Let's talk about computers

Depends on the game, also remember that the GPU (if there is one) could be held back.
I think you can drop the 32gb to 16, get a better CPU that will make her life way better.
But even if you want to stick to 500$ used or refurbished would be a much better deal, hell you can get a 2020/2021 Ipad for that kind of money and it would run way better - if all she want is that one game (that is on her phone) + some office work, you can get a keyboard cover

I dont know what a GPU is. I thought the processor core, & memory were the main thing as far as operational speed goes. I just need a thing that works & doesn’t freeze up all the time myself.

Then go for an Ipad, the thing about apple devices is that the OS is pretty solid (so a lot fewer freezes and bugs), and the UI is fairly intuitive. since its your GF’s mother i’d say KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid)

She picked out the HP model. I’m not sure she knows anything about Mac OS. I dont know if the game can be played on an ipad. All I know is its a strategy war game of some kind.

I had a macbook pro a long time ago. It was great for 2 years. Then it quit working. Actually the finger pad quit working first & then it stopped working completely a bit later.

At that price, my guess is that it’s only on integrated graphics. For her use case though, it’ll likely be fine…for maybe a year and then it’ll start getting sluggish due to Windows updates and the like.

I suggest picking up a used/refurb google pixel book. Small, great chassis, plenty of power and will be the same os as her phone if she has an android.

Pretty sure that was probably a recommendation from DMS since they do work together from time to time iirc.

AMD Radeon graphics it says.

Yeah. It’d be one of the AMD APU’s. I can’t think of any laptop on the market in that price range that would have Radeon graphics via discrete GPU.

I forgot to mention, these are not stock from the factory though they are new. They go to a reseller, supposedely authorized, where the upgrades are put in. The model in question is sold at multiple retailers, including wallyworld & various online computer stores via Amazon.

You guys are talking over my head though. I know how a gasoline combustion engine works, but ziltch about how computers work.

Thanks for the help in any case.

2 Likes

On one hand, I can’t believe we’re back to 8K bullshit.

On the other, if AMD options can deliver 90-95% of the performance for 100W less and a lot less money, this is a big win.

Also, disagree with Steve: 12pin connector is bad, and imposed by Nvidia, so they deserve all scrutiny and backlash from it.

2 Likes

I personally don’t really care about the 8K thing. But yes, it’s not looking good for team green if 7900XTX can deliver anywhere near RTX4090 performance. Even at 400W it’s a no brainer. 4 8pins woulddn’t look good, but it wouldn’t be that bad either and I don’t believe their “4 8 pins would be too big” bs. You can always make the pcb a a few cm longer.

2 Likes

Personally i dont give a hoot about the 4090 as a GPU right now, but if the performance trickles down to the 50 series (which will probably get in 18 months or so) then that’s great. These AMD cards are way more interesting for the here and now, if they can undercut Nvidia by more than a 1/3 of the price and give price to performance than im all for it, even if the price tag is 1000$ (that will also mean that 6000 Series will drop in price even more)

Would be interesting to see what Nvidia’s answer to AMD is yes, will they cut the price? I already heard that they increased prices because they still have a lot of 30xx series stock to sell.

To me that just makes the AMD 7000 series more appealing, not make the 30XX more appealing

It would be all around good news for those who want to build a new system, especially a top-end one

There’s nothing wrong with the 12-pin in general, if it’s built correctly. There does need to be some work done to make sure there are no shortcuts being taken in its manufacturing though.

It is garbage, and garbage the standardizing body for PCIe was aware off!
Since the flaw is documented in the past, I will strongly recommend against buying any card from any brand that has that flawed connector on it.
Do it like servers! But CPU 8-Pins for power on the GPUs! Then 2 give you 600W without a burning roof.
Edit: You will sometimes find “12V EPS” marked on Server-GPUs, that means it is a CPU-style 8-pin.

Video below was mentioned here before, remains relevant:

2 Likes