Nymzreviews.com official thread

They are candidates for sure. But I am waiting for some other drivers directly from the OEM.

1 Like

I have an SPL meter + use a 440hz tone.

Edit: Link for SPL meter (aliexpress)

Damn, arenā€™t those pretty as f***. :fire: :fire:

Thanks for taking care of them :heart:

2 Likes

okay interesting! so you use a 440hz tone! I have an SPL meter too that looks pretty much the same as the one you linked. how do you fit the IEM on? I cut some rubber hose and put it over the top of the meter after removing the foam and screw on cover.

So I tested the 440hz tone and I get 71db at the same power that I was getting 75db with the pink noise! Very interesting

I made a styrofoam tube where I slide the iem into it and it touches the mic.

I always aim for 77db as itā€™s a comfortable level for me, not because itā€™s a magical number :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I totally get it, its more about consistency and comfort than anything else. Its just hard when people say donā€™t listen over 85db for extended amount of time or else you will damage your hearing yet music bounces all over the place, its not like people are listening to sine waves for 4 hours straight!

I realized after we talked that I was definitely listening to music too loud and now listen way lower. I usually start my day around 100 RMS (roughly 72db @ 440hz) but if I am getting into the music it can go upwards of ~260 RMS (92db @ 440hz). Before I was at 530 RMS (99db @ 440hz)!!

4 Likes

Take care of your ears man, you only have a pairā€¦

I would not go over 85db. I actually canā€™t, it just rips my head off.

2 Likes

Hi,
I think there is no right way in my opinion.

Donā€™t look at short burst of peak volume as those may be caused by so-called transients (which may be in 20-30 dB SPL in range) and as long as those peaks are not in 110dB range and are short (as name suggest) you should be fine.

Setting a volume for AB with SPL meter is one thing (and in my opinion it is more truthful based on pink noise of some kind than on sine wave as it "dissolves "/averages the varying frequency response of the IEM), but checking how loud you are listening is impossible unless you have positive model of your concha and ear canal molded :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You already know //^\ :infinity: :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Oooh that would be very interesting and surely very welcome! It sounds kind of like the bud version of the Focal Clear which Iā€™d be all for!

2 Likes

Focal Clear OG is my favourite pair of headphones and one of the best transducers Iā€™ve heard.

Great taste :call_me_hand: I should grab it rn :grin:

3 Likes

totally, its important to take care of our ears. The whole not going over 85db though is kind of my point. No two people measure the same way so your power setting for 85db may measure 90 db to someone else. Also since in actual practice music (at least what i listen to) is too dynamic to just pick a number set by measuring a static SPL. At 85db some songs I listen to can go up to the mid 90s and down to the low 70s.

If someone is measuring with a goal to not go over a certain db Iā€™m wondering if it makes more sense to measure at the highest peak of an IEMs FR graph since in theory nothing sound play higher than thatā€¦ Just a thought

1 Like

I only care 100% when im hearing, but im too trained to know when im around that bracket without even touching the meter.

Guess that also comes after you listened critically more than 100 setsā€¦

On buds i always find myself closer to 80@ 440hz

1 Like

Itā€™s more about your average listening level. Of course if you get a small burst, or even a longer amount of time of 90+db, youā€™re not going to go deaf. The people that cheer at an NFL game, to the extent they set off earthquake measuring equipment, didnā€™t go deaf from that.

But prolonged exposure to constant loud sounds harm. Itā€™s like going to a dentist office and they give you the giant lead coat to hold, while they leave the room. You getting one set of shots of radiation wonā€™t harm you with basic protections. Them firing that radiation multiple times a day for days, weeks, months, or years would accumulate, if they were in the room every single time.

1 Like

Well I been rambling too much and speaking about sets too little.

Iā€™ll shoot some darts:

Planar market is so uninspired that you lose any will of picking them up.

The bracket circa 300-400 was left alone like a xmas tree outside the house to be picked up later.

Tribids (600 bracket) did not evolve.

Retunes, colabs, recolors. What the hell.

Well, back to ramblings.

12 Likes

I usually listen at around 75db long sessions, and 85db around an hour max every other day, so my hearing is still fine. Just donā€™t be blasting your ears for more than an hour everyday and youā€™re gucci.

@nymz Business is business after all :man_shrugging: Itā€™s hard since diminishing returns is a real thing that limits companies from being more liberal with their pricing. But ya, retunes and stuff are really annoying. Pays well I guess?

1 Like

Now a days, I try not to listen to anything louder than 80 db. About level 20-25 on the BTR7 in low gain on a set like the OH10. But when I was younger, Jesus Christ I must have not really cared about my ears.

I remember, I was about 14, 15 years old, I would listen to music on BLAST - 100% out of a MacBook for literal HOURS. I had just found so much new music, and Alive 2007 had just come out and I would just torrent entire albums, and jam out all day. My tinnitus must
Have developed then. No bueno, boys. Take care of ya ears!

4 Likes

Oh yeah, :atm:

I got approached about if there was any set id like to take a retune on, and sincerly, thereā€™s not much atm.

Market is over saturated as hell.

2 Likes

when I was younger some of my friends were the ā€œfull blast music when in a carā€ type, also blasting music in their basement so loud it shook the concrete floor, meanwhile I was like ā€œwhy do you need it this loud it actually hurtsā€ lol

3 Likes

I get it and I didnā€™t mean to throw the thread into a db conversation. My point is that people talk about what is a safe db to listen to but in my opinion there isnā€™t a consistent and good way to measure it. I doubt anyone is actually tracking the SPL of the music they listen to real time and averaging it. For instance, pretty much every pink noise track on Spotify is 10-15db lower than the normal SPL of songs so if you tried to set your volume based on that you will probably blow out your ears.

At the end of the day its about being able to enjoy the music and you canā€™t do that if your ears are broken so I will continue listening at the lowest volume that allows me to enjoy the music, whatever that db may be.

Thatā€™s all I got on the matter, sorry again for throwing the thread off.

5 Likes