Nymzreviews.com official thread

I’m giving them away as a late Xmas gift :stuck_out_tongue: I’m very curious about S12 tho :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’m so curious about this too - it’s almost at a price where I could blind buy but I will resist :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Nice write-up! I like your bullet point alerts at the start of the review. Happy listening!

1 Like

Wonderful write up thanks!

2 Likes

Rapid-fire impressions: Christmas aftermath
Part One - IEM Edition

Tin Hifi P1 Plus (Planar)

Unless you’re under a rock you know that, after the inital waves of timeless, Tin Hifi quickly came out with a revision on its most sold planar, T1, and called it plus. Major changes seem to be a slight tuning change and the efficiency of the IEM itself - OG P1 seems to take more energy than the sun can give, - which was very welcomed by the P1 cult followers.
I decided to try it since I had zero experience with planars and also to have something to compare with timeless and, oh boy, was I wrong.
Everyone knows by now that I’m a special snowflake and I like lower elevations, darker trebles, loads of mids so, as you can imagine, once I saw the graph, I was sold.

Yeaaaahhh, no. I don’t like the stock tuning and it just feels veiled. None of the planar awsomeness except for the timbre…

PEQ time, I guess (image is using Riku’s measurements as a guidance and then proceeded to use my ears as a tuner):

Low-shelf: +3db @ 100hz - Q:1
Peak: +3 @ 2500hz - Q:3
Peak: +3 @ 3900hz - Q:3

Still a no to me. Despite a better tuning, sound is still a bit veiled and I don’t like its techs: Depth is bad, stage is not the greatest and imaging is average. Detail tho, it’s not the best and not at all what I was expecting.

Very hard for me to rec it when Timeless exists on a similar price (during sales) and I’d much rather just get Etymotic ER2XR at 100usd over these.

Conclusion: Want a planar? Buy 7hz Timeless. Want the best around 100usd? Get etymotic ER2XR if you don’t mind the fit. I don’t have much more to add to it at this point…

Value Ranking: 2/5

Final Audio VR3000 (1DD)

Single DD kicking in at around 80 bucks, having 5 minutes of spotlight due to a flash sale on Amazon UK and thanks to @PopinTeddy 's shilling. We can always use more Final E tips, right?

First, let’s talk abou the big Dumbo in the room. Final Audio channel matching is worse to none. This alone is a nice reason to avoid their IEMs.
Second, the price. Although most people paid around 30 bucks during the sale, its MSRP is 80 bucks. That puts you above Mele price and right below Etymotic price, A.K.A. too close to the sun.

Tuning wise, they don’t offend me since the mids are actually good for the price I paid for it. Bass is not overcooked and has minimal texture, which is still fine if we consider what I paid for it. Treble is… below average and overcooked. It has some weird sharpness and timbre, that if I didn’t knew better, I’d say this IEM was an hybrid. My guess is that the driver is at its limits to reach that tuning. Also the 8k seems to be a real peak and not a coupler artifact. Extension is average for the price.

Technicalities wise, well, it’s a bummer. Firstly it’s a gaming/VR set, so what do are we expecting? Did I heard someone saying Stage? Yeah, nope. Depth and height are none existent (inside your head, width is average at best…
So, where’s the VR part of it? Imaging I guess, since it’s actually well done, but since it lacks stage presentation… 1+1=2.
Detail is average for price but bad for MSRP. Timbre is not good on treble at least.

Conclusion: There are cheaper ways to get Final E tips.

Value Ranking: 1/5 (at 80 USD)

13 Likes

did you ever sell your fidelio x3s? just curious

1 Like

I am still considering buying a Moondrop Variations despite owning and loving the timeless… I would primarily hope it to be even more detailed in the treble (everyone is talking about that magic Variations treble) and some more slam. I am aware of the analytical nature and the lacking mid bass of the Variations, which I expect to suit my preference.

Would you say it’s worth it or is the timeless on par and it’s not worth spending the money on the Variations?

3 Likes

The dilemma at the moment is: is S12 a killer of everything, including FH9? I don’t think so, but let’s wait for the people who will buy it. :wink:

1 Like

Not yet! Anything you wanna know?

Variations has more detailed and better treble, yes. regarding bass, it’s negative elevation and negative slam. If you want slam, avoid Variations. I’d say EJ07m for tribid if slam is request, but treble is darker than Variations (altho more naturaly detailed, but Variations feels as much if not more resolving due to fake treble elevation).

1 Like

If Shuoer is able to do a timeless with better stage, everything will be in trouble under 500 usd. I’m just not sure it can be done. Let’s see how it goes :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Rapid-fire impressions: Christmas aftermath
Part Two - Sources Edition

xDuoo MT-602 (Hybrid Desktop Tube Amp)

Season of firsts for me: with first planars came along with first tube experience, as I decided the time was right to delve into this hole.

MT-602 kicks around 100 USD, is an hybrid Class-A amp, containing tubes on the pre-amp. Tubes can be rolled, but my impressions will be only regarding stock tubes. It’s non-balanced, which means both of the outputs are single ended (6.35mm and 3.5mm).

As expected, this source is very powerful and not made to IEMs making most of them have some background noise - You’ve been warned. There’s also some channel imbalance when volume is too close to zero.

Sound-wise, I’d describe it as slightly smoothed out - like EST drivers do, - a hair warmer and a soundstage increase. For power hungry IEMs like Timeless, P1 Plus or Heart Mirror, this is just heavenly, and they have no background noise.

