Nymzreviews.com official thread

Tripowin x HBB Olina - Round 2

I (finally) got my second and only unit. My (free) sample was given away to someone that had QC problems, and since I put my money where my mouth is… Second pair fully paid just arrived together with a freebie mic cable and another CRA.

Worst part is sliding the sleeve twice :rofl: But I got admit it was way easier this time.

Will measure with Tanya Filters as well soon. Still a bomb :fire:

13 Likes

That double stock mod graph looking kinda nice :eyes: Impressions?

More impressions on Olina? People are probably tired of me talking about it already :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Hahaha fair enough. Just curious what you think about the double filter vs stock and others (which one is your fav) :stuck_out_tongue:

My fav Olina is double stock so far. I havent tried Tanya yet which I will soon. I have a feeling I will still prefer double filter due to the 5k area that I’m sensitive, but my ears will judge.

Olina is a beast. The proof I love it and it’s staying in my collection is that I just bought another pair :stuck_out_tongue: it’s not a perfect IEM but no IEM isnt. If you take price into consideration, @hawaiibadboy murdered the market.

For some parts of my library I take it over Mangird Tea or even Tea2. That says a lot, money wise and you all know how much I like Teas, right?

When something is good, it’s good. Credits where it is due.

9 Likes

64 Audio Trio - First Impressions

“The good, the bad and the ugly.”

Disclaimer: I would like to publicly thank my good friend @igor0203 that shipped these to me without even blinking so I got the chance to try them and give my take on it. I love you bro.

You all know what’s coming. Your boy is back into giving some impressions and nothing will paint the picture in a better way than a multi kilobuck IEM. Trio clocks in at around 2300$ and is packed with three drivers, as its name spoils: 1 DD + 1 BA + 1 Tia driver supertweeter. All the following impressions were gathered using Spinfit CP100 as tips and powered by Xduoo XD-05 Plus with Burson V5i opamps.

The good

Free the room, sit down and embrace yourself.

Trio has the best bass I’ve heard. Ever.

I know what I just said and its magnitude. I also know that would be enough for some people to stop reading and start googling a seller to buy it (after robbing a bank because, let’s face it, you can probably buy something cheaper in the Gucci Store).

For those that are still reading:

Trio has the best bass I’ve heard. Ever.

You might be shocked reading that graph, but it’s proof that well done bass favors quality over quantity. The extension, texture, micro details you get in the lower frequencies and the impact it offers is over the roof. Eleven out of ten.

The Treble extension of Tia Drivers is the best I’ve heard. Ever.

Tia drivers making the waves. Whatever mojo 64 Audio uses on these, it’s worth every penny. Listening to all the details up there still gives my wallet PTSD about U12T. Nothing has touched this level for me yet.

Stage width and imaging are great.

Out of the head presentation, well layered and sometimes even given some holographic pseudo acoustics with stellar imaging lets the experience talk for itself.

Separation and resolving power are great.

When you combine good imaging, detail retrieval and airyness, the recipe is obvious: You’re going to get multi-layer separation and everything will be clear as water. It has very good technicalities and that sense of high fidelity everyone is looking for when they get in the hobby.

The bad

The upper mid-range and lower treble is… ok.

Female vocals and cymbals lack that wow factor and I’m getting a sense of metallic timbre that I can live with, but it’s not perfect. I would prefer more note weight and a hair of warmth as well.

The flaws come out more evident given the not so good coherency and timbre.

Trio has clearly coherency issues. The difference between bass notes and upper mids is evident in speed and timbre decay. It’s not bad, but it’s not good.

Stage depth could be better.

Despite what I said earlier about the stage, the depth could be longer. From memory, its brother U12T wins it hands down in this department.

The ugly

Two thousand and three hundred dollars.

If someone looks at this phrase and doesn’t get a cold chill, I’m glad for them. It’s 2300 dollars for an IEM that has 3 drivers on it.

The preliminary conclusions

Together with U12T, trio is on top of the list of all the IEMs I’ve heard. I’m still shocked by its bass and that alone makes me wanna buy it. This might come across as a shock given I just gave it some heat, but the truth is, it’s a stellar IEM with some weak spots, but steallar non the less. The moment that price tag comes up, I have to nitpick as it’s not lunch money anymore. When I have other stuff that costs 3 to 4 times less on my table and fights the Trio on its weak spots, I can’t stop thinking about it.

From memory, I would still prefer the U12T overall, but Trio’s bass.

Preliminary ranking: S to S+. Value ranking: 3/5.

Reviewer notes: I should really re-do my way of ranking and maybe go back to 1 to 10 scale. I need more diversity to distinguish.

11 Likes

Great writeup!

@igor0203 is a Chad.

3 Likes

A word on Tripowin Noire: I like it. it’s not slim but behaves it’s not heavy at all. A nice option for people looking for cheap modular cables.

And it looks :fire:

3 Likes

:rofl: Man you could pretty much get a Z1R or MESTII + a DM for that kinda dosh :+1:

8 Likes

to avoid room treatment what about a near field setup, this 1m equilateral triangle configuration is perfect for desktop setup. a pair of used jbl 305 for $150 and you are good to go (ugly but cheap for the sound quality, it is the equivalent of er2xr unicorn position in the powered monitor world)

CCA CRA - Sample 2

What I use with Q5k:

20$ and EQ :person_shrugging:

Might be replaced by Chu next tuesday :smirk:

4 Likes

How is that peak at 8k like? Looks kind of harsh.

A bit before EQ, fine after EQ. It’s there but amplified by the coupler.

Could you post your EQ for the CRA?

Makes sense. The CRA is definitely an interesting set, especially with that price tag. I look forward to your take on the Chu! Also, I have to ask, that cable is quite nice, what is it?

1 Like

It is! I think it’s this one, but I remember it was cheaper, so I dunno. Bought it long time ago for my DQ6 that I no longer have.

1 Like

For $18 I can’t complain. The Tripowin Noir is on my radar. I definitely would like to see someone’s impressions on it. For $40 I can’t find another cable quite like it. Once I experienced the smart cable on the Monarch’s, I don’t think I can go back to traditional permanent termination type cables.

Im using it right now. Igor sent it with trio. I like it!

1 Like

Well then… that might be the next cable to buy! Should look great with my meles.

I can take a pic of it with Meles if u want :slight_smile: