New 350$ Planars -Thieaudio Phantom

I just posted photo of fazor that fits perfectly

Is that the Phantoms or M1060s?

thats Phantom with 3d printed M1060 fazor

1 Like

Looking for some help from the more experienced modders (which is pretty much everyone compared to me). I’m loving the detail of this headphone but I’ve noticed for some songs with female vocalists, (Norman Fucking Rockwell - Lana Del Ray, Adele songs for example) it sounds like the lead vocal is being shouted at me from the top of my head.

What might account for this, and is there an adjustment I can make that can help?

Mods done:
Square foam from inside earpad removed
Grill fabric removed
Pad swap to ZMF Suede Oval
One small piece of circle foam removed removed and one left in and centered
Large 3mm foam covering outside of driver (doesn’t fit perfectly, covers about 90% of the circle)

Thanks in advance for any responses!

Try equalizer APO+Peace and load up this file: https://mega.nz/#!jwVEEIaB!OLMdI91BoXuCKhzxUE5H-mNbAme6trVIaZ8rwjVSOZ0

It’s not perfect or even objective, but it’s way better thank stock for my taste and the music I listen to.

3 Likes

THEY’RE HERE.
Here are my detailed first impressions after some listening, modding, and measuring.

Preface -
I took some rough measurements using this method - Easy (but rough) frequency response measurements!

I will be discussing measurements, but will not be posting any plots right now as they can be misleading. They don’t take into account the transfer function of the phone, and it’s a shitty microphone, so they’re not good absolute measurements, but good for direct mod comparisons. If I talk about comparisons of mods, it might be from the measurements, but if I talk about how they sound, that’s from listening, not measurements.

One more note is that I don’t have much listening time with these yet, so their sound may just take some getting used to.
I also used this online tool - https://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator/
It really helps to highlight suppressions or enhancements through the frequency spectrum. Great for EQ’ing if you have good ears.

Last preface - I’ve been listening almost exclusively to my 6XX’s, so most listening impressions are relative to those.

Packaging -
Well, I only got one set of pads… Everything else was included.

First listening impressions -
I listened and took measurements with stock, microsuede XL, and brainwavs pleather oval angled pads, all with the headphones in stock form, with the grills off, and with all the foam removed + grills off.
To my ears the best setup was with everything off and the brainwavz angled ovals. I also think that the XL are a bit too big for these, I had the ovals lying around and they stretched over fine. Going to order the standard round ones and try those out.

Well, first impressions, to be honest, are that @DMS was right…
There is a very clear dip from 1.5 kHz to ~2.3 kHz that you can hear very clearly with that tool linked above. His measurements show an even deeper dip from ~3 kHz to ~6 kHz, but I didn’t hear or measure any such dip on my set. There is rolloff though from ~2.3 kHz - 10 kHz.

I definitely perceived a lack of detail, probably due to that dip and rolloff. The angled pleathers seemed to remove this dip the most, but not completely. I will say, for what it’s worth, these measured astonishingly flat in my setup from ~50 Hz to 1 kHz, so that was neat. The bass sounded good to me from the small amount of listening I did.

I did find a random change that actually cleared everything up for me but I need to experiment with it more. I’d be interested if other people find the same thing.
I essentially made these semi-closed by covering up the backs with a thick cloth I had. It was a knee-sleeve actually, so dense, elastic cloth (was just lying on my floor, lol).
This took them from sounding sort of veiled and dull to more clear (less soundstage though). This was a measurable difference as well. It improved but the 1.5 kHz dip and the roll off compared with other mods.

If anyone can find a mod that removes that dip or really noticeably mitigates it, and also improves the roll off (using the slider tool linked above), then these will sound dramatically improved (to me at least :slight_smile: ).

ANYWAY, they’re burning in now, so we’ll see after a few days of listening and tampering if they improve. I’ll post a more detailed review then. I’m thinking now that the mesh on the grills was an attempt to add some volume at frequencies…

TLDR - clear dip from 1.5-2.3 kHz, then roll off after 2.3 kHz makes them sound veiled/dull to my ears. I have hope after some initial experimenting. Going to try and find a mod-set that improves these things.

edit - listening with Topping D70 and THXAAA789 if people are wondering

5 Likes

Has anybody tried EQ’ing these?

Take the left over circle foam and place it on the inside upper part of the planar see if that helps…just a thought

1 Like

2 posts up over yours mate :slight_smile:

1 Like

Lol! I read that post totally differently the first time around…

Yeah I’m getting that impression of veil. They are capable of soundstage and detail but it sounds like theres a band or orchestra playing in a large hall and theres a wall behind them and you are standing behind that wall. Leaving them to burn in overnight

1 Like

EDIT: Originals were really not that good. Here’s the updated view:

This is what I’m using to validate the EQ:

1 Like

Must give this app a try when I am back from travels.

Peace out boys and girls…

Enjoy RMAF!

3 Likes

Thanks for persevering with those oval Brainwavz! You just spared me from the stock pads because I gave up too early :smiley:

The velour memory foam pads are way better than stock, even if the sound stayed the same.

EDIT: Also, just because it hasn’t been mentioned: with the EQ I’m using these are excellent for gaming!

2 Likes

Thanks flipflops for the preset EQ. I’m definitely going to give it a try as soon as my headphone arrive. USPS pickup my headphones up at LAX 6 days ago . I live 240 miles from L.A , they literally could of got here faster by mule train. Well time for a beer. USPS, I wish could hit them with a rolled up newspaper… Bad postal service , bad post service! :wink:

1 Like

I can’t get over how talented some of you are. I have no idea what I’m doing, but copied the EQ settings posted in the thread and Lana Del Rey is no longer shouting at me.

The only issue for me is that I use Roon, and the EQ there is really intimidating. Not sure how to transfer over the settings from Peace to Roon.

Great progress though. Was getting a bit discouraged but the EQ settings really helped the issue I was having.

Thanks to everyone who continues to create improvements.

2 Likes

Okay. I did end up figuring out EQ in Roon. However, what sounded better to my ears was putting the square block of foam back in w/no EQ. I think that’s how I’ll leave it for a while.

1 Like

Still using it pretty much stock. I like the sound… based on the experiments done it seems the rectangular foam and the mesh on the grill were there for a reason. Perhaps those 2 circles as well.

I have tried it with the rectangular foam out and it did have more detail and obviously more volume. It was apparent in Led Zeppelin - Whole Lotta Love (not entirely sure but definitely Led Zeppelin) had a strange chittering sound in the background I never heard before or with foams on. I tried it with foam on one side and it obviously sounded muffled compared to the side without foam. Tested with down-mixing to Mono as well so, surprise foam muffles sound. :smile:

The best part for me about removing the rectangular foam is that the stock short hair earpads became comfortable! No more pain from long listening because it was pressing on my lobes.

So I’ve tried no grilles and no rectangular foam and put it back to stock… at least until I get my pads and free time to listen in peace.

@ConnorG Any chance you can put up chart with what each mod on its own does or how it affects the sound? I know you’re working on a review that will tackle this, so maybe once its done or maybe in the description of your video break it down per mod?

I use Audeze vegan pads with them. My favorite so far.

1 Like

That’ll all be covered in my review. Not sure when I’ll be finished with it though, as I’m waiting on a new set of grilles to come in.

3 Likes