Nymzreviews.com official thread

No need to apologize. This ain’t my thread, this our thread. All good :cookie:

3 Likes

I hope I can demo Storm someday, but I gotta be honest, that’s waaaaaaaaay above my paygrade.

You never saw me reviewing Trio, VX, U12T and others for a reason. As a reviewer, I can’t get past the value tag, unless it’s breakfast money for the asking people.

8 Likes

I’d love to go to a CANJAM or something and demo sets I’d never dream of buying, just for the experience of being able to say “they are fantastic (or garbage) and not worth you money”.

Granted, first I have to break the $300 barrier. But dreams are dreams lol.

I think my current top “bucket list” IEM is a FatFreq Hayabusa. My current curiosity is their Tsuru set. Why would you make a legitimately FLAT IEM, and why does it cost $1200? :exploding_head:

4 Likes

Thank you man, I think I’ll jump on those using my Christmas wish list​:grin:. As far as functionality goes I really only use whatever app I’m using that is playing the audio (or video) whenever I am using bluetooth from my phone like with my Sony true wireless earbuds (w-whatever-other-letter-followed-by-numbers it is named, it’s the ones that look like truffles), so I don’t even need the dedicated app. So long as they don’t cut out and in while my phone is in my pocket that’s generally all that matters to me :wink:

1 Like

Same here. I would really love to have a listen, but there’s no way I’m pitching that kinda money in on a blind buy just to satisfy my curiosity. I have a very wealthy friend who’s interested in them so I have my fingers crossed that he’ll bite the bullet for the both of us lol! :joy:

1 Like

WF-1000XM3/4

(yes, I remember a lot of their model names.) :joy:

2 Likes

What is it I could await a couple months for instead? :hushed:

I think they took Jerry Harvey’s “flat line to 20khz” mantra a little to literally. Curiosity has me wanting to hear how that sounds though.

2 Likes

It’s like there taking cues from Microsoft’s Xbox naming team or some crap lol

1 Like

Sony´s naming scheme is quite confusing at the start, but once you learn a bit more, it gets a bit more clear.

WF = true wireless earphones
WH = bluetooth headphones
MDR = monitor reference
IER = in ear reference
XBA = extra bass
ST = Studio (only 3 products here, MDR-EX800ST, MDR-M1ST, MDR-CD900ST)

6 Likes

That’s kinda fantastic that the EX800ST is a studio reference set by design, but it’s biggest claim to fame is the tape mod that turns it into a bass monster.

Love it!

3 Likes

haha yeah, that was designed to be a live monitor for the musicians that wanted to hear the outside sound rather than close it off like usual live monitors.

1 Like

Yeah for only housing BAs and ESTs I wonder why they went so big? :thinking:

Holy that would be a literal gamechanger! :scream:
Love the 5k especially for its software.

2 Likes

Bigger shell is better acoustically, or at least have more potential.

(take a look at all speakers and headphones and u see how the more expensive u go the bigger they usually are.)

I thought that was specifically the case for DD and Planars though as the Traillii and U12t for instance are not big.

Hopefully I’ll hear back from the dudes that were talking about it on headfi soon and I’ll let you know if they have any updates or additional info. I’m also wading through Qudelix5k posts on headfi right now trying to find the convo to see if there’s any info in it that I didn’t mention here.

1 Like

It affects them more for sure.

Doesn’t Fiio do something similar with it’s naming scheme? It looks like a mess, but it actually has a point, right?

Yes. I believe its something like:

JD = jade Audio Dynamic driver
FD = Fiio Dynamic driver
FH = Fiio hybrid
JH = Jade Audio Dynamic driver
FA = Fiio Armature (BA)
FW = Fiio wireless

The numbers is what I dont have much of a clue, except bigger is better. :joy:

2 Likes