Let's talk about computers

That’s across the board with components, I think. 4080s staying on the shelves, so is the 30xx series IIRC. 4090 did sell out pretty quickly, but let’s be honest that target audience doesn’t really care about the price

In other news I finally decided to pull the trigger on a M.2 drive
download (14)

2 Likes

Not really. Raptor Lake has sold far better than Zen4, and as you said the 4090 sold out almost immediately. The 4080 is sitting there because of it’s appalling price. I fully expect that the new AMD GPUs will sell quite well. Zen4 just isn’t that good of a product for it’s target audience when the 5800X3D is already out, is cheaper all around, and gives the same performance. That’s not to say that Zen4 is a bad product, because it isn’t. There just isn’t a reason for people to move to it.

Another really great SSD sale. The P41 2TB is on sale for about for $170. It’s one of the top 3 mainstream Gen 4 SSDs along side the WD SN850X and Samsung 990 Pro. I just got a 980 Pro, but I’m picking this one up as well. If you would rather sacrifice a bit of performance for (probably) better reliability, then I recommend the 980 pro which is also on sale.

Having DDR5 as a requirement while Intel kept support for DDR4 is also likely an overriding factor.

2 Likes

Man, if it only would’ve been available at that price in EU

Picked up one of the 2TB 980 PROs yesterday. Didn’t think I’d see those for that kind of price for another year or two.

2 Likes

The 5800X3D is also a drop in upgrade for those running an AM4 system already. That makes a huge difference when making the decision to upgrade. I am included it this category since I upgraded to the 5800X3D from a 3700x. I already owned a X570 Taichi motherboard so it was a no brainer. I will most likely also be one of people purchasing the RX 7900xt/7900xtx depending on how they perform in independent benchmarks. We shall see next month.

Well, this is a new one. Missing a torch, but I guess that would have been too much of a fire hazard, lol.

Decided to jump the gun in a 5800X3D on a Black Friday deal. Wasn’t exactly a need per se but since I still am in 1st gen Ryzen the upgrade is welcome. Hopefully this will last another 5 years or more.

2 Likes

If you don’t do any sort of consistent, heavily multi-threaded work and you don’t upgrade your GPU to the newest TOTL card each generation, then you shouldn’t have much to worry about on that front. The only thing I can really see coming up, baring the standard/unexpected issues like the CPU suddenly dying, is Direct Storage becoming a big thing within that time-frame.

Think you’ll have no problem except if you play something like Anno that’s heavily CPU bound :grin: I’m still rocking my 6500k @4ghz and only in a modded to the max fallout 4 it’s my weak link :hot_face:

Is it just me or is F4 particularly inefficient in that regard? I’m running an overclocked [email protected] GHz and a 1080 similarly overclocked, and there are areas near downtown that bring my frame rate to a crawl - sub30 fps in one spot. When I check HWMonitor, my gpu is coasting along at like 65% utilization, while my cpu is pegged out and heating up, pushing 80 degrees (de-lidded, liquid cooled).

F4?

10 char

Well it’s a Bethesda game and we all know their quality programming XD

1 Like

Ah, if you are talking about Fallout 4 then there could be several reasons for the performance issues in downtown Boston. The first of which is that the game itself is poorly optimized for PC in general. But have you broken pre-combines? That would also have a huge negative impact on your fps in that area in particular.

Lol, I had thought myself fairly tech savvy, but this is a term I’ve not encountered. What, pray tell, is a pre-combine, and why would I break it?

I haven’t played fallout 4 in a long ass while - not that framerate Was the problem, in 99% of the game I had framerates well over 60 fps at 1440p with modded higher res textures. I’ve just played the game to death.

Nonetheless I do recall it really bogging down in a couple of specific spots in downtown, and it was always my cpu holding everything back, which seemed odd to me.

1 Like

Hear you brother also never heard of pre combines and also did sink a few hundred hours in fallout 4 but I have to admit I never manged to finish it because I eventually bricked it with mods or did new fresh system install
( Looking back it’s a problem with nearly every fallout game I played fo3, fonv and fo4 and I think I never managed to finish one XD

Do you use a mod that had you go into Fallout4.ini and under the General header change bUseCombinedObjects=1 to bUseCombinedObjects=0?

PreCombines are a set of pre-combined 3Dobjects in the game, think the various debris pieces in Settlements you cant scrap or the large hedges in Sanctuary, that act as a work-around to have all of the objects Bethesda wanted in any given area without the performance loss of having all of those objects loaded individually. A precombine could be made of a couple of objects or possibly dozens of objects.

If you break precombines, by installing a mod like Scrap Everything for instance, suddenly you’ve multiplied how many objects are loaded every time you enter a cell. For some areas, like around Walden Pond, there won’t be much of any impact because there isn’t that much stuff there anyways. But downtown Boston? Bunker Hill? You’ve suddenly got who knows how many times more objects. Each of which now has its’ own shadow being rendered, possibly now has physics data applied to it depending on what it is, can be scrapped. That’s a massive computational load that wasn’t there previously in a game that isn’t that great at utilizing multiple cores to begin with.

1 Like

Yeah, most of my CPU usage is some emulators (heavy single-threaded) and occasionally a strategy like Factorio, Satisfactory, or Civ. I did try Anno but I wasn’t really a big fan of it.

I am still a little torn, I could buy a 5600 for half the price of 5800X3D. The problem is the discount on the 3D part is almost half, while on the Ryzen 5 is about 15% off the regular price.

Anyway, it should arrive this week and I may post here how big is the difference for my current R7 1800X.

1 Like

Ah, I get it now. I do recall some .ini edits, but no, none of the mods I used asked me to break the combines.