đŸ”¶ Koss KPH30i

And probably $12 again for shipping.

This channel has some good DIY tutorials.

This recommended repair is “throw some hot glue on it” lol

2 Likes

I already screwed up my ks75s with a removable cable mod. Still have no idea what happened so there’s no way I’m touching my kph30i.

Was taking a look at a catalog for Frank Ocean’s new luxury brand called Homer he announced today, and on one of the pages it had this image:

After doing a double take and inspecting it closer those are KPH30i’s!

Regarding the actual functionality of this strange mod, the towels might be ok and perhaps would make it more comfortable, but the tennis balls would ruin the openness of them.

What confuses me though is 1.) what is the point of doing this? (maybe for looks? but to begin with I personally wouldn’t want to be seen in public wearing these lol) and 2.) why is this in a catalog for a brand that focuses on jewelry and clothing to begin with?

Regardless, just wanted to put that in here, to throw out the idea that maybe Zeos’ review of these inspired Frank Ocean to buy these amazing bang for your buck cans :joy:

6 Likes

My first thought was that they were intended for dogs :slight_smile:

1 Like

Love/30 :joy:

I did a thing; should be quite apparent how it’s done.
I wouldn’t say it’s a mod but rather a life hack?

So what happened is that I recently wish to sell my Yamaha MT5, but I can’t include the Brainwavz pad for hygiene purposes, and I don’t have another headphone that fits the oval pads. The KPH30i is clearly too small for the pads to fit on; it needed something to compensate for the lack of lips attached. So what I did was:

1. Trace two cutouts of the Yamaha MT5 cups using KPH30i’s transparent plastic packaging

2. Cut a ring in the middle of both plastic cutouts narrower than the circumference of the yoke

3. Cut open the lower bottom of the plastic film for the cable to pass through

4. Insert the film from the top and over the yoke (like how you hang the “Do Not Disturb” sign on the hotel room’s doorknob)

5. Attach the Brainwavz oval pads

6. Perfection.

Doesn’t really count as a mod since the sound signature didn’t change much, probably a little more bassy? Can’t really tell. But using this setup for calls is definitely better since it guides the voice directly through the pads. I find the Ultra mod dimming the audio and I have a hard time hearing the other end when the headphone is plugged in to the normal phone jack.

Anyway, it’s a good way to be able to use conventional oval shape pads on the KPH30i, plus the plastic film is easily accessible with the original packaging. As shown, the lip of the pads are so wide out the cables don’t get caught or bend.

9 Likes

The packaging plastic use is actually genius lol.
I’ve been thinking about just getting regular pads on them too, maybe something slightly smaller than those could actually fit just over the cups, I’m getting small meze pads soon so I’ll probably try those or the stock cal! ones

I didn’t want to spend money on plastic films and no one’s using the box anyways lol. The Brainwavz micro suedes are light enough to float on the films but I don’t know if the plastic from the box will hold up leather pads.

That looks sexy as heck. Reminds me of the HD820.

1 Like

Give me some time and I might be able to whip a 3D print together for regular pad rolling.

2 Likes

I would be interested in purchasing if you do !

Uploading: image.jpg

Well the headband on mine recently broke, and in this part of the world, it costs more to ship these to America for the warranty than to just buy a new pair. So I had my hat lying around and decided to stitch them to my hat. The clips are for added rigidity so that they clamp to my head. Never wearing these outside lol they look ridiculous but it’s a cheap and easy repair

4 Likes

I think your post is missing a photo :wink:

Yeah shit wifi

4 Likes

It’s not stupid if it works, otherwise I am sorry if your pair have to get broken like that.

After playing around with different pads (and with and without the back foam), my final decision is Yaxi pads without backing foam.

I also couldn’t be doing with those damn spikes that hold the pads on, so I just used some flush wire cutters and removed all the spikes. Now I can install and remove Yaxi pads without having to remove the plastic part holding the driver.

5 Likes

I did that too, seemed a bit excessive to disassemble the headphone just to remove pads.

1 Like

Which setup has more sub bass:

KPH30i Solid w Yaxi

Or

KPH30i Solid Ultra Mod

Looking for something to compliment my Clear Ultras.