🔶 Koss KPH30i

Sounds stupendously intimate, not a lot of difference from the unmodded sound, but with +++ comfort. I could have them on all day long without any discomfort. I’ve done my version of the ultra mod before (see here: 🔶 Koss KPH30i - #551 by PopinTeddy) and the sound becomes a bit farther away. I prefer the Yaxi mod over Ultra mod now :sunglasses:.

Still, all I need to do is to put the Grado pads back on and Voila! Instant Ultra over-ear mod done. Suitable for a more closed-off experience like movie watching.

1 Like

6/2/21 Drop has these for $20

2 Likes

Had a $15 drop credit sitting around. In for another pair, this time in beige. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Got mine from drop, happy with the fast delivery even to europe! (but fuck taxes. These are a $60 pair for me)

So i went for the “grey” to be converted to yaxi pads, also took out the “tuning pad” to open them up as the “clear” version while i had them open… The kph30i is a bit fiddly to convert to yaxi pads as those little clips, at least on mine, where proper hard to open. One broke, but it stays together and i don’t notice it missing at all :slight_smile:

3 Likes

My headband snaped… I was a sad boy

but when I started researching for a replacement, I noticed something
opening the headphones (I personally like using the flat screwdriver in the side method, so you don’t rip the pads out)

the headband is held down by this pin, so I tried removing by pinching it with tweezers

they became this:

that little hole, is where the pin holds down the headphones with the head band toguether.
first I thought maybe I could mold some wire to hook them and use that. but then I stumble into other people using the parts express headband with other koss headphones. I thought even if the kph30i doesn’t have the thing that hooks into them, the thing it hooks into might pass thro the hole and I can glue it on the other side

it doesn’t :frowning:

But…

you can kinda use it to hold them in your ears, it sits above the hole and keeps it in place just enough, you can move around and stuff, it feels so nice, they are soooo light now, even lighter than before

if you are the type of guy that didn’t like the clap, of the original headband, I suggest you give this a try

is not grate, and kind of a pain to put in your head every time, but it works, kinda

Soooo…

thats why im posting here, im hopping we could print a new version of the little clip that goes into the hole, and could clip into the parts express headband

but I don’t have a 3d printer, nor the modeling expertise to do that, it doesent sound too complicated (pls correct me too delucional)

1 Like

side note, as you can see, im using yaxi pads. Im considering trying grado pads with this, now that the clamp is not as strong they sit just a tiny bit further away of my ears, so i had to up the volume a little bit

witch reminded me of the Z video where he found removing the pads altogether was better when they where further away of the ears.
I think im into something, and this might be the kph30i ultimate form

im ordering grado pads right now, but it’ll be cool if someone could try with me, the mod is non destructive. and you can go back if you dont like it

(maybe if someone helps with 3d printing a way to snap them into the parts express headband tho)

Where may I find the video? Thanks!

Pretty sure this is the video being referred to (?):

Yesterday I did the Ultra mod. After removing the stock pads KPH30i became too bright. Need to try yaxi pads.

I also found them a bit too bright/peaky without the stock foam. I ended up cutting the stock foam off to test but then sandwiched it back in between the grado pads and the headphones like tuning foam.

Cut? You know it comes of without needing to cut, right? :stuck_out_tongue:

Until they broke, I really enjoyed stock + Grado pads

Hindsight is 2020 :rofl:

It’s almost July. Some hindsight is 2021… :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

So I was looking around for any KPH30i earpad mods on the web, and I came across this blog post by headphonesty:

Somewhere in the KPH30i section, they mention the G-Pad mod (KPH30i Ultras), but they also whip out an aftermarket G-Pad that can use Leather, Merino Wool, or A hybrid of both:

https://www.beautifulaudio.biz/grado-earpads-headbands

The author for the Headphonesty blog post also provides some graphs that compare the stock KPH30i, G-Pads, and the Wool pads.

As of right now, I have literally copied my original post from the Grado Hemp thread, and pasted it onto this thread to spread the gospel.

1 Like

I had the exact same experience, I started years ago with DT880 600ohms, then 4xx’s within last year then, X00 mohoganys, Sendi aivas, ether cx’s, 6XX’s, Argon T50rps… then I finally bought KPH30i’s… I got so mad cause nearly nothing sounded as fun.

6XX on tubes probably came the closest, really came alive once the tubes were swapped

2 Likes

Hello, first post here…
As you see, the above happened, and I would like to know if anyone replaced the headband of the KPH30i with a Porta Pro headband. I have the impression that the clip on the Porta Pro is smaller than the hole behind the KPH driver.

Mine looks the same :frowning:

Does this happen just through normal use? I probably have 6 pairs of these guys and haven’t had one issue yet, but I see a lot of people having problems

When normal use involves tossing them around? Yes.
When normal use doesn’t involve tossing them around? No.

3 Likes