Let's talk about computers

I’d say go for the refund straight off the bat.
The thing is even if you fix it, the life span of the card will be shorter (if not severely shorter). There is a difference between a “used” card and a “used and abused” card and getting one at this condition lowers the value and overall usability of the card.

Im not a fan of letting hardware go to waste, but you can find plenty of 6700Xs in better condition

1 Like

Probably has been flashed with some mining bios.

This

I have a powercolor red devil card, although it is a rx 6900 xt, and from my experience silent bios should just adjust the fan curve so that it runs slower. Touching the power limit on mine in the silent mode to 15% yielded no crashes after 1 hour of Unigine Superposition although there were lower clock speeds when compared to the OC bios mode. I think you got a dud and you should definitely return it since the card’s condition is absolutely terrible.

Yeah, decided I’m going to try getting my money back. Tried keeping rational about the issues. We’ll see if the miner ever responds or if I have to get eBay involved.

Ebay can be pretty hit or miss with used cards, especially cards from miners. There’s the stigma of “don’t buy a used mining card. They’re always pushed to the max and will fail!” when in reality most miners take good care of their cards since they are the money makers for them. Obviously this time this is not the case. You got burned sadly. I hope you can get your money back.

Its like people who try to sell cars on fb marketplace “car runs great, no leaks, needs a new head gasket. $5000. Don’t lowball me” lol

Only one way to find out. To be honest, in my eyes, best case: I just get a full refund. Worst case, nothing comes of this. The bent fins and dirt is all that’s really repairable. It may be possible to re-flash the silent BIOS, but I’m not keeping my fingers crossed. I honestly don’t know how they managed to damage the card in such a way.

Steve understands!

3 Likes

SSDs continue to fall in price. The 2TB 990 PRO is on sale for $180. It should be fine to use now as long as you update to the latest firmware.

edit: some reviews report oddly mediocre game load time performance with this drive. So if that’s your #1 criteria, I’d go with something else

1 Like

Also make sure you update the firmware since Samsung newer gens have been having issues

Last I’ve heard, Sabrent has overtaken Samsung in reliability

1 Like

Pudget Systems now recommends Sabrent for their customers over Samsung for the most part, which is probably where that idea originated. So if reliability was your number one concern, then Sabrent is a safe bet. But it’s still too early to gauge the overall reliability of 990 pro

Just as an update, the miner denied abusing the card, but offered to refund… In 3 weeks. I said fuck that, got eBay involved after the 1 week period, and almost immediately got a response with eBay siding with me. It’s on its way back and should be there Monday, after which I’ll get a refund.

5 Likes

I just read this whole abused card saga off the link from the what did you buy today thread. I would love to hear this dude’s explanation for how the card ended up in that condition without being abused. What utter nonsense! :man_facepalming:

Glad you got your refund and a bought a different card though. :+1:

1 Like

1 Like

Ridiculous! Luckily, I have found the vast majority of folks selling on the net to be pretty decent, but every now and again you run into something like this. EBay stepped in a refunded you through their customer protection system though right?

1 Like

Yep. All photos used where taken immediately after unboxing the card

1 Like

Good news, bad news…
Good news, the new card showed up, it was double boxed, and the warranty sticker is still in one piece…
Bad news… It was not in the antistatic bag, and the heat sink fins are bent… Again it’s right by the fucking PCIe slot… WTF are people doing to cause this?!?

There one a bit off on the other side, but nowhere near as bad.

Its probably cause with mishandling when moving from 1 system to another, the performance hit is most likely insignificant so dont sweat it, the other card had way more red flags on it

4 Likes

So what was the bad news lol ?
Well the missing bag is pretty bad but you can actually find GPU marketing photos from heat sinks and would you know. Some have little bents on heat sinks.
They not perfect by any means gap variation, little bent here and there. If it performs ok… no issue.

Main thing this is to look at the picture it shows and not what the card looks.
Closed cases for the win. :rofl:

Aluminium has many qualities, heat conductivity, weight (density). Structural integrity, not one of its strong points.