Metal music thread & IEM for it

:purple_heart: :purple_heart: :purple_heart:

2 Likes

Thanks for the tracks.

Those double pedals :heart:

1 Like
2 Likes

Today Iā€™m at a Soulfly concert in my hometown. Grandioso!! Iā€™m going thereā€¦

:grinning: :boom: :metal:

6 Likes

:grinning:

3 Likes

Hmm, has anyone found an IEM in the sub-$200 range that can beat Olina SE yet?

:shushing_face:

2 Likes

I wonā€™t say ā€œbeatsā€ Olina, but does things differently in ways Olina doesnā€™t:

• Simgot EA500 ($70-79)
  • Tri Starsea ($109)
  • Juzear 41T ($150)
  • Sound Rhyme SR5 ($150)
  • TinHifi P1 Max ($99)
  • Fiio JD7 ($80)
4 Likes

Itā€™s possible. Since I bought the $69 olina, I havenā€™t bought budget IEMs. Comparing Olina SE with some of my more expensive IEMs, I can say that it is difficult to find a better soundstage (3D, separation). Which of the IEMs above has a similar stage?

Only speaking for myself, to my ear, all of them (except for SR5 and P1 Max), have soundstage that either compete with Olina or I find have a special sauce in their staging

1 Like

Iā€™ve started reading the reviews for the JD7, I think Iā€™m impressed. It is available in an online store in my country. Weā€™ll see if it takes Olinaā€™s budget crown :balloon:

3 Likes

This goes in the rubric: ā€œThe Eternal Masterpieces of Metal Musicā€!

BTW - With this you can check technicality, speed, scene, etc. on your IEMs. Because most of you use Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Metallicaā€¦ :joy: :rofl: :sweat_smile:. Please donā€™t do it.

3 Likes

Olina SE presents:

^^^ For some strange reason this album sounds best on the ā€œturtleā€ :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

99% of metal songs have bad production, most are dark and some have overly bright production. almost all have a muddy distant garbage sound to them because they were recorded in an untreated regular nasty room and lets be real, metal wont sell so the budget is limited and non existent unlike some rich and well known producers or bands like michael jackson or eagles that would spend millions to produce an album because they know its gonna sell 10x more.
i collected more than 5k+ albums over the past 11 years and maybe 50 of them have acceptable production so i would say a cheap single dd iem that is neutrally tuned would be more than enough for most metal music in general.

The old bands have bad mastering, but I disagree about the new ones! A cheap DD can, but if it is at the level of Olina SE, because this is the most difficult music to play. A lot of dudes think that metal can be played by all IEMs, but thatā€™s definitely not the case! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I would say it was going better and better until the beginning of the '00s and that stupid ā€œloudness warā€ (low dynamic range) that ruined most productions until the end of the '10s. They went as far as ā€œremasteringā€ older tracks with that garbage.

For whatever reason people got their heads sorted out like 5 years ago and now we can find well produced fresh metal, and oldies are getting properly remastered (eg Slaughter of the Soul full dynamic range edition from At the Gates) or quietly reissued with better production (eg first 4 Metallica albums on streaming platforms).

There are communities on forums that share the best sounding versions they can find, whether it is a vinyl rip, a DVD/blu-ray rip, a limited edition CDā€¦ Even for those dreaded 15 years you can find proper, high-DR recordings. But it takes a bit of time.

Anyway, sorry, there is no escaping the HiFi rabbit hole with a cheap single DD, even for metalheads.
\m/

3 Likes

Exactly. For this music you need a good IEM, which is almost always not cheap.
And about the mastering - there are already many well mastered albums, here I post only those! Iā€¦I

2 Likes

For the technical very fast stuff you post I have a reasonably inexpensive set that do very well : KZ PR1 Pro. It is priced between 50 and 100ā‚¬, for that price you get a very fast planar driver with some physicality to its sound (approaching DD territory) and controlled upper mids / low treble with a dip at 5 kHz that helps a lot on metal music (for me).

For slower stuff I got excellent results with @Rikudou_Goku mod on CCA CRA (OG) from 1-2 years ago, very easy to do : adding foam and swapping mesh filters. About 30ā‚¬ for the IEM and the modding material.
I will edit this message if I find the mod again.

1 Like

Yes. And I have heard about this IEM from elsewhere. I will probably try it because the price is not high.

Just beware they have more upper treble energy than usual. For metal itā€™s fine, there is not much info up there, just high hats of a drum kit will be more present.
I use Final E tips with these to have a little bit less energy up top and little bit more down low on the bass.

1 Like