Nymzreviews.com official thread

Based on Timmy’s rankings the P5 (B+) has better treble and bass, whereas the Hexa (B) has better detail/soundstage. Surprisingly that’s perfect for me because I was thinking of adding a filter to the Hexa to increase bass and decrease the treble (which was the nitpick Timmy had for the Hexa). Since the Hexa is ranked better in tech, I think the best bet is to get the Hexa and then filter mod it if needed.

5 Likes

where did you find this ranking list? The one linked on his thread is different

He just made a new version a few days ago - I believe he posted a link on his YouTube community tab.

1 Like

There’s a link in the old list, that sends you to the new list

1 Like

Please nymz. Review new ikko!!

same… headphones.com has them for 10% and it keeps winking at me.

The sound profile of warmth + thick vocals + punch bass really is right up alley.

1 Like

Here is my review of the Mangird Xenns Top. Pretty close to my initial assessment. A detail beast, but troublingly V-shaped.

4 Likes

It only took one wink for me to order after I saw them on sale. Mine should arrive by Tuesday. Good deal seeing if I don’t like them I’ll lose less on resale. However, the FR graph and @nymz green light on them have me believing they’ll be a sure winner.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback, pal :slightly_smiling_face:

I tried the default tips but couldn’t get a damn seal with it. For the tips, I had to use a size above what I usually use for other iems. I had such a hard time getting a seal that this factor became the main factor, sound enhancement becoming the second one. That’s the first time I struggle that much with fit and seal .
My top 3 picks for big panda are:
Cp145 : as usual, these tips extend the low end and high end of the spectrum, relatively lowering the mid-bass . The 145 is the easiest tip to install on these f*cking long nozzles.
Final E: one tip I have to check any time I tip roll, with any iem . Brings up the bass, tame the treble. Saved the heart mirror for me. For you, it may enhance an existing problem for a set being already too warm
E-horn : best comfort for me, and a sound good enough.

Honourable mention to the reverted starline eartips, too, as they offered good comfort

Regarding your case, I would advise you to try whizzer et100 or spring tips: these tips tame the bass and bring up some parts of the treble.

On my part, I still have to a/b to get a real feel of the set. I spent the whole week listening to it, to get used to it and “give it a chance”. But I find them pretty meh. I must add that I got the s12 pro in the same purchase, and out of the box I find the s12 way more appealing: the fit is way easier to me, and I enjoy the sound right out of the box.

1 Like

thank you for all the suggestions friend :slight_smile: might try some
im sorry to hear you don’t like them as much as i do but consider EQ them and see where it leads you.

1 Like

This makes sense. The P1 Max is the only pure planar in the wave of the last year that is tuned the way it is. It doesn’t sound like the other planar, so it’s going to be a hit or a miss, depending on if you like planar tonality and timbre or don’t. Sounds like you’re in the “like” camp :+1:t5:

1 Like

I tried the timeless a while ago. They didn’t move me, but now i Wonder if it wasn’t just my amps that were too weak for it (es100 and dx3pro, at that time). Now I have the ho100 amp, I feel a difference in bass response with my q5K.

I love my planar headphones (he400i), so I’m a huge believer in planar tech.

Regarding the P1, I have the feeling it’s sound Sig is nearer my other sets than the s12, and that’s what hurts it. I will soon make a shootout between olina , s12, p1Max and trn ST5. The results could be interesting. And I’ll sale at least 2 of them afterwards cause I don’t need that many iems

One thing I’ll try for sure is eqing. I’ll try the rec in the q5K, and I’ll probably try some EQ to get closer to the s12. This way I may have a different picture of the set. But I’m not really an eq guy: as with cables, I can’t afford to believe I. It as it is just a new rabbit hole to explore :sweat_smile:

Even just EQing P1 Max to Timeless would probably make a difference for you. But I would be expecting you to go Olina/S12, with maybe a shout for the TRN. That would be an accurate sound signature and a fun one. That should be enough to take care of you

That’s also my guess: olina and S12; but I want to keep as honnest as I can, judge them side by side… and eventually report back to you all :wink:

I thought I remembered seeing you say not too long ago that you were trying to close the book on chonky priced IEMS and keeping to just playing around budgety-ish priced ones for fun. Though that could have easily been someone else who said that in this rabbit hole of a thing that doesn’t turn into a major hobby for me. :sweat_smile::grimacing:

1 Like

My vote goes to Olina :wink:.

1 Like

I may have. My memory isn’t always that great. I had owned the U12T, Mest MKII, Monarch MKII and EE Legend Evo awhile back. Probably was going more in line with saying I’m done with the kilobuck and above IEMs. Seems like these days the $600 range is my sweet spot give or take few. Who knows with the rate of the market and advancements maybe that’ll lower. Quite possible it’ll stay and for the same amount I’ll get the tech that’s in the kilo above bracket in the future.

1 Like

Since I saw several positive reviews/feedbacks about it, I decided I should give another go on P1Max, with the default tips.
The initial impression was really weird, as I got a seal on one side but not the other.

It seems that I pushed the tips too far on the nozzle, stretching the bore and preventing them to work properly. I then tried to push them gentler. With the M sized tips and a careful ingress, I managed to get a seal on both sides. Since then, I get a sound taht is quite in line with what I thought I should get, considering the graph.

That may even the battelfield for this contender.

1 Like

it my not be the best planar on the market right now, but for 85$? i don’t think there’s a planar that can deliver more and has more potential.
tips really do play a major roll on the p1 max, seal makes huge difference.
i was interested also about the p1 plus thanks to @Cameleon30 but got the pandas instead cause i was afraid i was gonna lack bass, but now im even more interested about the p1 plus because of that “lack of bass” :joy:

2 Likes

Enjoy! One of the best planar graphics I’ve seen. I’d buy it in a heartbeat, but it just doesn’t fit most of my music library. I think it’s a planarian killer for the price :slight_smile: .

1 Like