Metal music thread & IEM for it

I’m a sick fan of JR and LH. Goes to the subject: “Masterpieces”:

:purple_heart: :metal: :heart_on_fire: :fire:

2 Likes

wouldn’t say dr is everything tbh specially if you are listening with an iem.
this song has 4.5 dr , but it sounds alright. sure it sounds digitally and non real and the instrument mesh together more.

this song however got 9 dr, and still sounds muffled. more realistic/open sound and better contrast of instruments but the way they mixed it like the way they eqed the snares somehow kills it for me or maybe its the way they recorded it idk.

most of the songs i have are cd rips, and almost 8 out of 10 time i prefer the cd ones over the vinyl rips. vinyls just don’t have the upper frequencies of cds for some reason so they sound softer than cds despite them having 12+ dr on average(different mastering? idk) not to mention the background noise they have. but the sad part is most cd versions have way lower dr, almost half the vinyl rips most of the time.
though i would love to have dr8 to 15 on cds,to have the clean sound of cds with a dynamic and more
open/realistic sound.

3 Likes

I can only sympathize with all you’ve expressed.
And yes you’re right general quality is not strictly correlated to dynamic range.

A couple of years ago I spent a lot of time on a certain torrent tracker / forum from Russia to try and find the best versions (to my preferences) of my all-time favorite albums and the rule is there is no general rule, except that hi-res meant nothing to my ears. So although I was ready to pay a premium for high quality streaming I found out oversampling bad recordings… Let them just as bad as they were on CD. Even MQA. Pointless. So I had to go the dirty road with torrents to find my stuff via online communities because the best stuff is just not for sale, with some exceptions (Trivium’s Vengeance Falls re-released on a great StudioMasters edition, bought it legally).
So you have to painstakingly try a dozen rips and sometimes I prefer a vinyl, sometimes a Japan-only CD, sometimes a SACD which I still don’t know what it is exactly :grin:, sometimes a Blu-ray, heck sometimes a videogame (remember how the Guitar Hero version of Metallica’s Death Magnetic was better than every other release ?).

At the same time that I find that these last five years sound quality has progressed in general, I can’t seem to find audiophile releases anymore (like the Trivium and At the Gates I mentioned). Either I am not searching hard enough, or the fiasco of hi-res, MQA and the likes has turned companies off a very niche market.

TLDR what albums are you looking for ?

2 Likes

Looks interesting…

:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Tempted to go if only to meet Zeos :smiley:

1 Like

For Zeus, good, but take some THIEAUDIO products to check how they sound, for example MK3, LTD/OG, because I won’t be able to go :slightly_smiling_face:.

1 Like

London :flushed:…we kinda like our quite life on the barge here…but not too far away at the mo…20 minutes to the train station/parking…then 30 mins to the smoke…oooo people though :grimacing: :smile:

2 Likes

Save the whales :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

This is to the series: “Powerful Brainstorming”:

^^^Has anyone listened to this with HYPE2? :nerd_face: :metal: :fire:

^^^This is brutally good! :cold_face:

1 Like

Something for good night. This is about the series: “The idea is important and the music becomes perfect”

:blush:

If you want to get closer to the perfection of metal music - M7 + 4.4 + Candy Tips + IE600 + this song:

And if you want to be closest to God - SA6 MK2 + M7 + 4.4 + Soft silicone tips + this album:

Happy listening…

4 Likes

Case in point I absolutely hate how Soen have produced their previous album “Imperial”. It sounds veiled and sibilant at the same time, worst case scenario ! The music itself must be great… live…

1 Like

I like Imperial OG better too, but the idea isn’t bad. Live will be fire.

1 Like

This acoustic one sounds fine though

1 Like

Interesting! A lot of dudes comment on SA6 MK2 without having listened to it :smile:. And other reviewers review SA6 MK2 with bad records and very old bands. This IEM corresponds exactly to its price and a little above, and tuning is a matter of taste. If you don’t like FR, it doesn’t mean that he is technically incompetent. :upside_down_face:
I understand that if a new IEM like this comes out, everyone goes for it and tries to hit the old IEM. Not all old IEMs are bad, ladies and gentlemen. Be more serious. :slightly_smiling_face:
^^^ I’m posting this in this thread too, just so you know…

Hi.
For me metal IEM == AuR Neon Pro.

1 Like

Try this. you’d be surprised how good it is for metal!