almost always fixes it. Once you confirm the fix throw away the current one.

My KPH30i broke. I guess the driver and housing are wedged into a rubber washer on the band? Does that come off often? Well i jammed it back in there as best i could. but it fell back out. So i put it back in and superglued it in. hope it holds. it really does sound great for movies and youtube

If not, I believe they are pretty good about warranties.