Let's talk about computers

The RX6xxx series aged well. I just upgraded from a EVGA FTW2 GTX 1080ti to a RX 6950xt last month for $580 new. Still running AM4 w/ a drop in upgrade to a R7 5800x3d (purchased previously). My next upgrade will most likely be late gen AM5 or early AM6. At which time I will retire my Corsair Air 540 case and EVGA G3 850w PSU. I was lucky that the XFX Speedster MERC319 RX 6950xt fit in my case lol.

1 Like

In other news, leaks are suggesting that AMD might release 32 core and 24 core top end CPUs for AM5 with ZEN 5 and ZEN 5c CCDs. That would explain some of the beefy VRM configurations for AM5. Hopefully this goes into production, but I won’t hold my breath.

Kind of a follow-up from Buildzoid with some interesting insight that warrants looking into from GN/HUB/etc. Appears Starfield likes RAM bandwidth.

Persoanlly im not touching starfield for a 2-3 months just so they patch the big stuff, Also gotta finish baldur’s gate 3 first :smiley:

Yeah, I saw that video, but we shall see if that still holds true after a few patches. If it is still the case after that, then I guess Intel is the way to go for that game. Granted it is not advisable to upgrade/build your PC around one game, unless there is something game breaking. Hopefully AMD increases the max memory bandwidth for their CPUs in future AM5 releases. I don’t know if ZEN 5 is getting a complete redesign of the IO die, and improvements to the infinity fabric though. We shall see. For now it won’t matter much for me, as I am still stuck with DDR4.

thought AMD already had a round of bios updates that brought them up to par with intel on memory support

That was for higher clocked memory kits, but it doesn’t change the limitations of the CPU itself. ZEN 5 might benefit more from the 7000MT/s + kits than ZEN 4.

*The ZEN architecture is limited by the speed & bandwidth of its infinity fabric and IO die. There have been many improvements since ZEN 1, but they have plenty of room for further improvement. The good thing is that there will be several generations on the AM5 platform, so we might get a drop in upgrade that has those improvements.

1 Like

If you have a ZEN 4 chip I think you are fine either way though lol. The GPU is more of a limiting factor in that game.

Those numbers make no sense and I’ve no idea how he got them. I’ve got a 10900KF & 3080 12GB and I’m getting consistently over 60 on 1440p Ultra. No upscaling of any kind.

If i remember correctly they were benchmarking it in the worst performing area in the game. As a worst case scenario. Other reviews averaged out multiple areas of the game. So it is more like you should at least get what they listed, and not that you will get exactly the FPS they got.

This is probably one of the best AM5 motherboards for the money right now if you are planning on keeping the platform for its lifespan.
https://www.newegg.com/asrock-b650e-taichi-lite/p/N82E16813162135?Item=N82E16813162135&nm_mc=AFC-RAN-COM&cm_mmc=afc-ran-com-_-PCPartPicker&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=afc-ran-com-_-PCPartPicker&utm_source=afc-PCPartPicker&AFFID=2558510&AFFNAME=PCPartPicker&ACRID=1&ASID=https%3A%2F%2Fpcpartpicker.com%2F&ranMID=44583&ranEAID=2558510&ranSiteID=8BacdVP0GFs-bBURI24MuL3F_X8.XR3G3A

Asrock B650E Taichi Lite
It has a better VRM setup than most motherboards $500+, so it should be able to handle whatever AMD decides to release on the AM5 socket without issue. lol

Well…, at least it is priced right. I guess I made the right choice when I picked up my $580 6950xt.

AMD basically has the better value options from $300 to $1,000. The RTX 4060ti and RTX 4070 will need some serious price cuts, but I doubt Nvidia will lower them much further. They already dropped the price of the RTX 4060ti 16GB by $50.

1 Like

The reviewer response to the 7800XT is somewhat baffling. It preforms no better, or in some cases worse than the 6800XT, but they are generally fairly positive on it. Yes, it’s been released at $100 cheaper than the 6800XT was, but that doesn’t make up for zero to negative performance improvement. They quite rightly lambasted NVIDIA for that nonsense. But AMD gets a pass?

1 Like

it draws less power at least the reference, I think overclocking could help it out a bit but still pretty lackluster yeah, at least there are some smaller cards for smaller form factors, I didn’t see any dual fan/dual slot 6800xt designs

1 Like

Its more that they didn’t increase the price, and that Nvidia is still overpriced. AMD knows that people are willing to pay $500 for that performance level, and several retailers are already sold out of the 7800xt. Yes, that should have been a 7800 class card, but “xt” is good marketing just like Nvidia adding “ti” to cards that don’t meet that level of performance. The 7700xt will most likely start to drop in price as Nvidia adjusts their 4060ti pricing further. Once the 7700xt hits $400 or less it will make more sense. AMD is in a good place right now when it comes to price to performance. The only card that is odd right now is the 7900xt since it is going for $800+ right now, and for $100 more you can get the 7900xtx.

1 Like

Except for Intel trying to get a foot in the door, the GPU market is overpriced to hell.

AMD RX 7600 and Intel A770, which used to be midrange, can be found for 300€

RX 7700xt, 4070, etc. 500€ to 600€ is now somehow midrange, and performance is… medium.

800 and 1000€ used to be the truly special cards. Integrated watercooling, overbuilt VRM, etc. Is now an RGB wasteland for those with abundant money.

And somehow workstation-card tier is now High-end, and workstation cards are double what they used to be…

2 Likes

@Michael Hey bro, remember the suggestion that you gave me some years ago in regards to the settings that I have to do on my RAM sticks along with the CPU? It’s working fine now after updating my motherboard’s BIOS to its most recent version and the so called issues I had with my kit not running on 3600MHz is now gone, making the money I spent on this kit now worth it in the end, though still freaking overkill for my system. Again, I have to thank you for your help in regards to that problem I had.

1 Like

Uh guys, is this thread still alive? I just wanted to ask a question. I recently got this CPU and I admit I didn’t bought this on my own entirely, for I have requested some help from my family relatives to help me get this CPU.

My question would be, is there anything should I know like tweaks or settings in order to make this processor run as smooth as possible? Also did I made the right move getting this?

I think that you will need to check your BIOS version for compatibility. I think the 5800X3D required an updated BIOS version past the initial Zen3 BIOSes. Otherwise, really just leave things to auto. The X3D chips are pretty locked down, as far as what you can change to try to pull more performance.

Not to worry about the BIOS, for it is now at its most recent version. I gave the 5800X3D a whirl yesterday with some testing and all, and my god it’s much faster than my 3700X, it’s like a revelation being revealed right to my eyes and I believe in that revelation.

For real though, this CPU is just fast as hell and it’s a bit running on the hotter side and I am using a Deepcool Assassin 3 a cooler that is no slouch. Again, maybe that is just the 5800X3D being normal, just a bit worried of the temps. Then again undervolting it wouldn’t hurt I guess.