Nymzreviews.com official thread

I agree. You won’t be able to hear much of difference if you just have it on while working or doing something etc, but like @GooberBM said you can definitely hear the differences when you only focus on it without other distractions. For example, I usually listen lying in bed and really have the environment to focus on the music and by correlation the set, and to me there’s a drastic difference switching from something like the Wan’er to the Serratus or EJs. It also really depends on the music; some songs just sound very similar on all the sets, but overall although not a night and day difference - I’d say it’s more like a day and dusk difference.

6 Likes

Did you manage to get your gf trapped in this hobby too??

2 Likes

Don’t look at me. She jumped down the rabbit hole on her own. Poor thing had so much FOMO watching me play with my toys, I’d have been a monster to keep it to myself.

Plus I had every class of Rikubuds, Serratus, and Ripples in my house the last 2-3 weeks. How could I not share?

9 Likes

Speaking of Rikubuds it looks like they will be getting to my house today!

5 Likes

I’m excited! The buds and you hearing my preference for the Vortex mod is almost as exciting as getting my own sets to hear!

1 Like

The FOMO was REALLY BAD, LOL! :rofl:

4 Likes

Yes, there are reasons why I don’t sell MEST and leave myself with different versions of Cadenzas all around and I am still in the hobby.
Most of my listening scenarios the difference is not even on night vs. dusk level, but I would keep them even for those full attention 30mins in bed where it starts to be very clear and awarding :face_holding_back_tears:

4 Likes

:wink: :notes:

1 Like

Similar sound.
From first impressions Edxs more bass, more scene (little more), Focal clear is clearer (little more), better image.
Looking at the prices it is absurd that the Clear sells for more than 1000€.

2 Likes

goes on sale pretty frequently in the US ($800 was the most recent)
at that price IMO worth it because -
build is much better.
comfort is much better for me but some people aren’t bothered by the XS headband/pads so ymmv.
both stock cables suck but at least the focal cable looks nice.
you don’t need a amp for the clear because they are way easier to drive.

The last thing you said is the most important thing for me. A mobile phone can move it.
On the subject of comfort, both seem comfortable to me. Cable issue, that’s all… Sound, little difference in listening, a little better the Clear but nothing to pay so much more …

@SoundEater :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I watched it. After more people buy IE200 we will comment. IE200 can’t beat IE600, even only in FR. There’s no way, they’re a different level! But if you want to walk around and casually listen to music - buy the IE200, if you are a serious audiophile with sound criticism - the IE600.
By the way, I never trust this reviewer, he seems half competent to me! :notes: :wink:

4 Likes

of couse it won’t dethrone the IE600, its not supposed to, but after seeing you enjoying the IE600 so much i got curious, specially knowing you are also a metal lover :v:

3 Likes

nymz’s articles: 2022’s wrap-up and current favorites

25 Likes

@nymz I found this summary very helpful. Still mostly an over ear guy, but
enjoying my Olinas and on the lookout for a complement, lol.
Thanks for the album list too. While I enjoy the modern-take creativity of Richter’s Vivaldi, I most enjoy this very well performed and recorded more
traditional one by Janinine Jansen. Cheers and best wishes for a safe, happy, fulfilling new year!
Timhttps://open.spotify.com/track/0Go4cVHryJLcpY2pZVkV3A?si=d765cc08cb3945f6 I use AMHD and it’s at times stunning!

4 Likes

Fabulous.

2022 was an amazing year for audio and I’m glad I had you as a guidance.

So happy to see the Monarch’s making the year end list - I have since had them shelved for a while, after discovering the Maestro Mini, everything else feels boring and this honey moon phase just won’t quit, but I still have a special place in my heart for the Monarch’s.

Fun, read, robot brother - thank you for your work and dedication :handshake:

Ps. Alive 2007 has been on my most played albums list year after year since probably 2009 and that’s not an exaggeration :face_holding_back_tears: /^\ :infinity:

5 Likes

It seems to me that nymz’s articles are missing something… :thinking:
But it was an interesting and informative read! :upside_down_face:
By the way M6U and M7 Titanium (eight-channel beast from the future) are the same price in my country, just an interesting fact! :no_mouth:

2 Likes

" Shanling M7 Titanium is on the way". :notes: :purple_heart: :heart_eyes:
thumb_d_gallery_base_82560b4c

7 Likes

Would love your thoughts on how the IE600 sounds with it. Now that I am getting the serratus I’m thinking it’s time to get a source upgrade to probably handle them and of course the IE600 has gotta sound good on them too

1 Like