New 350$ Planars -Thieaudio Phantom

I’ve been auditioning mine for the past hour or so. Motherboard audio (X470 Gaming 7) is not enough to drive these; they can go up in volume, sure, but the treble is spikey and the overall sound is somewhat hollow.

Through my SU-8>Burson Soloist SL Mk2, they are very rich and engaging. Instrument separation is outsanding and there’s a real sense of space to the music, so anything instrumental (even electronic music) is really good. Bass is expansive and controlled and I really like its extension. Not endgame for me, but a good value overall and I’m satisfied with it. This is with all foam removed and the perforated hybrid pads that came with my set. I was waiting to try them before spending money on extra pads, and I just completed my order for the pads a few minutes ago :slight_smile:

Tracks tested:

Sade - Hang on to your love
Govi - Euphrates
Bat for Lashes - Trophy
Gus Gus - Deep inside
Psychemagik - Mink & shoes
Ichisan - Modri tunnel
Rebekka Karijord - Prayer
Feist - Limit to your love
Casa del Mirto - Mr. Whisper
Stratovarius - Falling into fantasy
Nocturnal Rites - Afterlife
Ruben Blades - Primogenio
Guaco - Si usted la viera
Michelle Gurevich - Nothing to talk about

PS: Something that I didn’t catch in photos/videos is that the yokes are champagne and not silver in color; not my cup of tea but they don’t look horrible either.

1 Like

Yes.
See here for the physics explanation - New 350$ Planars -Thieaudio Phantom

F’s in the chat boys

4 Likes

Wow, so mine are the only one that dint come with the 2nd pads.

You should email them. They respond quite well from my experience. Most people prefer the second pads (velour, perforated in the inside).

I did. They said that it was a change based on user feedback that the long haired ones were bad so they dont include them anymore. They could send out the tin container for the balanced cable but who needs that junk.

Mine wasn’t in the carrying case - It was loose in the cardboard box.

The hairs on mine are the same length - @mico pointed out the difference to me. They inner ring is perforated on the one.

I got my pair last week and can confirm that they didn’t come with the fuzzy pair of pads just 2 pairs of the regular pads and no case for the balanced cable.

On the plus side, they offered free expedited shipping. I got it in a little over a week from order to door.

2 Likes

I haven’t tried any of the mods yet. I’m wanting to get a good idea of the stock sound before I do any mods. But the consensus on mods seems to be:

Remove grill material.
Remove foam (pad side)
Swap pads (anyone try vegans?)

Are those the main ones?
I saw a mention on the fuzor mod. I’ve got that on my m1060. It kind of sounds like repeat all the mods for the m1060s on the Phantoms. Any one doing 3D printed fazors? :laughing:

3 Likes

connorG has done both the vegan pads and the fuzor mod. Personally not a fan of paying 150 for a pair of pads, but if you already have them I guess it doesn’t hurt to reuse in a new pair of headphones. I personally went with ZMF suede because I can’t imagine it being anything but subtly different from the vegan audeze pads connor has recommended for a while.

1 Like

Yeah I’ve got a pair of vegans on my m1060s. But was also going to pick up a pair of zmf oval suedes at RMAF on Friday.

1 Like

mmmmayyyybe, we’ll see if I have time :slight_smile:

3 Likes

m1060 fazors fit perfectly on these. Im waiting for mine. And for new grills

For real?! I’ll have to try that out when I get home.

They do not. The M1060’s are bigger.

This was the same for me. The second pair was thrown in the box like an afterthought. lol

Not my photo, but made by guy in local forum. Fits perfectly

Just got mine today. Tried the recommended meds, swapped to perforated pads, removed square foam and grill cloth, left the 2 circular foam. Initial impression, thin sounding mids and treble, and somewhat muddy and bloated bass. Do they open up with burn in or any other mods required? Mines seemed be wired okay, no crossing over wires.

What’s your source? (min char count to post messages is dumb, forum owners)