šŸ”¶ Monolith M1570

Audeze headband of your choice, a set of the audeze yokes and dremel or file. All you need to do is take out the stock headband and yokes, then widen the holes enough on the audeze yokes so that you can fit the monolith pins into the audeze holes

2 Likes

@auxx

This looks great! Thanks for sharing!

Does this improve the comfort and sturdiness?!? (At least enough to justify the cost)

How did it improve comfort/weight? I am getting a pair delivered Dec 22, and was planning on putting the HiFiman 560 V2 headband on it. Also planning on opening them up and switching the pins on the mini xlr jacks so it will take standard cables.

It gives you a better seal to be honest, the cheap metal bending was not ideal so this provides a more consistent fit/feel.

it did improve comfort a good bit, the additional yaw movement from the yokes + the increased clamp gave a better seal.

@auxx gave a prey good reply hereā€¦

However, here are a few other things I would add. You could Dremel out the holes to match the holes of the M1570 headband, but that was more work than I was wanting to put in.

So, what I did was just used a 5 mm drill bit, which gives a fairly snug fit. (The set I used is available HERE) Also, a 0.9 mm hex key is needed to remove the screws holding in the pins to the yokes as well.

Also, another thing I have not seen mentioned before is you will also need to remove the stop pin on the yokes as well. I did this with a pair of side cutters, and then filed it down till smooth.

Another thing to note about the yokes is that the short side of the yoke goes towards the front of the headphone and the screw tab needs to be pointed towards the outside of the headphone.

Also, just for clarification on the rods, the philips head screw goes into the toothed washer, through the screw tab on the yoke, and into the completely round end of the rod. The flattened end on the rod is what actually go through the headband, and then the slotted screw goes on the top end of the rod. (HERE is a pretty decent video showing this)

One more quick clarification, here are the 4 screws that you have to remove to get the driver out to reach the yoke pins.

Hereā€™s my final productā€¦

Wow! This really does feel and sound great! And I totally agree with @dxccal, the increased clamp does improve the seal which increases the punch and dynamics. It also greatly improved the comfort too.

Also, just for completeness, here are some good guides by @dxccal and @juicebox12 as wellā€¦

4 Likes

Does it feel lighter?

Has anyone messed with (i.e. removed/replaced) the Tuning layers (i.e. the felt/dust covers on the driver and the grill to see what they do to the sound?

Just got my pair. Iā€™m traveling for Christmas, so Iā€™m going to have them burn in while Iā€™m out of town and try them again when I get back. Then Iā€™m going to try the headband mod, but with the HiFiMan HE-560 headband you can get on Adorama for $40, but goes on sale for $10 sometimes; which is what I picked them up for earlier this year.

https://www.adorama.com/hmhb560.html

Found this about removing foam behind driver on Head-Fi.

1 Like

Sorry, I donā€™t have a small enough scale to measure, so I canā€™t give you a quantitative answer, but qualitatively, yes, it does feel a bit lighter.

what is the difference between a M1570 and a nighthawk carbon?

Hi. Any experiences running m1570 from an USB-C dongle? Iā€™m considering buying a new iBasso DC03, but not sure if its 80mW @ 32Ohm will be sufficient.
The sound output level is my main concern. I donā€™t need any extreme loudness, but some extra 6dB would be nice (compared to my phone 3.5 mm socket)

If it wasnā€™t for the comfort of this thing, I would keep themā€¦ This is a really damn nice headphone

What bother you with the comfort ? Is this only weight ? I considered these many times but the weight manā€¦

I ran it briefly from a shanling m0, and was suprised to find it sounded fine.

Right out of the box, these things are HEAVY. Like audeze heft. They sit on your head and you damn sure know your wearing them. The pads are not as high quality as I would hopeā€¦ they are very very thick as you can see in the picture but my dekonis hold their shape better than these which is unfortunate for a flagshipā€¦ fully steel(cheap steel) and aluminum which explains the weight. Headband padding is a bit overkill, I could do with lessā€¦ it just causes more heat on my head while wearing it plus the thickeness of those leathers definitely builds heat. I have larger ears so my ears touch the sides of the pads which makes things a bit uncomfortable. They do come with velours, but they feel quite cheapā€¦ like they seriously cut some corners on the pad qualityā€¦ this coming from an audeze, Dan Clark, and beyerdynamic respectively all those brands came with better pads by quite a big margin in my opinion. The Velour pads are about average thickness for a pad and only about half as thick as the leathers which depletes the clamp force by a pretty big margin. less you have a big head, I have concerns that this wonā€™t fit properly using them.

The sound does bother me a bit, but I am used to the Sundaras which appear to have a somewhat similar signature here

oh and to those wondering about power? This thing gets loud at around 50% of the dial on high gain for the asgard 3ā€¦ it does need some juice to it

Edit: side note, yes I am aware when I took that picture I plugged the red cable into the wrong side I fixed it while listening lol. Just waking up

1 Like

Before you return them etc, game on them a little bit I found that imaging and stage was pretty solid.

Coming from the gamer background, and writer of that guide I get blown up with messages on the regular about thisā€¦ Itā€™s kinda expected that I use a headphone I am testing for gaming anymore so, I plan tooā€¦ but I canā€™t say I will enjoy it for long sessions

Alright thanks for the detailed opinion on this. Isnā€™t it easy to pad swap with these though ? I remember watching NTR videos on these but i canā€™t remember what he said about the pads, i remember him complaining mainly about the cable. If pad swapping ainā€™t a thing probably gonna pass on it personally.