New 350$ Planars -Thieaudio Phantom

True that. I was pad swapping comparing the Audeze Vegan Pads vs ZMF Oval Suedes vs the New Dekoni Microsuedes and had drivers slam shut on me. I had to work really hard to pry them apart again.

2 Likes

Looks great! Keep us updated on your progress, and when you are ready for orders.

1 Like

What were your conclusions on the pads?

1 Like

Can someone please tell me how to do the fuzz or mod?

This thread has me seeing hex patterns everywhere. We’ve had this coffee machine for a year, and this is the first time I noticed the base:

5 Likes

For a long time, many workshops carve plastic grills for speakers with a variety of interesting designs. A grill with honeycombs is the simplest thing I’ve seen.

Workshops can be made to order from a catalog or according to your sketch and your sizes.

OK so I purchased the new Dekoni Microsuedes, released at the beginning this month at RMAF along with a pair of ZMF Oval Suedes to compare against my Audeze Vegan Pads.

So here’s is my shoot-off between the Audeze Vegan, ZMF Oval Suede, and the new Dekoni Microsuede pads. I tested these on my Modded M1060s and the ThieAudio Phantoms.

The long and the short of it is that they are all very similar, but do have a noticeable enough difference that you might like one over the other. The overall ranking is Audeze Vegans > ZMF Oval Suedes > Dekoni Microsuedes.

• Dekoni Microsuedes: Most comfortable, most bass, least treble
  • ZMF Oval Suedes: Slightly smaller than the other 2 diameter wise; still very thick; More bass than Audeze Vegans; The slightest bit less treble than Audeze Vegans; More comfortable than Audeze Vegans
  • Audeze Vegans: Most treble; Greater “air” to the sound.

Overall the Audeze Vegans are still my favorite for the overall sound, mostly because of the extra “air” to the sound. The ZMF Oval Suedes are a very close 2nd, they just don’t have as much “air” to the sound as the Vegans. The Dekoni Microsuedes are great but are a little too warm for my tastes. I’m hoping to order the Vesper Audio pads before the end of the year for a Final final comparison. But as it stands right now I would say that the ZMF Oval Suedes are the best available Audeze Vegan Alternative on the market. They really are very close. They are just missing that extra bit of air and treble.

Please don’t read into this thinking that the new Dekoni Microsuedes are bad pads. They are very good. Way better than the previous Dekoni Elite Velours. All of the pads are great and depending on your preferred sound signature you may like one over the other.

7 Likes

I didn’t know the suedes were released, thanks so much! :slight_smile: I prob. need to throw some money towards Zach though since I can’t support them with headphones, ie too expensive for me. I’m curious about a graph for the effects of the elite velour vs microsuede for my 58x as well…:thinking:

I have the elite velours as well and they sound like butt compared to the new Dekoni Suedes and the ZMF suedes.

I just cut out some 3mm foam to shove under the grills and I took the weird mesh off that was glued to the grills. I also moved one circular piece to the center of the driver and took out the other on each side. The difference in overall EQ is not huge, although I hear more in the upper mids now, but the imaging has improved to my ear. There used to be good placement but not much separation between instruments and sections of choirs, and now it sounds like they are in very specific locations to the point where I can tell exactly who was slightly early on a consonant release in my own choir recordings. Thanks for the recommendation. After doing all of the foam removal that people recommended, swapping to the ZMF’s, putting on a Pilot Pad, and burning them in for close to 40 hours, I have to say that these are superb headphones.

3 Likes

I’m finally online! https://sbkaudio.wixsite.com/sbkaudio

I’m only selling the grills and ‘diffusors’ for the phantoms for now (calling them this to not blatantly rip off Audeze). More to come when I find the time!

The prices I’ve decided on are $30 for the grills, $25 for two diffusors (front or back), and $45 for all four. Shipping is flat rate $7.90 on top of the price inside the US.
The prices are a reflections of what I think the parts are worth, balanced with what I think my time is worth given what’s gone into these. Anyway, I hope the prices are okay for people!
Please be patient once you place an order! I’ll let you know a time estimate and try to get your order out ASAP, but I’m a one man operation and only have one printer to start, so it may take some time depending on initial demand.

Please visit the website for more info before ordering! To order, send an email to [email protected] and I’ll get back to you ASAP with purchasing instructions.

!

12 Likes

I got mine back from the printers…Just grills plain and simple.

Just to be clear these are not for sale globally. maybe to anyone in Singapore via PM if they are interested but I dont expect many have them here.

3 Likes

These are the best I’ve seen. I hate the “gritty” nature of 3D printed stuff, they’d be great if it was smooth plastic like this.

Question… is there any mod that will restore the terribly scooped out upper mids lower treble? Ultimately no amount of modding is worth spending extra time and money if that can’t be addressed.

And, yes, I do own these. And yes I have taken the thick nylon off of the grills. And yes I have tried all of the foam in/out mods (now taken one of the two foam circles out, left the inner foam in else too much sibilance). And yes I have changed the pads (ZMF suede pads on now).

In the end they sound more open. But the wooly, muddy sound is still there. It is OK in the treble, but I do want to listen to more than cymbals…

Do you ship to Japan ?

Maybe try using a heat gun to smooth it out.

1 Like

I just EQ. It’s not perfect but it definitely sounds more spacious and clear for some genres. For electronic music that is not too intricate I just do a bass boost and keep it stock otherwise.

1 Like

Took all the shit out/off (Brainwavz XL pads) leaving the nylon on the grills and drive them hard is my best effort in this case?

1 Like

For you, I’ll ship to Japan :wink:
I have your custom grills in the pipeline, I’ll DM you when I have the design.
Thanks for your patience!

2 Likes