New 350$ Planars -Thieaudio Phantom

I did put a guesstimate of the thickness in my dimensions post, circa 1.5mm no thicker than 2mm I reckon :+1:

Thickness up date the M1060C closed open grill mod are 1.5mm thick so I’d be inclined to say the Phantoms are too :+1:

I think mine were from the first production run and took just under 3 weeks to arrive after placing the order, I guess from all the positive reviews and feedback they’re probably struggling to keep up with orders?

1 Like

I ordered mine on the 8th and haven’t gotten any updates since… I’ve emailed asking for updates and tried the ‘chat’ on the linsoul website, but haven’t heard back from them yet. Hopefully they ship out soon! My THX 789 just shipped yesterday so I’m gettin’ antsy!

1 Like

Ours were definitely from the first 200, and I’d say you are probably right about the demand.

All good things come to those that wait…as my Nan used to say :+1:

Anyone else tired the grill removal mod? I originally tried it and wasn’t that impressed, but with all this “they sound better sans grills” I might give it another go?

Ordered today, based on the chat Linsoul says they are shipping out this week.

On BGGAR he said his unit did not have the foam behind the earpads, ZeosPantera didnt mention if he removed his or did I miss him saying he did?

1 Like

This is the comparison I was looking for as well but apparently no one has ever considered it.

I’ll let you know when I get my phantoms. Since there are no frequency graphs of the phantom its a total mystery to me, but they say its non fatiguing. What I dont totally love about the 4XX is the highs get too sharp for my ears at least for music. For videos it generally great.

2 Likes

He kept the foam. Only thing he did was remove the grills.

1 Like

Hopefully he checks this thread or tries it himself and makes an update video on his modding progress.

I should have made a more detailed reply. On patreon, I asked him that question too, since he didn’t mention the foam behind the earpads in the video, and he said to keep the foam there. He said the tuning was fine and it is the grills that are the issue.

1 Like

Did anyone on the Patreon happen to ask ZeosPantera’s take on the Phatoms vs the Hifimans he just reviewed (Edition XX, Arya) or to other planars aside from M1060s? It would be awesome to see comments vs He4XX and Sundara.

2 Likes

Yeah, the Sundara would be a good comparison since they are in the same price range.

EDIT: I just found a thread going about this topic. Thieaudio Phantom vs. HiFiMan Sundara

1 Like

Unfortunately, no. But if someone here is a member of his telegram they could probably get a response or maybe he’ll chime in here eventually.

The Sundara are coming up… You can see on the sound demo of the phantoms that he mentions that the playlist is the same of the Sundara’s. So we just need to be a bit patient for the comparison between “THESE” and the Sundara.

If the Sundara’s are still working by then :innocent:

Just wondering, has anyone had to RMA or had to deal with the manufacture for return or repair regarding the phantoms? At least hifiman is prudent about their warranty

And if you don’t want to be patient (like me) sign up for the patreon :slight_smile:

No issues yet i’ve heard of, the diaphragm is German made and the cans come with a years warranty…not sure on the return postage protocol though, mine came via Linsoul UK through Amazon UK so hopefully if there’s a problem it’ll be sorted?..200 units so far and no issues?

Well this is what you get from their website

Until someone uses it and lets us know, guess we are in the dark.