Nymzreviews.com official thread

Were the OG Falcon Pro good?:thinking: What’s the tech like in comparison to 07M, variations etc?

1 Like

Tuning was not well received, but people agreed on some of the techs and potencial (eclipse driver).

This tuning seems much better, so lets see!

2 Likes

With the caveat that I have never actually had a chance to hear them, the consensus seemed to be that they were overly warm/thick in the lower mids, thus blunting everything that was good about them. This new variation, VERNUS, seems to rectify this by cutting the bass and mids leaner and tweaking the pinna gain, while still maintaining a warm profile. Dunu posted these graphs to show direct comparisons:

2 Likes

Atmospheric :grimacing:

3 Likes

Good call!

It might have changed a little from what precog had months ago, but hey, looks close!

Basicly sounds like a middle ground between DM and Ilu. Might be very interesting.

1 Like

Only 2 left :grimacing:

Dear Cult,

Hate him or love him
 Guess we have another cult member. Welcome @ZeosPantera.

Approved. And the first test track is Daft Punk so, it was a sign.

Best,

nymz
The CEO

8 Likes

As someone who never got the Illumination or DM, this just makes me even more excited!
Edit: Apparently the Reference tuning is basically Illumination Mode

2 Likes

Not sure what to expect, but hyped non the less.

7 Likes

I absolutely love the color.

Oh man they had orders open not just a leak! On their Facebook but not their site
 well that saved me some money I guess. Rats. (Units available for reservation sold out.)

5 Likes

Impossible to know yet, but if the reception of this model is positive enough, they may do a follow-up or “second run”, possibly in a different colorway. Plus, I’m sure there’ll be some people here that can loan theirs out (once they get them!) for the truly curious!

3 Likes

Just realized @Precogvision talked about it briefly on his assessment of Falcon Pro:

3 Likes

That is gorgeous hope they sound as good as they look

2 Likes

@nymz Was thinking about ordering one but :joy:

Does anyone know if it’s only out of stock for pre-orders or the entire thing?

1 Like

its gone now. Sold out in a few hours.

1 Like

Dang ya’ll are too fast :joy:

2 Likes

On your defense, only 100 worldwide. It sure wouldnt last long :joy:

2 Likes

Your wallet thanks you. :joy:

3 Likes

titan S review - By Erokh

History and disclaimer
Ok guys, here is my feedback on a week spent with the Titan S.
For a starter, I have to tell you the story of this test, as it is not common: I reported on that forum this I find the Olina has too much bass for my taste (I’m used to and I prefer brighter signatures), because the bass masks some parts of the mids. That’s where our Madman In Chief, @nymz, entered and told me the Titan S could be a set for me; I barely had the time to answer anything that he had already sent a parcel with some sets in it.
And here I was , with 3 sets for a week, and the only obligation of writing a feedback on the sets. (feedback I would have done even without someone asking me to).

In the following text, I’ll try and report in a condensed way the charactĂ©ristics of the set.

I listened with L&P W1 and radsone ES100; but my main testing rig is a Topping DX3pro V2
Titan were tested with spinfit CP100 all along

hardware
I don’t dig the look of the TItan S as much as others. Yes it is quite original, but I don’t find it really appealing. I like the seamless design between the cable and the bud, though.
For the fit, it is a little small for my taste; or too big
 I like the SSR because it is so small it basically enters into my ears; I like the Olina fit because it fills my ear comfortably. The Titan S is in between, and thus is less comfortable. It is not disturbing like a zex pro (that rubbs my ears with its wing), though. All in all, the fit is a little above average, for me.
the cable has a very good feeling to me: I like the simplicity of the 2 twisted cores; it is flexible and doesn’t tangle. I don’t like the brown color that much, but it functionnaly is a good cable.
I love the case! I would almost be able to buy a set of Titan S just for the case; if the color is a little too bright, all the other aspects are perfect for me: the size, the suppleness, the texture inside and outside,

Sound
The main course: how does it sound?
the Bass is here. it isn’t the star of the show, but it will be present when called for. Everything is played well and precisely (depeche mode - Welcome to My World, prodigy - Smack my bitch Up). There even is some slam (i.e. the kick you get in the back of your skull) in some instances.
mid-bass is here too, with just enough quantity (the bass Melody that starts at 0:50 in Lorde - Buzzcut Season is earable and has enough presence, but it is at the verge of being not enough).
Mids are a mixed bag: they are in front (and I like that), but are a little thin too. Especially for female vocals (Adele, Birdy). They manage to avoid bringing too much sibilance, even on tracks that are sibilant in the first place (Merzhin - l’étincelle, Birdy - skinny love).
treble: I always struggle to test/identify it, so things that I report here may be due to mids or something else. high hats and other treble-y percussions sound quite close and in front and never really sibilant (Merzhin - l’étincelle), but they lack body; they are a little thin.

