šŸ”· Modhouse ARGON MkIII

Thanks man. Itā€™s a real downer. Every morning I wake up hoping to see a response in my inbox ā€“ still nada.

The thing that sucks the most is that I know he will fix the problem but thatā€™s going to involve sending them back. Iā€™ve thought about just sending them back before waiting for the go-ahead to save some precious time ā€“ thereā€™s no way Iā€™m going to get a quick turnaround on the shipping during COVID. Itā€™s totally a first world problem to be pissing and moaning about this but still. Ryanā€™s warranty statement is pretty graciousā€¦ paying shipping both ways means heā€™s not going to really get anything out of my order, and itā€™s hard to say whether or not the defect Iā€™m experiencing is even his fault ā€“ maybe it got a decent bump in the post and something internally was dislodged.

By the way, for what itā€™s worth, hereā€™s my timeline.

• Ordered 2020-02-17
  • Shipped 2020-06-12 (Just over 16 weeks)
  • Arrived 2020-07-21 (US > Japan > Australia)
2 Likes

Ryan replied a few days back. His assessment based on my description of the issue was that it was likely a bad jack. He offered to send replacement jacks if I was brave enough to attempt the repair myself but Iā€™d rather not risk screwing it up, so I sent the headphones back (tracked and insured). Wait #2 begins!

Oddly, when his email came through and asked some questions about the problem, I thought Iā€™d re-familiarise myself with the problem only to find that at first listen everything seemed to be OK. Balance was correct and sound was clearā€¦ but as soon as I got to 7 / 8 oā€™clock on the Asgard in High Gain, sure enough the right channel cuts out completely. Curious to hear if any other punters would like to have a guess as to what the issue is ā€“ bad jack definitely seems like a good bet.

Welp, Iā€™ll be moving in a few weeks. Week 15. Maybe whoever buys my house will end up with some nice headphones as a bonus

3 Likes

Haha - just keep emailing them (politely of course!). I had an opportunity to change the shipping address just before mine were sent out.

I had one of these in a balanced configuration about a year and a half ago. While it has monstrous bass, the clarity was always a bit disappointing IMO. Maybe a better amp pairing wouldā€™ve helped? I used mostly a Jotunheim and a Liquid Platinum. While I do think these are very good - especially for the money - I would lean towards a used E-MU Teak, Denon or higher tier Fostex tbh. Watch Tyllā€™s video on Foster variants. Just my $.02. I also must say that Ryan and co. were an absolute pleasure to deal with.

3 Likes

That is what I was advised when I looked into them. HUGE bass, but thatā€™s about it. Great for the bassheads I guess.

1 Like

I LOVE my ā€œDMT-Moddedā€ Denon AH-D7200. Deep and detailed bass thatā€™s silky smooth. I donā€™t know what all the dude that modded these did, but there is extra resolution and soundstage. Plus walnut is beautiful.

1 Like

Here is a link to where ā€œMaxx134ā€ discusses his mad scientist experiment!

ā€œDMT Moddedā€ Denon-D7200

More pictures / Details

DMS puts the argons in C Tier because the panda exist

does this mean the panda is now a better headphone than the argon and argon hype must die for the hype of panda

The panda is a planar bluetooth headphone. The argons are an amp dependant soundstage planar monster. Theyā€™re completely different headphones with different use cases. Even if they have similar sound sigs, Argons are not magically considered obsolete now. Especially not the newer T60RP ones that DMS probably hasnā€™t heard yet.

1 Like

It strikes me as very odd that there would be a comparison between the panda and argon. Iā€™ve not yet heard either but they seem to be aimed at completely different markets.

I do think that in general, the t50 argon is probably aging out against other wired options. But again I have yet to hear them (15 weeks).

I have owned t50mkIII for years but I donā€™t think they hold up against anything modern in their price range, honestly without mods would be D or F tier by comparison.

1 Like

Argon lead time is a big turn off and deserve D tier just for that reason alone.

1 Like

I donā€™t know that Iā€™d D tier theseā€¦ Mind you Iā€™m not sure what A tier (Iā€™m sure I will never have the money to try what some folks consider A)

The fucking soundstage is amazeballs on t50s and I loved the bass. Supposedly that + bit more detail in T60ā€™s ā€¦ I liked alternating these with my LCD-2 CB which I guess of what Iā€™ve tried Iā€™d consider my personal A tier. Iā€™d say for me t50 Argons are low B to mid C tier.

The wait is worth it in my book and many others clearly as Modhouse is pretty well thought of. ZMF cans have a wait tooā€¦are they A tier?

1 Like

The way you are going give it a few months lol

Yes, see :grin:

1 Like

The Pandas and the Argons does not compete at all. According to Joshua Valour the soundstage of the Pandas is not wide at all. They may have the same sound signature but they are completely different in terms of capability. No idea why DMS made that comment. Itā€™s like ranking a loud motorcycle lower cuz a scooter exists thatā€™s as loud.

Anyoknow know when these will be back in stock?

Hard to know since T50 MkIII seems as if is out of stock everywhere with no indication of when or if it will come back in stock. However, if youā€™re in the US, I happen have one available in as new condition with all options and no wait. PM if interested.

Have they made this comment at all or anything kind of leading to this? Curious as I have heard argon and was thinking of getting my own copy laterā€¦ going to be a bit hard to get one if this gets discontinued though.

Theyā€™re currently out of stock everywhere, and Iā€™ve seen a few comments around (canā€™t specifically quote one) alluding the possibility of being discontinued. I have to imagine thereā€™ll be a replacement in some form. They have too big a following in the modder community not to.

Edit: Actually, appears there are 2 available through Amazon Prime at the moment.

Thatā€™s kind of jumping the gun then in my opinion. Hell Tygr 300R has been out of stock everywhere outside its bundle on very rare occasion due to the virus stopping productions. Granted I am open to a new T50RP replacement MKIV would be interesting.