šŸ”¶ Mangird XENNS UP

Ok. Here is my, hopefully, final take on the Xenns UP before I make and release my deep dive video in a week or twoā€¦

If you enjoy reading this detailed impression, please feel free to check out my rankings list where I try to make such detailed notes and comparisons for many other headphones/IEMā€™s. I give not just an impression, but I also try to sum up what Iā€™ve seen in the community and reflect on giving practical buying advice

I hope this helps your buying decisionsā€¦

Xenns UP Detailed Impressions. Where does it go in a collection?

Very fun bass without losing too much on resolution, for my ear anyway. This set has mixed feelings by reviews so far. Some audio community members find the bass elevated to the point where the mids are too recessed for their liking. While I also hear the mids less on this set than I might on something like the MEST, theyā€™re still present enough for me to enjoy.

The treble though, less impinged by the psychoacoustic effect of the bass as the mids may be, is clear as can be. The result of the pristine clarity of treble, the fun full sound of bass, and adequate and true to life mids, makes for an extremely enjoyable set for some buyers. The caveat, for even someone like myself who enjoys this sound signature, is that there are bass heavy mastered tracks that may be overwhelming with the UP.

I would say these arenā€™t good for the entire rap genre, for example, but it depends on the master of the track - some are beautiful sounding on this set if the bass isnā€™t too exaggerated. Generally, Iā€™ve enjoyed my library of jazz, classical, electronic (track dependent as with rap), classic rock, acoustics, and vocalists. Particularly with acoustics, I find a lot of enjoyment with the harmonics surrounding string plucks and slides. Maybe not the best like MEST, but very good overall if taken with the caveat of the bass as mentioned.

This is a hit or miss set for potential buyers. For me, this set along with the MEST make an interesting partnership on a two-IEM-only collection as they have very different takes on musical enjoyment. MEST for general clarity and ultimate resolution and staging, UP for a fun change of bass. Hah! See what I did there?

In my situation, coming from owning the Clairvoyance and MEST, and listening to the Clairvoyance less and less when I have the MEST as an option, I no longer need or find time to enjoy the Clairvoyance in my collection and daily use. Time will tell if the UP retains its enjoyment for me, as some effect of enjoying them is the novelty of them to my ears and what Iā€™ve been using.

In time, I could see having only the MEST in my ears again. But, for now anyway, Iā€™m very much enjoying the bass option and hope that that joy remains over time enough to merit keeping them.

8 Likes

I have new information regarding the Xenns Up (for anyone interested in this set) but first Iā€™ll re-post my reply to Veritas, even though it was hidden (was not meant to be inflammatory what so ever) since I feel it is necessaryā€¦

My Xenns Up cable was not only defective but Iā€™m also told the set is most probably defective as well. Itā€™s the reason why my set sounded so congested and poor. When we were going back and forth about the cable with Linsoul, I found it interesting that they required me to destroy the cable to prove to them that I wasnā€™t lying about it being DOA in an attempt to get a second cable out of them for free.

In the end, I was very upset over this entire transaction. I ultimately gave up on trying and have asked for a complete refund. Again, sorry if I offended anyone while Iā€™ve been enraged over this product.

11 Likes

Iā€™m sorry to hear about your experiences. No one wants to run into problems, especially that early on
I am another +1 on Sarda. It was the pair that made me take iems more seriously and wish I could let you demo them

5 Likes

Thatā€™s terrible. Unfortunate too since now potential buyers have to worry if their set will sound as intended. Like, what if any one of ourā€™s looks cosmetically fine but has a malfunctioning driver? Ugh

3 Likes

Given the price of the set, I understand you go mad about that.

About cutting wires: it can be a habit with some manufacturer to deal with RMA. I remember Logitech doing that too, because they offered a change of gear without you having to send the original back. Cutting the wire and sending them the picture was a way to prove you didnā€™t try to fool them. In a way, it is a win-win situation: they have the certainty you donā€™t lie, and you donā€™t have the hastle to print a label and send a parcel. And no-one is paying for the product to be sent back.

Itā€™s not really good for the planet, and could prevent some further inquiry about the failure, though.

2 Likes

Itā€™s a shame that this kind of experience has to be repeated over and over again.

The QC of ChiFi products is still mediocre at best.

I have already reported on my experiences with it earlier.

The bad thing is especially the reversal and the effort it takes until the money is back in your own account.

1 Like

OK, but is it overwhelming because the UPs canā€™t handle that much bass, or do the UPs reveal the bass as sounding bad in those tracks?

For example, if you play ā€˜LOTPā€™ by Congi, a lot of bass-pandering headphones can be overwhelmed, but on a good system, whilst the bass is over done, it still sounds good.
Whereas ā€˜Slingshotā€™ by Lil Xan has a very ugly bass sound design which can also overwhelm a lot of headphones - but itā€™s bad to begin with.

Hmmmm. Good question. In my opinion or taste, the general elevation of the whole bass shelf in the UP can create too much of the range and be distracting.

I wouldnā€™t say the bass is driven with poor driver speed, or ā€œmuddyā€ bass. It sounds more to me that the drivers are likely doing a good job. But hey, my experience with bass oriented gear is somewhat limited I suppose. Though, I have heard poorly delivered bass (old generations of beats for example, or car systems with bass turned up).

I find the bass to be ā€œclean.ā€ I think itā€™ll just come down to taste.

Or maybe I need more experience with good bass IEMs/headphones!

EDIT: Here is the UP against the MEST.

