Let's talk about computers

Uh oh, to the beginners who are looking for a case like that Hyte Y60, let this video be a PSA. Then again it’s not uncommon for most stuff to be copied and imitated, but yeah it’s gonna suck for the buyers if they are looking for a case yet they received the one who got told by their mothers that it’s there at their homes.

2 Likes

I just got a huge win to get a completely silent noise floor on a gaming computer. There was a flash sale for 50% off an optical USB cable and put it on the powered USB hub and it’s the best upgrade in years. All the amplifiers and DACs have an inky black silent noise floor, couldn’t be happier. Corning came out with the first optical USB many years ago, but VR Headsets created a demand for shorter (15ft) cables and now prices have come way down. Just get one that’s USB A to C and a USB powered hub that has a removable C input cable.
This cable is 16ft so there’s lots of room to move it away from all the other electronics, and everything plugged into a Cyberpower Sine Wave UPS. I just put it into a USB port right on the motherboard in the back and it’s so much better than optical since the whole hub can use it also. Archimago did measurements years back, it’s pretty substantial reduction in noise floor.
Undervolting the video card helped a lot to get rid of coil whine and increase performance while dropping temps dramatically so I could lower the fan curves and still run cool enough under load. A Febsmart USB card helped a little, but the optical USB cable was dramatic when the noise floor dropped to complete silence. Tuesday I’ve got a Topping L30 II coming to pair with an E50 DAC and see just how low it can go. I’ve had them before and it’s the quietest amplifier ever measured on ASR (100 on the 50mv test). If you have a gaming system, I’d highly recommend doing this before anything else, cable on lightning sale with a coupon was $38 and I had the hub already. Going to listen to everything all over again now that details just jump out.

1 Like

my computer system has changed now…I’m running a Dell G15 5515 with a Ryzen 5 5600H, 32GB RAM, 1TB and 512GB SSD, RTX 3050 GPU on Win 11 Pro. it has a 15.6" FHD 120hz screen and I bought an Arzopa 15.6" FHD USB-C external display to go with it.

what are you all running now?

Still running my 10900KF, Strix 4090, 4x8 G-Skill 4000 C15, 4 SSDs of various capacity, Windows 10 in a Define R6.

I intend to finally upgrade once Arrow Lake and the 9000X3D chips are out so I can see what I want to build.

2 Likes

also excited for 9000 X3D chips but probably not upgrading my 12600k for another gen, looking to trade in my 6750xt when next gen GPU’s come around though

1 Like

Sticking with my R7 5800x3d & RX 6950 xt for now. AM4 still has some life left in it :wink:. The 9800x3d will be interesting to see how it preforms, but I expect that most prior gen x3d owners will hold out for the following generation. We shall see though. :joy:

1 Like

Main desktop is Endeavour OS with a ryzen 5600x and rx 6900xt and my fun mess around laptop a lenovo x1 yoga gen 4 that is running fedora with gnome currently . Maybe a few years later the 5800x3d chip falls in terms of used price. The switch over to linux has some headaches mainly with some apps being stuck for no reason but been smooth. Somehow my arch based install has been more stable than my times with ubuntu and fedora based distros.

1 Like

I’m using an AMD 5600X and RX6700 with 32GB RAM and it’s incredibly efficient on power. I under-volted the video card and it doesn’t heat up the room like my old Intel/Nvidia 3080 did. For 1440p it’s enough for 100-140fps with all details maxed in Destiny 2 so I’m good with it. Don’t have plans to upgrade until I go with a 4k monitor, for 2k this is really good.
I’ve been reading how the new 50 series of Nvidia is going to be a huge leap in performance, so current high end cards will probably tumble pretty far in price. Not going to buy anything until they arrive and see how low a 4080 is going to go as they clear out inventory for the new ones. Using twin boot with Linux Mint and Windows 11 and just downloaded the ISO for Manjaro since it seems to have really good support for AMD stuff.

50 series is also rumored to be a power hog (5090 600watts) lmao

Wasn’t the 4090 originally rumored to be well above 600 watts before it came out, and it didn’t happen. We shall see what the final product yields. :laughing:

I think that was for the rumored 4090ti/super that got scrapped, from what I remember we were expecting less power than 30 series

No, the initial rumors for the 4090 were 600W, just like they are saying for the 5090.

1 Like

Yeah, the rumored 4090ti variant was supposed to be 800 watts plus. lol

If there was any truth to any of those rumors it would have most likely came down to Nvidia testing the limits of the chips via a one off prototype.

The internal child in me is fighting the urge to buy one of these cheap Thinkpad T420s and just upgrading the living hell out of it. I mean for price it might be a fun project or something. The charger is prob worth more than laptop