šŸ”· Meze 99 Classic/Neo/Noir

Yeah but those smaller pads are like unbearably small for me. My ears slightly touch the drivers with the bigger pads, with the smaller, the drivers completely smash into my ears lol.

1 Like

Weā€™re gonna have to agree to disagree. I own both headphones and the 880ā€™s are terrible on some tracks. they are not good all around headphone. and they lack bass big time. The Meze classics i can listen to anything in them and its no problem. yes they have some bass bloat but its not that bad. the default pads that come with them sound terrible. your ear is up against the driver. I think someone on this list found some nicer pads without so much boat if you want that.

I admit the 800 has some nice features. but overall i prefer the classics. They kinda remind me of the 58x in how great they sound. nice rich sound. great imaging. soundstage. they are wonderful. But a lot of people nerd out over sound signature and ā€œnaturalā€ sounding headphones over ā€œfunā€ headphones and just cant stand a fun headphone recommended over a natural headphone.

Well I guess we will have to disagree as do many others as you see in this thread recently lol.
If you like them, great, whatever. Imo on better amps the 880 would sound much better, THX amps make them much too harsh for many people.
And no, I donā€™t have a problem with a fun headphone being recommended over natural sounding. But saying a fun headphone is better than a natural headphone isnā€™t right. Thatā€™s subjective. You like the 99 Noir more than the 880. Fine. Donā€™t go around saying the 99 Noir are so much better than the 880 though and thatā€™s all to be said period. If somebody asked me which to get, I would probably recommend the 880. But if they said they wanted a ton of bass or were bass heads, then these would probably be recommended over the 880 by me even, hopefully with different pads, because thatā€™s what the person wants, those wub wubs, and that is subjective. Everybody has their preferences and as you can see, while some love the 99, in many peopleā€™s eyes the 880 are better, and many prefer it. Just remember your opinion, or Zeosā€™, or DMS, is never the only opinion, and is not more qualified than anybody elseā€™s.

3 Likes

easy folksā€¦ I take any comment here as that persons opinion (and now realize why m0n uses imo so often lol)

1 Like

The Meze are amongst the most unnatural sounding headphones ever. I prefer bassy headphones and hate brightā€¦but Iā€™d still take DT 880 over meze 10 out of 10 times.

Calling something better because you personally prefer it is not the correct way to determine if something is better. That would be like me saying DT 770 is better than the ZMF Atticus because I prefer the DT 770 (only hypothetically as I love my Atticus).

You are probably going to want to rethink the way in which you use the word ā€œbetterā€.

1 Like

Agreed. The best term Iā€™ve heard for the 99s is ā€œaudiophile beatsā€ and I think that fits perfectly. They got that bass, but I think too much suffers as a result. I love fun headphones but I think that fun there are many fun headphones out there that are more resolving that these, albeit at the steeper price Iā€™m sure lol.

Yeah, Iā€™m not going to argue anymore. Hopefully I didnā€™t start anything. Anybody is entitled to an opinion.

1 Like

I never said fun headphones are better than natural. Iā€™m telling Don here what i like in regards to the meze and dt headphones. do i have to preface everything with a disclaimer? If i feel one headphone is better than another im going to say it. you can put out your own post saying you dont think so. i wouldnt try to correct you and tell you not to say things a certain way. i would just think ā€œthats his opinionā€ and move on

1 Like

All good dude. I get it. No worries.

Well the thing is i feel this is a special headphone. and many agree. Maybe not on the hifiguides forum lol. but in many areaā€™s of the internet these are considered some of the best headphones out there. i feel that they are criminally underestimated here. Ive heard a lot of headphones and i think these are some of the best ive heard.

I mean you did use ā€œI thinkā€ so that does show the impression that you are just saying you like them more. Everyone has their preference.

These headphones are fun, affordable, beautiful to look at and super easy to drive. I love these for out and about but, IMO, they donā€™t scale well. Actually I donā€™t think they scale at all.

They are Very good in their niche. A 600 Ohm headphone keeps you chained to a desk. You are not running that off of a phone or DAP.

I think these are great as an affordable, attractive, closed backs that can be driven off of anything. A lot of the 'phones mentioned in comparison donā€™t seem to be in the same category.

1 Like

The guy likes beats, thatā€™s cool.

No Iā€™m not downing on them. I think they are still good for their price if thatā€™s what youā€™re going for. I still like use mine when I want something that doesnā€™t throw detail in my face. I just needed to tweak them to get the bass down for my preference.

Just from a technical stand point thereā€™s better out there for the price, but at the end of the day it all just comes down to your sound preference.

I keep mine around because I like having that other option around still you know? But theyā€™re just not picked up as often as many others. They sit in a drawer under my bed for the nighttime listening mostly. My ā€œchill headphones.

You really do like Beyerā€™s donā€™t you? Certainly the 99ā€™s wonā€™t give you the treble kick you crave, but they have a nice musical sound with some bass.

They will never come close to the LCD2 Cā€™s, but you get what you pay for.

What do you think is better for closed back for 160-200$ with a W signature than these?

I donā€™t mind Beyersā€¦they are hit or miss with me. But I do have an issue with Meze cause they honestly are beats with wooden shells. I am not joking when I say that I would take VE Monks over Meze headphones. This is of course my personal opinion though.

I couldnā€™t tell ya. Iā€™ve been out of both the closed back and 200 dollar game for a while. Literally the only closed I own anymore are these, my mdr-1as and hmmmmm well thatā€™s it because my teaks are semi open. I did like the 770s when I tried a friends a long time ago but Iā€™d like to get a pair for comparisons sake.

I have only ever heard one Beyer headphone, the one that I own, the T5p.2ā€™s. I would Never buy another Beyer product and these will be leaving in the next few months.

If I am sitting at my desk at work, at DMV, etc. I like the sound out of my LG V30.

As I stated I never put the 99ā€™s into my system at home as my other headphones sound much better with amps.

Depending on the use, I think they are great. But, as you say, itā€™s just an opinion. :grinning:

But again I also meant that are better from a ā€œtechnicalā€ standpoint, better resolution, imaging etc,ā€. I didnā€™t say with the same sound signature as those are totally different things. If you want bass bass bass over the technicalities for around 200 than these are the way to go. They do a better job at preserving other frequencies than others but still.