Night Oblivion - discussions

very pleased for you; its an exciting listen. wonder what they sound like with the h570’s; as mine still haven’t arrived :man_shrugging: jeez AE; they’re only coming from belgium; could have walked them here by now :rofl:
be interested in reading your impressions, happy listening!

A.S., what are you designing/building next?

First time poster…got my set a week or two ago and used some generic tips I had that tend to fit/work well with other sets. I was a bit bummed but mindful of the power of tip selection. Just slapped some coriers on that arrived today.

Holy cow! What a stupidly huge improvement.

1 Like

Still feeling gushy - this set is a very distinct step beyond anything I have…

Some (not all) things I love so far -

the box (no joke - I’ve struggled to open some really stupid boxes in this hobby, and this is a perfectly cromulent box, with a really elegant design);

fit - they fit well enough that I forget about them being in my ears, and they are an easy, quick, and sure set-up each time - no fiddling with lobe pulling - just chuck’em in and they stay put with a solid seal that doesn’t break with every head or jaw movement - I think the H570 tips are a real asset here;

bass articulation - as a bass player I always enjoy bass quantity, but I am much more focused on and (very) picky about bass quality, and this is so well done. I can make out not just the notes even in dense mixes with busy playing, but timbral quality, variation in attack and decay, vibrato, changes in pickup selection, picking/fingering position, use of effects - it’s all there without any unnatural shift in balance or distracting spotlighting;

which leads me to balance - a signature characteristic of Butastur in my initial experience - the presentation of the music as a whole built of distinct parts that can be focused on at will, but can also be easily and naturally experienced in their unity;

related to this - situational flexibility - these are very capable tools for critical listening, but also, because of the balance, readily enjoyed for relaxed jamming out, or closed-eyed emotional connection, but also handy for providing background while tasks that require concentration are foregrounded, and without the distractions posed by showier, splashier sets;

and one more for now - microdynamic coherence - rendering details like instrumental and vocal vibrato with clarity and realism, but also dealing with challenges presented by audio effects in dense mixes - making it possible to distinguish delay trails from reverb tails, but also conveying amplitude, phase and pitch variation without turning the mix into soup. Butastur presented one old classic rock album with lots of tremolo and phase shifting layered in with guitars and somewhat murky mellotron tones as a varied but unified mix that maintained it’s primary rhythmic thrust, where more than one other set I otherwise enjoyed presented the same album as a disorienting and near-unlistenable mess.

So for me, this is a complete joy, and feels like an opening to a shift in my journey through the hobby. I feel like I now have the confidence to slow down a little and explore my personal preferences, knowing that I have Butastur as a fully satisfying reference set.

So what the hell, I might as well gush now, since this a distinct “a-ha” moment in my IEM trip: kudos and thanks to Team Butastur!

9 Likes

Don’t write stuff like that because my wallet doesn’t feel good :slightly_smiling_face: :wink:

4 Likes

Sorry! I tried not to gush, but I just couldn’t maintain. :stuck_out_tongue:

For perspective, I am relatively new to the IEM segment of the hobby and still discovering the things that IEMs can do well that are harder to attain with headphones or loudspeakers at a comparable budget point, so I was ripe for an epiphany.

Also for perspective, here’s my sources:

Hiby RS2 DAP
Amazon Music Unlimited (or whatever it’s called - the one with access to hi res files)
streamed by either Android phone or WIIM Pro
FIIO Q11
Tanchjim Space
Topping E50/A30 Pro stack
RME ADI-2 DAC on loan
an olde SACD player

My IEMs worth mentioning:

Penon Serial
Penon Fan 2
EPZ 530 on loan
EPZ Q5
Dunu Talos
Akoustyx A6
TGXEAR Totem
a bunch of the usual budgetfi suspects

So, no expert or hifi kingpin here - just someone capable of being taken by surprise by a distinct increase in musical resolution (probably not after this though - I doubt anything else I’m liable to come into contact with in future will be anything more than a sidegrade, or more likely a quirky complement).

5 Likes

Not anytime soon. Busy with job, I’m away from home traveling around for most of October/November time frame.

For IEM project, I’m trying to find a possibility of an affordable EST model.

8 Likes

This is an interesting set to me. Any comparison with the Butastur?

1 Like

I really like the 530. Lots of detail in the highs, more sub-bass quantity than the Butastur, but only slightly.

Mid-bass quality on the Butastur stands out to me - the harmonics, pick attack, fret rattle - all the little articulations that give intelligibility, character and edge to a bass part are more evident on the Butastur, and uniquely “joined-up” with the fundamental to me. On other sets the higher bass partials are present in the mix but come across almost more like a higher-pitched instrument doubling the part than they do like one unified bass tone, or they’re just less present overall. It seems like the latter on the 530.

Mids and highs are more comparable. If anything, it seems to my ear like the 530 might have slightly more energy in the highs - it’s more up front, grabbing more attention. Butastur just seems more balanced to me - not just in frequency, but timbrally, texturally, musically.

I guess you could say that the 530 has a bit more of a “fun” tuning, though the Butastur is by no means sterile.

I don’t want to over-state it, but I had felt that the 530 was a bit “better” or at least more to my liking than any of my IEMs (just to re-state, it is on loan), but I also didn’t feel there was a major gap between it and things like the Penons - it just felt like it was exposing more of the music to me.

With the Butastur, I’m experiencing that sensation that it is just on another level. I’ll still listen to and enjoy the others (especially the Serial - that to me is a special set). I’m actually really glad I have the 530 on hand right now, because comparing it with the Butastur is helping me better understand what I have in hand here, but I won’t be sad when the time comes to send it home, except for the fact that it will mean I’ll be sending the Butastur with it as a loaner to thank my lender.

I hope that doesn’t come across as too harsh towards the 530. It’s just that the 530 seems like it’s at the top of one tier, while the Butastur feels like it’s in another, higher tier - but that’s where my ability to compare ends, because I haven’t ever heard anything from those higher tiers. Though now, through Butastur, I know they really exist, and not just as an economic reality.

11 Likes

What a thorough and helpful answer, thank you!

2 Likes

You’re welcome!

1 Like

How does Supernova comapre with Butastur as technically and tonally?

4 Likes

I have the Supernova. It doesn’t have any pressure build up issue, similar to Butastur.

2 Likes

Hi mate, Could you describe the difference between butastur and supernova? Which of the two, is more suitable for all genres of music? thank you…

Yes if your are usually having problems with pressure build up it also happens on Supernova.

Most pressure build up ---- Least

Meteor ---- Supernova - SA6 ------------- NP -------------------- Butastur

Why some more than others? No idea. But perhaps size matters?

8 Likes

So Neon Pro has relatively less pressure build-up compared to Supernova, but much more compared to Butastur?

Damn that’s concerning.

1 Like

Pressure feeling is very personal, for me it’s better with larger IEMs.

But Butastur is a king in this aspect, if nozzle just was longer it would have been perfect in comfort.

3 Likes

A combination of size and vent implementation.

1 Like

Yeah, I kinda wish the nozzle was just a tiny bit longer, on my left ear at least. I think I’m going to try o-rings so I can stay with the H570s…

2 Likes

azla launched new eartip named sedna origin(which has 10mm nozzzle). maybe that will help you.

2 Likes