šŸ”· Meze 99 Classic/Neo/Noir

These are pretty divisive headphones like the Nighthawk lol. A lot of people like them, others donā€™t like the lost details in sacrifice for that extra bass. They are a great fun pair though, nice and portable too. Enjoy!

I have the 99 Classicā€™s and have had them for a few years. Beautiful headphones, Very comfortable and super easy to drive. They are not my best headphones, but I really do like them and they are my running around headphones. Sounds Great out of my LG V30.

I have no problem with eyeglasses either. If the Noir is truly the same headphones at $200.00 (and occasionally $160.00!!), that is a screaminā€™ deal.

let us all know how they work out. Ill prob order a set myself soonish to try. I tried my HM5 sheep skin on them but it made them to V shaped and the mids where a tad hallow. adding some felt to the bake of the sheep skins brought the treble bake in line but the bass took to much of a hit it just seemed to have gotten washed out.

Okay okay okay wow. I love the alcantara pads on these. If any bass is lost itā€™s so minuscule that I cant tell. It actually sounds tighter if anything I feel. Iā€™ll swap back and forth to try to hear more difference but first impressions, it does not ruin the sound. Even better I feel. And oh my god so much more comfy. Totally worth the 40 bucks. Now I can tolerate wearing them.

Also no mids are still there. The difference seems so small. But the comfort it upped 200 percent. Never going back! Haha

1 Like

I feel like sound is moved a tad bit away, but detail is still there, maybe better. I dunno. I think these pads are a definite win for me. Everything feels tighter. Maybe treble up ever so slightly.

They are very slightly too big but they stay in the ring perfectly fine. Just a little extra play in there.

1 Like

you talking about these pads?

https://www.amazon.com/Shure-HPAEC1540-Replacement-Alcantara-Headphones/dp/B00HXAV0UY

Yeah those are the ones. Iā€™m out from my house and havenā€™t tried switching back and forth yet to really pin point the difference. But overall I think they are great. I like the sound still. Good punch, maybe slightly higher treble but still very mellow to listen too.

I will swap back and forth and listen to the same song with both to identify it better and will report back. I know for sure though that they sound good still. And way more comfortable.

Man itā€™s tough. Iā€™m a b-ing the two pads and I dunno. They are really close. I feel like the sound signature isnā€™t changed much with the alcantara. The foam is a tad thicker so if anything I feel like a little volume is lost, like I turn it up 3-4 clicks on my hiby but then it goes back to sounding similar. The original pads may be a tad fuller sounding, but only slightly. I dunno. I think the original pads sound a tiny bit better, but I just like the feeling of the alcantara more so I will stick with those. I donā€™t think much is lost I guess what Iā€™m saying. The sound isnā€™t really better or worse, and if so only slightly. I think stuff is brought a little further away.

Does it justify the 40 bucks? If you want a different material with a slight change to sound yes. I think they do a good job of keeping a good sound. In some ways maybe even more natural??? I dunno. I donā€™t wanna steer anyone in the wrong direction here. But I like them and I think Iā€™ll find myself wearing these more now.

However I could be wrongā€¦ maybe youā€™ll hate them. :flushed:. Donā€™t 100 percent put your faith in me.

I just remember once when I changed pads on my hifimans and m50s and my immediate thought was, ā€œwow these sound like shitā€. I can confidently say I didnā€™t get that. And if the sound is changed more than I can tell, well itā€™s not enough for me to dislike lol. I did have to turn it up slightly though, as a little volume is lost like I said.

Edit: vocals may be a tad bit more recessed. I donā€™t know. Iā€™m bad at comparison. I give up lol. Thereā€™s something different but I just canā€™t put my finger on it. Some music sounds more natural in a way to me. But still with good bass impact.

hmm. i was hoping for something that would be like the new pads. i really like the sound on them better than the original pads. but the bass lol. so bloated and loose. i wanted pads that would tighten up the bass.

The new pads are the bigger ones right? Thatā€™s what I was comparing them too. Itā€™s a tough comparison. The sound is changed a little but not dramatically and not in a bad way in my opinion. I donā€™t really think any bass is lost at all. I like the bass more with the alcantara. I think itā€™s the mids that are affected if anything. They are pushed a little further away Id say. But still really detailed.

Iā€™m still trying to pinpoint it here. The more I listen to them with these pads the more I feel they sound different than the original pads.

Then I started trying to compare to other headphones, and I thoughtā€¦ maybe theyā€™re like the nighthawks? So Iā€™ve been swapping those to. And Iā€™m onto something here.

The bass is very close to the nighthawks With the suede pads. Very tight and controlled. Actually pretty amazing bass response in my opinion.

However, it is much brighter than the nighthawks, the mids and treble are elevated from the nighthawks pretty drastically.

Does that make these kinda balanced maybe? I donā€™t know because the bass is still pretty strong. Itā€™s actually a pretty dramatic change from the meze pads the more I listen to it. I like it. It kinda makes these new headphones to me. Itā€™s like more lively nighthawks almost. Call me crazy.

Or I guess I could say that it keeps the bass from the meze pads but elevates the rest in a way that makes it so that the bass isnā€™t bleeding into them as much? So the separation is a little better. But somehow with those elevated itā€™s not too fatiguing for me. I donā€™t know.

I kinda wish someone else had these pads and headphones on hand to test and tell me. Either tell me Iā€™m crazy or that Iā€™m onto something lol.

These may resemble bass of the Nighthawk Carbon in quantity but not quality. Nighthawk Carbon have much higher quality bass, and they have more of a W signature imo. If you want more detail and better soundstage the Nighthawk Carbon are much better. But if you want a portable closed back bass machine, these are probably something people would like.

I meant with the alcantara pads. Tighten up the bass and makes it closer to the nighthawks. But with more energy in the treble and mids.

good luck with that lol that just sounds like a driver problem

I would still take the Nighthawk any day. Or if you want clear treble and amazing sub bass the 1More Triple Driver are way better imo.

1 Like

yeah the 1more are great. but these are nice too.

Just did a review of these headphones here:

Just saw DMSā€™s review of the Neo and he loved them. said he tried a bunch of pads with them, said they sounded best with the brainwaves velour pads

check it out:

1 Like

how do these compare to dt770s?