You can see how much the UP, comparatively is elevated across the lower end, which will impact the mids in such a way that those kids appear recessed. The effect of this is that the UP can sound ā€œveiledā€ to some ears that are looking for more clear mids. I like the quality of the bass, but yes, they can overwhelm a track and take from the other qualities that track can offer. Take, a male vocal rap track where the bass elevation that extends into the low mids can kind of ā€œoverwhelmā€ the experience and steal attention from those male voices and other instruments.

Looking at the graph, it can also make sense why the upper mids/treble tuning appears clear and strings, female focals stand out well.

1 Like

I think the UPs shelf starts too early around 600hz, that is probably what causes this effectā€¦

2 Likes

OK, I know what you mean now, thanks :slight_smile:
My interpretation is that for relatively neutral tracks, you get a little more bass energy than neutral IEMs, but tracks with overwhelming bass can start to characterise the lower mids - a little bit of bleed so to speak; not necessarily a deal breaker, but worth noting.
Definitely still on my short list - but looking forward to all the other aforementioned IEMs too >=D

Wouldnā€™t it it be nice to have unlimited money :blush:

1 Like

This. This so much.

1 Like

Dealing with chinese stores is absolutely infuriating, i have recently purchased a KBear Rhyme cable for the Teas and the left channel is not working, i contacted their customer service and they asked me to record a freaking VIDEO showing that the cable is not working, and not only that! I had to record more than one video showing that the IEM i am testing with actually works! LOL

I mean, you are the customer and to their eyes you are lying until you prove you are not, in my case i purchased 4 other cables from them and never had any issues so i have a buyerā€™s history there, frankly spending the time to record and upload videos for a $20 cable is almost not worth itā€¦

Meanwhile in North America you can just return anything for a refund just because you changed your mind about the purchase, the experience is worlds apart.

2 Likes

Costs have to be cut somewhere to get those Chi-fi prices, though, and proper warranty coverage/follow through is one place to cut. Thatā€™s not much of an issue when youā€™re dealing with a BL-03 for $30, but itā€™s a big issue when youā€™re charging many hundreds of dollars.

I would say that this is more of a Linsoul issue than a China issue. Linsoul could fix a lot of this by having a proper independent US distributor than handles product sales and warranty issues. Itā€™s just too easy and tempting to screw with customers who live in two different societies with different laws and cultures thousands of miles apart. The legal systems really donā€™t mean much of anything at that point, which means the only thing keeping your warranty valid is the companyā€™s tolerance for avoiding bad press.

Unique Melody is one of the best IEM makers in the world, and theyā€™re Chinese. Difference is, they have had proper QC for a long time, and they have a US distributor. That removes so much of the potential risk compared to Linsoul purchases, even though the one US distributor for UM is just a one-man operation. That distributor is MusickTek, and you can see plenty of Chinese brands that can hack it in the US while being able to be held accountable.

This whole situation that @Resolution had to go through is inexcusable for such an expensive product. I was interested in these at first despite my stance on Linsoul, but after seeing that, nope.

6 Likes

Iā€™m not sure if this is available over there but if you buy from Linsoul through Aliexpress (DD Audio Store) thereā€™s a 15-Day Free Return. I never used it either from DD Audio or any other store so I cannot confirm if that would work but is this available over there?

1 Like

For the record, Iā€™ve never had a problem with any product Iā€™ve purchased from Linsoul except for the metal nozzle coming off on a Legacy 5 which Linsoul bent over backwards to resolve.

Iā€™m confident Linsoul will make this right. This is the first time Iā€™ve received a product that was completely defective.

2 Likes

Oh i wish i knew that, i sold mine and lost around $100. But i dont think the return policy covers situations such as mine, my set was not defective.

1 Like

Iā€™m having the weirdest experience this weekend. Terrible sleep several days in a row, never having a chance to listen to these or other IEMā€™s in any environment other than a car or in an apartment with the noise of the AC blasting in the backgroundā€¦

And I find myself not having joy with the Xenns UP. But then I tried the MEST, my always-joy when Iā€™m at home (Iā€™m on a road trip now). And even now, trying the MEST, Iā€™m not finding joy either. Then the Clairs, same thing.

Does this ever happen to people or am I screwing up my brainā€™s acoustic expectations with all this testing and back and forth?

Iā€™m telling myself itā€™ll be better when I get back home, when I get a good sleep, and listen in a quiet room again. Maybe with a glass of whiskey.

I just need to be careful not to tell you all my opinions under these circumstances because nothing is doing it for me right now.

2 Likes

It totally happens. Sometimes Iā€™m just not in the mood, or I feel like Iā€™m stressed or maybe even had one too many cups of coffee and then Iā€™m like ā€œWhy is this thing that I liked yesterday bothering me right now?ā€. Frame of mind is a big factor in listening enjoyment.

6 Likes

If you watch folks do reviews enough you can see when they are not in the game.
Scariest vids are ones a casual has no idea is a bash job because a person was being ā€¦human. Not intentional but I have sat up 30 seconds into vids and knew somethin was offā€¦

Never know what is going on in peoples lives
Cancer
Depression
Just a bad damned day

Seen it many times

7 Likes

Oh and side note pertaining to potential quality control issues with the UPā€¦

When I first tried them, there was an odd white noise type of sound on them and then the music stopped mid playback. They started up again and I think they were the same quality as before this sound occurred. I donā€™t know why Iā€™m only thinking of it now but it happened within the first minutes of trying them.

Did a driver die or something and Iā€™ve been loving them regardless? Lol