New Focal Elex or used Focal Clears

So @M0N time for an offical Focal Clear headphone thread? I realized that there was none.

Also, wondering if you’ve had to change the pads on your Clears yet? How do you clean them (if you do)?

I cleaned my pads with a tiny bit of shampoo and warm water, then left them to air dry overnight.
They do get dirty within a year.

Like hair shampoo? Interesting. Yeah I would imagine especially on the grey Clears the oils and gunk would show more easily.

So the pads aren’t going to wear down as quickly has the sennheisers 6 series do? I kind of need to change the pads on my 6xx every year or so. I was concerned about the pads because they go for like a ridiculous $200.

They’re pretty nice pads though.
$200 for what they are isn’t that bad.
I’ve had mine with stock pads for 10months or so and just a tiny bit of that hair shampoo did the trick. If you clean it often, it won’t end up looking disgusting.
Note, I sit in well ventilated environments and do not sweat alot.

Focal recommend a weird soap to clean them, I think I posted it in the elex thread at one point

Ah found it

Yeah pretty strange lol

Thinking about getting a pair of clear pros as they are a good price for a non factory sealed pair, my dilemma is do I even need them? Can someone please talk me out of this (or maybe talk me into?)

My gear list is in my profile, how well will these compliment my other headphones? will it sound more similar or different from what I already have? I’ll primarily be running them off of a monolith THX 788 with the occasional session on my Fiio Q5s. I have plans to sell and upgrade the 788 in the near future (next 3 months), probably will get a RNHP + SU-8 combo (or a similar balanced dac).

Trying real hard to have some self control atm lol

Get ready to #blameM0N🛡️

1 Like

Do it lol, it’s pretty worth if you think you would like the sound signature

I think you would be fine with you current gear for the most part, but in the future the rnhp + dac would be very nice

1 Like

Get it only if there is an Official Clear thread.

1 Like
2 Likes

Only thing I can say is that you wasted so much money in mid-fi hell.
Clears were my 2nd headphone since getting into audio a little over a year ago.
In audio its always good to save up until you can afford to upgrade, instead of wasting all your money constantly side-grading

nothing wrong with sidegrading though. if you want a different sound signature and a certain price point is all you can afford why the fuck not, his money. a good way to find the best headphone for you is to try different headphones until you find certain qualities of headphones and idealy find the qualities you enjoy the most and put them into one headphone. these days I even find myself downgrading adn trying and buying really cheap shit cause it’s just fun!

1 Like

No, the point is, instead of buying two or three shitty headphones, you save that money and get something actually good.

Well Shit. They are coming next week…

lol i don’t really consider it wasting my money if I enjoyed the headphone. I will still likely listen to my 4xx and 6xx as well as a few other of my budget cans even well after I get the clears in, I like variety.

Also if I get tired of any of them I can always recoup cost by selling on the used market, so not really a big loss when i factor in enjoyment had.

I mean I still have cheaper headphones that I enjoy a fair bit along with higher end ones. The fun is in the journey, it’s not as fun as when you start near the top

3 Likes

that would be a compelling argument if any of his headphones were actually shitty though

4 Likes

Wow. So many clears being purchased this week

1 Like