Let's talk about computers

Well someone with ATX 3.0 PSU with a native 12VHPWR also melted their cable RTX 4090 Woes Get Worse: Native 16-Pin Reportedly Melts as Well (Updated) | Tom's Hardware

Evga “4090”. Any of these that surface in the market will probably cost a fortune to people wanting as a collector’s item.

1 Like

I’m a bit suspect on this one. Not only did the guy refuse to show pictures of his system, he’s also using an unproven PSU from MSI who has somehow managed to get an ATX3.0 spec unit out before all of the major players? Yeah, I have questions.

2 Likes

How is a PSU that has been on the market since April October “unproven”?
Going by Toms Hardware Review, looks like a solid unit.
“Channel Well” is also not a new OEM in the computer PSU market.

I would like to point any nay-sayers at the analysis by Igors Lab and PCI-SIG was aware of potential problems WCCF, September 2022 themselves

Well to be fair there hasnt been anything to use that connector (at least that im aware of) until now so that parts does add up

I said how. Seasonic, SuperFlower, Corsair, etc. aren’t going to have their first ATX3.0 units out until Q1, but MSI somehow has one out already? And MSI isn’t exactly known for PSU’s are they? Even if you want to disregard that, you said yourself it’s been out for ~one month. Very few people will have one, and they won’t have had theirs for long. Hence the unproven status.
Also, you linked to TechPowerUp, who did give them a very good review. So that is a big point in MSI’s favor.

The wires on Igor’s unit were also only rated at half of what they should have been. 150V opposed to the 300V they are supposed to be. But I don’t disagree in principle. The adapters are stupid and shouldn’t be used.

That is one MAJOR problem I have with GamersNexus: They started as game reviewers, then transitioned into hardware and are now wading into various engineering fields. While I absolutely admire their dedication and methodology, their time is ultimately limited. As such, there is no way for them to develop the expertise required in each field they venture into.
Their “final word”-style presentation then turns their mixture of data and opinion into something others take as gospel and run with it.

Cables are rated for a maximum voltage, related to insulation breakdown and subsequent arcing.
In a low volt application (12V), the 150V marking is meaningless aside from the 10x safety margin on the insulation.

All the other markings on the cable would be way more interesting (insulation type, possibly conductor count, etc.)

GamersNexus does have some type of fixation on chasing data and measurements for the sake of them sometimes. This can make some people feel as though they are left out or missed the point on a product.

My memory might serve me wrong but I do remember when they reviewed some scythe coolers and could not get the appeal about why they were tuned to just be low noise and did not have some of the headroom of some noctua coolers. People brought out the point that not everybody has power hungry cpu or want to be running their fans at super high rpm, they just want something that is plug and play while being silent. They kinda just joked about it afterward mentioning why people would even want that in later videos.

I remember them mentioning back in the day when I was building my first computer in the ryzen r3 1200 review of them saying that the stock cooler sucked and that somebody should spend the extra 30 dollars to get a cpu cooler. When checking with other reviewer data though their numbers for the temps were like way higher. Thats a reason why you should check multiple reviewers before you make a decision not just one. For them 30 dollars seems like a small bit of money but that is a hefty percentage of the money in a budget build. During that time that could be the difference between a rx560, 1050 ti, or rx 570 depending on that day (I still miss those prices back then even though there was that crypto boom at the time). You could take that 30 dollars and get on the cpu side something like the 1400 which would be much better than that. Turns out though they never really addressed it but if you look at their overclocks for ryzen 1st gen you see it at times over 1.4v which is just abnormally high and weird. It seems that they might have reigned in the weird overclocks but they still have such a weird perception of value and other things.

1 Like

That didn’t sound at all like something Steve would say, so I re-watched both the 1200 and 1200AF reviews. Not only did he not say that, or anything implying that, he didn’t even mention the cooler at all in either review.

That’s not weird at all. Auto voltage going up to 1.45V was quite common on Zen1. There were even boards with BIOS’ that would push 1.50V.

This one also doesn’t quite sound right, but it’s going to take more time digging that I have at this moment. I do know that he was surprised by how much interest there was in Scythe coolers from his audience though.

1 Like

As @MazeFrame pointed out the voltage rating doesn’t ultimately matter, since there are 6 wires that have 12v running through them, which should be perfectly fine. I suspect that socket itself has trouble holding a sustained load of 600W

Ye I must have been like tripping or something or it could have been another reviewer, admittedly I haven’t really sat down and watched GamersNexus in a while since I dont agree with some of their testing methodology and ideology. It could also be I am just not really used to his style and format a lot of people I feel are annoyed by his tone at first but then adjust to him at least thats what they say in the comments.
At the same time though for Zen1 I always found it painful when the bios pushed that much voltage. The bios for zen1 mobo at least in my experience were buggy and any of the boards that did that had stability issues so I always turned it down. They should now be much more stable.

The presentation is very harsh, and their standpoint is a bit strange to me often missing the point of a product or statement.

At the same time, Steve often rambles on drawing the videos out to the 30 minute mark for what is essentially a “win some, loose some, rest of the data on our website we kind off forgot about”.

1 Like

As expected, good card for a terrible price.

1 Like

I’m definitely passing on this generation. I want to upgrade to a 4K OLED but +$1000 is just dumb. And it’s frankly galling how many tech pundits are totally fine with AMD charging that much just because it’s less than Nvidia (not much less).

Surprised Steve didn’t bring this out again lol
Waste of Money - NVIDIA RTX 3080 Ti Review & Benchmarks2

NVIDIA has apparently targeted linear pricing this generation. 75% the performance of 4090 for 75% the price. The 3080 delivers half the performance of a 4090 for half the price as well lol.

Legitimate answers are finally had.

2 Likes

If anyone’s looking to upgrade to AM5, $100 off the 7700X is pretty good. Personally, I’m holding out for the expected 3D VCache variant.

Seems to be across the board, Newegg and other retailers dropped the price

1 Like

Not surprised, Zen4 has not been selling well.