Nymzreviews.com official thread

TGXEAR Tantalus Review

My long overdue review for the Tantalus is now live!

Hope you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed listening to this.

13 Likes

Iā€™ll pretend I didnā€™t read that so I donā€™t second guess my Serratus that should be delivered next week :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Donā€™t. Serratus is still my Queen :crown:

But after Serratus, I garantee you will want both :slight_smile:

:money_with_wings:

1 Like

Stupendous write up. Love the table format for comparing all three. You make the differences very specific and clear.

1 Like

I warned they would get shorter, but I try to keep it all there still.

Earbuds are way more dificult to review as you have to forget everything you know, close your eyes and let the ears do the work.

1 Like

I second what @rattlingblanketwoman said - the table format is top tier - east to read and follow along with what youā€™re saying. Fantastic write-up, brother. Now I think I know which one Iā€™ll go with if they are still available once I get my finances together. The Tantaus seems to be the one.

1 Like

Would love to hear how they compare to RSV!

1 Like

That 3kHz peak/bump would most likely annoy the heck out of me. On paper, the SA6 Ultra looks more appealing

Iā€™m on it :slight_smile:

Also Anole VX :person_cartwheeling:

2 Likes

Dont worry, itā€™s smooth like silk. RSV mid range is to die for, with silky vocals.

The bump is to compensate for its bass shelf. So you still have some bite to the area. The bass shelf is made to compensate its BA nature, so it still kicks you like a mule. The sub bass suffers tho.

Damn, RSV so good. SA6 will most likely win in techs department.

1 Like

It is funny that you called one of Tantalus pro: ā€œmakes you want to danceā€.
Just yesterday in the evening after a horrible, very long day I was cooking with Serratus on (Qudelix 5k obviously) to some crescendo/build up based playlist on Spotify and I was jamming so hard, and all my emotions went away with that.
For example the moment in the Wait by M83 when it all kicks in for the end made me rock my whole body left and right.
Buds were falling in and out of my ear, but I did not care, I put them so loud that I could probably wear them on my neck.

Afterwards Qian39 by TGXear, Bon Iver for chill and falling asleep. Call it a day

BTW, Mests went out of the closet 2 days ago, I put them in for a listening session (not really a proper A/B) and they are stunning as well still, I underestimated their capabilities.
They are more fitted to wider range of genres than Serratus, but in some of them Serratus specializes better. Just a different use scenario and now I feel like buds and hearing my surroundings

4 Likes

People focus too much on this instead of this

If it hits your soul, itā€™s a keeper.

I will never forget the first time I heard some of my faavourites. I donā€™t care if something is perfect or not. If it gets me on my feet dancing, itā€™s good.

4 Likes

Yes, but I get it honestly, not everyone is so lucky to afford having couple of different sets for different moods, not even speaking of having a collection like you or couple of others in the hobby :slight_smile: Also I have days when I am rocking my shit on with KZ CRN, soā€¦

3 Likes

Thatā€™s my point, actually. You dont need anything to be happy, as long as it is rocking your soul.

My getaway drug is an Olina with a Qudelix. Thatā€™s 200 bucks :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Sorry for double postingā€¦ sausage fingers.

Just registered to the forum, but Iā€™ve been lurking around for a while already. Iā€™ve been an owner of the OG Tea for a year and a half or so, which brings me to my point.

Iā€™ve really enjoyed the OG Tea, but I felt I wasnā€™t able to get the most out of it even after extensive tip rolling, and ended up using the spiral dots mk1 tips on it. Then I noticed @nymz suggesting Radius Deep Mounts to go with the OG Teas, so I ordered them from Amazon.jp and had been using them for a week or so.

I have to say these tips were amazing on these IEMs, and I feel like they finally unlocked the full potential of the OG Teas. Originally, I wanted to register and thank you @nymz for this suggestion (and I still am grateful for it), but due to circumstances - I now have a dilemma Iā€™d like to get advice from you guys.

Yesterday, I came home from work to find out our 6 month old puppy had somehow gotten itā€™s paws on my Teas, and well, there was nothing left of the shells - just the innerds chewed up. So, now I have to replace these with new IEMs.

I have punch of other lower tier IEMs in the below 150ā‚¬ mark, but I need something better than those - something at least on the OG Teaā€™s tier.

I was thinking of spending up to around 600ā‚¬ on the replacement/upgrade, and I already had semi-decided on getting the Tea 2 and the HBB Raptgo Hook X as a package, but then I noticed the Mangird Top as a recent release.

Iā€™m hesitant to pull the trigger on the Top since there are no reviews out on it, but do you guys think I should just go for it as it would probably be a big upgrade to the OG Tea?

As the Top is a hybrid like the Teas with just additional BAs - Iā€™d imagine it would be a straight upgrade within the Mangird house sound. I really liked the OG Teaā€™s sound signature, but if that could be elevated a couple of notches, I wouldnā€™t complain.

I listen to all kinds of music from classical to electronic, but mainly alternative rock and proggressive metal with occasional dance music (Daft Punk, Justice and Crystal Method) sprinkled in. Therefore, Iā€™d like an allrounder like the OG Tea.

What do you guys think? And sorry for the long post to start things off.

7 Likes

Yea, I thought you meant that people focus more on finding universal sets that plays everything well, than finding a set that plays particular genres amazingly well.

1 Like

Wait for Tea TOP review. For progressive metal better a good DD, may not be very expensive.

2 Likes

Hello and welcome to hfgf!

Thanks for the trust and the kind words, those speak volumes :slight_smile:

Now, as for Teasā€¦ The question you should be asking is: do you want the same tonality? What would you change about it?

If you want the same tonality, the answer is pretty simple in my mind, but if you want to change it, Iā€™d need to know more about your preferences.

As for Top, it just got announced. I requested a sample, letā€™s see how that goes. Tea2 is on sale atm with a compeling price. I shall have HBB Hook-X tomorrow so I can give you an insight on that one.

Any question, donā€™t hesitate to ask here or PM me :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This ^

Planars work too due to speed, but I still prefer a (good) DD for it.

1 Like

Yes, you are probably right, but I nowadays rarely listen to just one artist or a specific album at a time. Instead I just hit shuffle on my library and see what the audio gods throw my way.

I do have plenty of inexpensive DDs, and I do like the Blon BL05s with reversed Starline tips as an inexpensive allrounder - the overall stage just isnā€™t as wide as Iā€™d like, and itā€™s lacking in technicalities compared to the Tea.

2 Likes