technicalities
I must admit I didn’t concentrate that much on technicalities: the more I listen to iems, the more I figure out they all have appproximately the same stage; and I didn’t have enough time to test it properly. Titan S is no exception to other iems: it offers average performance on the subject. The instrument separation is, for me, on par with other sets in the price category.

pre-conclusion
The Titan, in itslef, is a good set; it is on par with the last offers in its price category (sub-100$): ie T3+, Olina, Aria,
 given the quality of those sets, it is quite an accomplishment. The thing is, it is made by Dunu, and given the reputation of the brand, you are less likely to encounter some QC issues than with thieaudio or Moondrop products. That should be taken into account when you buy from Chinese sellers, where sending back the set for repairs could cost you more than the set itself

Now that I presented the set in itself, I’ll compare it with others. unlike with my teas feedback, I have some experience in the sub-100$ category, and kept some sets at hand. So here are the matches!

VS Heart Mirror (tips: Azla Crystal)
The HZSound Heart Mirror has been praised by many reviewers as a set for vocal lovers, that offers great technicalities for its price. I bought it and found it a hard listen: everything is thin and agressive; there must be a frequency peak in the FR that my ears can’t bear. I had to intensively tip roll to make them listenable (I ended up with xelastec/crystal tips); but listenable doesn’t mean enjoyable

So, how does it compare to the Titan? On the first test track, (Adele) I was surprised to find that her voice is fuller with the HM: it can thank the boosted low-end of the tips for the slightly more meaty substance.
But the nature of the set can’t be hidden behind a retune : the reverb, the piano and everything in the upper-midrange is way more upfront and agressive. Nevertheless, the HM doesn’t pale against the Titan on this track.
On other tracks sadly, the trade-off the HM makes become more apparent : it is thinner, it sounds more hollow and more agressive. I didn’t really compared them on many tracks; but I have the feeling that the titan will be an easier listen in quite everything.

VS SSR (azla eartips)
the SSR is one of my first iems. Like the HM, it has thin bass, but it avoids the nasty peaks the HM has to deal with. So basically, the SSR is a set I enjoy; I put it in my “man purse” and bring it everywhere with me: it is my default beater set for when I travel around. and my backup set if anything happen to my main set (forgotten at home or lost or broken).
As with the HM, I tip rolled to bring some warmth in it, and ended up with Azla earfits.
When comparing the 2 set (SSR and Titan), one thing is quickly obvious: the Moondrop needs more power: I have to push 10% more power on it than on the Titan to get the same volume; that in itself make the test way less convenient.
The SSR has less low-end than the Titan, but it also has less treble. So the SSR ends up having less bass but presents fuller voices.
On the average tracks though, the lack of bass is just too much, and it can’t compete with Titan.

VS Aria (spinfit CP100)
oh, wait!! My Aria are dead, they don’t produce any sound now. The yhave to be forfeit, then

VS Olina (Spinfit cp100)
This is the main event, the set that punches way above its price and is inspired by a 250$ set, and the challenger that noone expected.
And it’s a close one. In fact, the 2 sets are so close that the only significant change I detected between the 2 is the bass quantity. For example, (apart from the bass) I consider these 2 sets closer from each other than the 2 versions of the Mangird Tea.
So at stock config, I find the Olina more versatile, more suited for every genre. But then I thought about something: it is easier, with tips, to bring up bass than to lower it. That’s why I may consider recommanding the Titan over the Olina:

• you may get it close to the Olina If you ever wanted (but you’ll have less chance to make the olina close to the Titan)
  • it is $20 cheaper
  • it has a reputable brand to follow it

Conclusion
the Titan is a very good set; bass is a bit light, but it is here still, and its quality is good. The set competes with the other top contenders of the price bracket, so it can be recommanded quite safely.
I prefer the Olina, And I think more people would like this, but for people who like a bright-ish set but like a little bit of oomph, titan S could be a good rec, expecially with the good tips.

Post Scriptum
My own conclusion suprises me a little: I thought I would prefere the Titan S over the Ollina, after what I reported on the Olina and the way I travelled throught my audiophile journey. But the experience with teas have left its mark, and I guess I changed my audio expectations. I think I begin to grasp some frequencies I never heard before, in the low-end spectrum, and that novelty attracts me.

7 Likes