Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Headphones

But the 58x isn’t neutral :thinking::thinking::thinking:

Neutral-ish :stuck_out_tongue: Sorry, I’m treble sensitive, I needed that bass bump.

I believe HD58Xs are pretty much neutral and even treble-y when they’re new, new pads, loose fit, etc.

If my ears would be normal I would praise the 6XXs, 650s etc., but they aren’t. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Just messin with ya :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Do you happen to know what dB level you typically listen at?

4 Likes

They’re such good performers for the price, great for critical listening without sounding overly clinical, they’re easy to drive, and have a bit more low end than all the 6 series options. Plus, you can’t get any other manufacturer direct equivalent, like the 6XX to 650, if you want the 58X, you can only get the 58X from Drop.
Buy two, keep one in storage. If they ever stop producing it, it’s going to jump in value.
I had the HD58X, I loved them. My only problem was my ears picked up similar issues that Metal571 heard, ever so slight treble graininess. So, I had to sideline them, sell them, then upgrade.
They did vocals well, gave me enough information in the low end, and enough treble energy with a slight distorted zing in cymbals or synth stabs. But you had to really listen for it.
The gloss headband might be a bit much for some, but masking tape and PLASTI DIP rubber paint is so cheap that 1 hour of your time could easily fix that. Plenty of modders have gone the painting route.
TLDR; like Rob Schneider said, you can do it

1 Like

I have been so close to buying the 58X several times, but the build is too crappy. I want something that doesn’t look like it can break in the hands of a child.

It doesn’t feel cheap, but it does look a bit cheaper, I would say its better then other builds of high end headphones for sure though

The two-tone color makes me think of having a mullet haircut = the idea may have seemed good, but IRL it was the mother of bad ideas

1 Like

Lol, yeah. You could consider the 6xx then if you were bothered by the finish

I added the LCD2C to my stable for that reason (In addition to sound quality) and went to far into the “sturdy build” territory. Now, I have rugby neck, if you could even call it that. My shoulders just ascend to my head.

I know, but the price is just so tempting…

But I will wait with buying a new headset; my DT 1990 arrived just last week and a cable for it from OIDIO a few days later. I’m happy :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

Lol after I went for some of the more heavy audeze (or other heavy headphones), now I really don’t have any issues with weight anymore

1 Like

It took getting used to. I won’t lie, the first week of listening, I would get neck pain and headaches (many people don’t, so if you’re reading this, don’t be discouraged, it’s because I have weak genes), but I adjusted to them overtime. No more soreness. They’re not light, but when I really get into music, I would lean forward like a philosopher and just close my eyes. They were that good for me. Though again, a bit uneven in the treble and slight graininess. Forgiven though, because the out of head sound was more what I was seeking for live recordings of rock music, or rock in general. Now, my shoulders got all the “rock” they needed.

1 Like

@adam Not like 11.11 is coming up or anything… IEMs cough

1 Like

Lol, perhaps getting an audeze lcd 2 or higher is a worthwhile investment for those looking to buff up their neck and shoulders for whatever sport

1 Like

Ahhh yes, what a great time to get into some more chifi with less regret then normal

The Sennheiser HD580 and HD600 family of headphones are really durable. I have an HD 580 Precision that must me more than 15 years old by now. Other than some wear on the pads, it still looks new. I suppose a malicious child could break one, but a malicious child could break just about anything.

I got my Blon 03s come in last night. It’s not even broken in yet and I already have some V90s and 16 core cables queued up for 11.11, lol.

1 Like

The colors are the worst part, I really don’t like that.