šŸ”¶ Koss Porta-Pro

Yes, it was first thing after buying :slight_smile:

Very cool!

Did you go with MMXC detachable, or is it soldered?

Iā€™ve been wanting to do a detachable cable mod on one of mine and was curious.

Is that a giant Labrador under your headphones? :stuck_out_tongue:

Soldered. Mmxc maybe someday :slight_smile:

1 Like

LeDechaine - itā€™s my chest :smirk:

3 Likes

Bought the Drop version of the PortaPros today.

I really like their style - I wanted them primarily for when Iā€™m on the move and using the Teaks or the Sundara is impractical.

However I donā€™t know if Iā€™m convinced by their sound.
Granted, these HPs cost < $40, but people have been praising them so much.

They sound somewhat muffled to me, especially for an ā€œopenā€ pair.

Iā€™ve ordered some Yaxi pads, will they help?
Or do I need to adjust my expectations?

For me the Yaxi pads did make a difference, to both sound and even better comfort.

1 Like

Treble is quite recessed or bass bleeds into the mids too mich (dependimg on your perspective) - probably warmer than the HD500 line even. Itā€™s a rather warm/dark tonality. If you want something with a more balanced signature, there is the KSC75 with a much more proper pinna gain region, though there is little depth to the bass.

Yaxi pads will slightly carve out the mids for a clearer sound, but nothing too drastic. You can also try EQ.

1 Like

Yaxi pads help a little clarifying the mids but they are bigger and therefore my ears get warmer.

I also use Wavelet EQ app on Android and their auto EQ for the PortaPro sounds great.

1 Like

Yaxi Pads helped. Iā€™ve also gotten used to the sound a bit over time.
Comfort improved a lot too!

These are now my go-to ā€œnot-sittingā€ HPs, as well as my main Video Conferencing HPs :slight_smile:

8 Likes

This is a killer looking retro kit. I think I need one of those players. Where did you pick it up?

1 Like

This particular one I got from eBay.
Sony MZ-R37 Minidisc Player/Recorder.

Iā€™ve also gotten other Minidisc hardware from Yahoo Auctions Japan, using www.fromjapan.co.jp - a proxy service.

1 Like

Koss Porta ProĀ® USB Communication Headset ā€“ Koss Stereophones

koss gaming set :joy:

4 Likes

Anyone tried this?

Summary

This text will be hidden

5 Likes

I swear by my KPH30i with Yaxi Pads - maybe I should check out the PortaPros at some point.

1 Like

A friend sent me this as a gift!

6 Likes

PortaPros with Yaxi Pads on KSC75 clips are my exercise setup. A great combination of sound quality, comfort, and actually being able to hear things around you.

2 Likes

Has anyone tried the new Porta Pro Utility ones out? Iā€™m curious if there is a difference in sound. After the KPH 40ā€¦ Iā€™m hesitant.

1 Like

I have them and I am not able to hear any difference. Iā€™m not the most detail oriented listener though. I will say that the Utility hold their size way better than any of my other Porta Pros. The headband does not slide back out as soon as you take them off. I havenā€™t had to readjust them once since getting them.

2 Likes