Moving story, great presentation of environment

American History X

Powerful movie, still remember it to this day, memorable

Requiem for a Dream

Shocking, scary, changed my life movie

Eternal Sushine of the Spotless Mind

Very artistic, lots of imagery

Amadeus

Great soundtrack, interesting story, one of my favorite composers, fantastic acting

Oldboy

Only watch the dubbed version, very shocking, keeps you guessing story, intriguing

Pan’s Labyrinth

Lots of imagery, beautiful story

Se7en

Classic, good storyline, loved the content and suspense

Children of Men

Orwellian/end of the world situation, good presentation of story

Big Fish

Very artistic, loved the environment and presentation

Donnie Darko

Interesting, philosophical

Muholland Dr.

Cryptic, lots of imagery, interesting, discussion film

Mystic River, Cloud Atlas, Dear Zachary

6 Likes

Nice picks, I was thinking of City of God, one of my favorite movies.

I have seen pretty much all of those, except fight club.

My picks:

Y Tu Mamá También - This one stood out as a movie I liked that I haven’t seen in a while.

Sexy Beast - Ben Kingsley

Brazil - if you can stand Terry Gilliam movies

Memento - because why not

Babadook - if you want a slightly scary movie

Green Room - if you want something intense

Frank - dude with a big mask in a rock band

2 Likes

Today’s recommendations

Outlaw gangster VIP series - highly influential series of nikkatsu yakuza films. Very repetitive and serialized but very fun

The yakuza films of kinji fukasaku
Cops vs thugs, battles without honor or humanity, doberman cop, street mobster. Etc if you ever wanted to know what movies the yakuza games stole their plots and fashion from but with utterly no campiness and a stinging indictment of japanese culture there are for you

Deep red - argento. Greatest giallo ever

The thieves - South Korea. One of the best heist films in the last 10 years

Jiro dreams of sushi - fantastic doc on the skills and sacrifices to be devoted to ones craft

Burning - one of the greatest thrillers ever

An elephant sitting still - a novelists sole directing effort before he commited suicide - a solitary masterpiece. 4 hours long

Ash is the purest white
A touch of sin
Fantastic chinese dramas

Black coal, thin ice - fantastic chinese murder mystery. Better original title was daylight fireworks

Kaili blues and long days journey into night by Bi Gan - genius works of cinematic memory. Tarkovskian

4 Likes

one of my favorite documentaries all time

1 Like

I just watched, Road to Perdition.
It was pretty good, worth the time, hit man dealing with his gangster life. It’s older but kept my interest.

2 Likes

That role got Daniel Craig the Bond movies. I love Paul Newman, and that’s one of his last films, but Daniel Craig stole every scene he was in

1 Like

My favorite all time and will probably always be favorite movie is hands down Goodfellas. Great pacing, amazing cast, awesome narration. Great visual for its time. I’ve owned it on vhs, dvd, Blu-ray, digital, and even on the 4K hdr remaster which is actually a very impressive remaster. Nice colors and dynamic range in night scenes. Oooooh love that movie.

Amazing soundtrack too. Damn. I think imma watch it again. I think I watch it at least 5 times a year.

2 Likes

I actually liked Craig in defiance.

2 Likes

A whole bunch of the scenes in Goofellas were filmed in my old neighborhood in Astoria, Queens with a bunch of scenes around the corner and about 4 blocks from my old house. Love that movie.

1 Like

Also love big Lebowski haha. Classic great soundtrack as well.

A awesome war movie if you have a full 5.1 or 7.1 system is Fury. So intense. Like tanks rolling across your floor haha.

2 Likes

That’s super awesome! Yeah I love it. I put it on to test out my new speakers and tv recently (a quick test) and sat through it all. I can’t not watch it through if I see a few minutes lol.

1 Like

I’m also a sucker for basically anything Tarantino as well. (Not kill bill really though) but favorite is reservoir dogs.

Any one else rank their Tarantino films if they like them?

Mine would be as follows.

Reservoir dogs
Jackie brown
Pulp fiction
Inglorious bastards
Django unchained
Once upon a time in Hollywood
Hateful eight
Deathproof
Then the kill bills.

I dunno I may be fair and put the kill bills above deathproof lol.

4 Likes

I waited so long to see hateful eight because i didn’t feel interested. Plus I was like man that like 3 and a half hours. Too long. But then the Netflix 4K 4 episode version came out and I was like “okay, I can’t handle splitting up 4 hour long episodes”.

Started it at like 1 in the morning with the plan to watch one episode and maybe 1 a night. Then ended up watching it all the way through till 5 haha. Went to bed and woke up with my 1 year old at the time at like 6:30

Punk rock! Haha.

1 Like

I love the Kill Bill movies, but I like almost everything he’s done. I have to say that Hateful Eight was my least favorite. I thought the twist was a gimmick, and I felt that some of the dialogue missed more than it usually does in his films. I can see Deathproof being at the bottom, but come on. Stunt Man Mike? Maybe the best character he’s created without the last name Vega

And I give him all credit for True Romance. I know it wouldn’t have turned out the same way if he directed it, but for once I think it was a benefit

2 Likes

Yeah I think the overdone blood pouring out of arms was too much for me in kill bill. Even though I’m not afraid of gore.

Yeah hateful eight was pretty drawn out.

My absolute favorite thing about hateful eight though was the wind blowing throughout the movie. So great on surround sound. My girlfriend was tripping out thinking it was outside the whole time haha.

I just loved feeling that atmosphere in the movie. I did like Russell in it though. But I’m a sucker for Russell. Even liked him in breakdown even though the movie itself was pretty foolish ha.

Edit: the throwing up blood part made me cringe so hard though. Eghhh haha.

And yes stunt man mike was great but the movie itself, still great but it’s Down there for me.

I love the soundtrack, but yeah, it’s not his best and he admits as much. After the car wreck it loses direction. But there’s this song:

Maybe my favorite random soundtrack song I’d have never heard otherwise. I thought the lack of an amazing soundtrack was my only negative for Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Kill bill 2 has one of my favorite monologues:

Haha that is a great scene.

Haven’t watched kill bill since I was like 15. Maybe I’ll give it another shot with my expanded horizons and more mature brain :grimacing: