šŸ”· Meze 99 Classic/Neo/Noir

They arenā€™t as wide and refined (going off of the 250 ohms here), and have more boosted bass and midbass, where the 770 has more of a subbass boost. I think they are somewhat similar detail wise but I prefer the presentation on the 770. The 770 also has better imaging. I do think the meze might be more fun for some though

I think the 770 is more comfy but the meze has the detachable cable and nice case which makes it easier to travel with

2 Likes

I get to have a listen later this week to a pair but after that description Iā€™m not terribly excited lol

I mean Iā€™m not a fan but if you want something inoffensive and fun, they are right up your alley I think, judge for yourself. Even if I hear negative things about a headphone, I will still want to hear it, I just like listening to new and different things nonetheless lol

Completely agreeā€¦ also minced words and didnt mean to offend anyone who likes theseā€¦ always good to hear more headphones regardless

Iā€™m personally a fan itā€™s really fun and itā€™s a great bass head can of your tastes lean towards hip hop , EDM , or pop

hip hop for sureā€¦ I am looking forward to listening to itā€¦ you have the liquid spark right? thatā€™s a good pairing?

Thatā€™s a pretty warm and bassy pairing, should be fun

1 Like

Itā€™s should be a good pairing.

I havnt heard the DT770. But i have heard the 880ā€™s and i like these headphones way way more. They sound fantastic. And i think itā€™s better all around headphone than the DT880. These headphones are famous. i keep seeing them pop up in audiophile areaā€™s of the internet with people just loving them. Darko said their his favorite headphone to listen to casually. If you buy the Noir from Massdrop make sure you swap the pads and check out the other pads that come with them. i thought it sounded much better with them. also the ones i got where on sale for 160$

right onā€¦ thanks for the insightā€¦ im offloading headphones right now like its my job so thereā€™s definitely room in the stable :+1:

In no way is this a better all around headphone than the 880. The DT880 600 ohm has much better imaging accuracy, soundstage, and overall is much more natural sounding.
The 99 Noir are definitely a more fun pair, great if you love bass and want a more fun sound and more bass. Very fun headphones. But there is a reason why the 880 600 ohm are used for music production on low budgets lol, and also by competitive gamers, whereas these are used for casual listening and on the go use when you want a lot of bass. The DT880 600 ohm are in no way at all inferior to these. You canā€™t just say things like that, itā€™s too subjective lol. And even then many would agree that the 880 are better all around.

But I would not recommend the 880 if you are looking for a fun bassy sound. These have way more bass. They are certainly an option if thatā€™s what you are looking for.

3 Likes

I have a dv coming so ill definitely be trying the 880 600 out as well :+1: (not because bass though lol)

Cool. Doesnā€™t really matter which one you like better I think, they both have pretty different tuning and sound signatures. Whichever one you like better. Just saying that the 99 Noirs are not technically better. But better isnā€™t always what matters in this hobby.

I will say thisā€¦I love bassy headphones.

With that being said, I personally find the Meze 99 Classics and Noir to be amongst the 3 worst headphones I have ever heard. (M50x, HE-35x are the other 2). The bass is way way way too much and it actually made me sick.

2 Likes

I completely picked up what you were putting down :+1:

1 Like

I think these are good for what they are but I think they are kinda one note to be honest. I like them more with the shure alcantara pads but I fine I still never reach for them. Iā€™m pretty certain that just about everything I own outperforms them. Maybe the bass Is just too much or too loose for me. Or theyā€™re too close. I dunno, no matter what I do they just slightly underwhelm me. I mainly only use them for when Iā€™m laying in bed since theyā€™re smooth and fairly small for laying my head down.

1 Like

I agree. They need a pad swap but even then thereā€™s something missing.

They arenā€™t bad with the original smaller padsā€¦fixes the bass bloomā€¦but even then, they arenā€™t anything special to me.

1 Like

Yeah thatā€™s kinda my experience, nice sound but really not worth what they ask imo. Itā€™s more sloppy fun but that isnā€™t super appealing to me (as I like stuff that can be pretty fun but also maintain refinement)

Yes that exactly. I feel that too much is lost for the sake of bass. They are pretty good for older poorly recorded tracks though since they lose the bad parts of old recordings donā€™t want to hear. I think Iā€™m also just more of a mids and treble kinda guy (not piercing treble) I like bass but I like my bass like I like my women, fun and playful, but neat and tight.

Running them balanced and with different pads does clean and tighten these up a bit though