Conclusion: This is my first time using any type of tubes but so far, this gets a big rec on niche situations. To me, planars sound better on it than on solid state only. Also, for 100usd, you can’t go wrong if you’re always at a desktop and you just want a toy to use from time to time.

I’ll keep playing with it when at home and maybe roll the tubes in the future.

Topping NX7 (Portable AMP)

Topping decided to come back again with another portable amp. The plan was simple, no bells and whistles, just the essential: A volume knob, a 3.5mm line-in, a 3.5mm single-ended output, a 4.4mm balanced output, a gain button and a usb-c charging port.

Simple right? It better sound good.

And hell if it does! 0.1ohm OI, 1400w @ 32ohm (srsly, wtf?!!) and negative gain on the lowest setting just makes your IEMs like you ever wished they always were: Dead silent but deadly.

No, I’m not joking. It’s dead silent even though it can power a horse. Perfect for IEMs.

How does it sound? Well, veeeery clean so if you like more colored sounding sources, avoid this one. Soundstage is also big, giving it a better sense of separation and air. It brings me back memories of my L&P W2 dongle, maybe a bit more clinical.

It’s very clinical, as Topping’s desktop amps are described, so I’m guessing it’s the same Mojo. I love it, but I can see why some would call it lifeless.

“But nymz, it doesn’t have a dac!”

Yes, you gotta use a dongle. Apple dongle is literally 8 USD.

“Also no Bluetooth!”

Yes, but you can use a BT dongle and solve both problems. Qudelix5k comes to mind :wink:

Also, a word on portability: it’s not that heavy, somewhat slim and has a nice form factor, especially if you wanna stack it with your phone/dap.

Conclusion: Big rec. I thought xDuuo XD-05 balanced would win the source of year award for me personally, but I’m not so sure anymore. Insane. Rec’d if you like clinical sources - I love it.

Hiby R5 Saber (Android DAP)

Disclaimer: For some weird stuff it seems that I got a version (chinese?) without google play store. I’m in contact with the seller to figure it out, but that doesn’t matter as the hardware specs are the same and I’m using flacs to test this.

At around 400 usd but most of the times found on sale for 300-350, Hiby’s R5 Saber has impressive specs on the paper: 1W @ 16ohm, 4.4mm balanced output, 3.5mm single-ended output that also serves as a lineout, Android 8.1 and a claim of 18h battery life. Box already includes a leather case so, don’t be me, and buy one on the side :upside_down_face:

Form factor is very good for portability. Slim, small and light - reminding me of a much better version of the Sony NWA-105 I’ve owned before. Interface speed is fine and I haven’t found any bugs so far.

Regarding sound, that’s where it keeps getting interesting: It sounds amazing! It’s somewhere between NX7 and XD-05 Bal, as it is very clean but feels slightly more alive than NX7, without being as colored as xDuoo’s. Separation and stage also on pair with my other portable sources. Once again, the W2 vibes kick in.

Regarding power and OI: So far, no hish (I’m looking at you M3X) and enough power to take anything I own to the tracks.

Conclusion: This is my 3rd DAP but by far the best. It sounds amazing, not just as a DAP, but a source itself. I love it and it quickly threw M3X and NWA-105 out of the boat. Size is amazing if you love smaller/more portable daps. Power is enough for pretty much anything regarding IEMs. Big rec as well.

9 Likes

Update: as you guys can see, I’ve been busy. Part three will come in the next few days and it’s regarding TWS. But we all know what you are waiting for (as so am I because I literally gave them zero attention so far):

Igor sent me back my EJ07m so I can also do some A/B. :face_with_monocle:

5 Likes

oh, what about the tiny Sony SBH24? :thinking:

2 Likes

Completly forgot I had that lol. It’s still inside the box. Only took out MH755 :woman_facepalming:

2 Likes

Really debating getting myself the Hiby R5 Saber :eyes:

2 Likes

Just throwing in my two cents.

In terms of detail and resolution, the Variations is definitely one of the most resolving IEMs out there. Among all the IEMs I’ve tried, the only ones that edge it out are much more expensive: Unique Melody MEST MK1/2, 64Audio U12t, QDC Anole VX.

Part of that is due to it‘s excellent treble extension, but the midrange and bass are equally as detailed. Bass Texture and Detail is a big strength of the Variations.

Another part of this is the overall tuning being very clean. The Variations is a very clear sounding IEM. The UM MEST is one of the other IEMs that come to my mind in that regard.

The ThieAudio Oracle is a very clear sounding IEM as well with beautiful timbre, but not quite as detailed.

3 Likes

Thanks for your input <3

One thing that I liked better with the Blessing 2 compared to the timeless was its bass punch (after EQ). The timeless base was plentiful, but pale in comparison. I guess I don’t know about top tier bass (since nymz said, that the bass on the Variations is not great), but I would imagine the bass not to be worse on the Variations than on the Blessing. And at the very least it is there without the need for EQ.

I had the chance to listen to the U12t some months ago… I can’t remember details, but the major thing was: I didn’t like it. For me personally the 7hz timeless is simply and plainly the better IEM. The U12t sounded too warm/laidback/dark/whateveryouwannacallit. It didn’t matter to me what qualities it may had otherwise, because of the end of the day, I didn’t enjoy the U12t. That is exactly why I am gravitating towards the Variations.

The MEST seems to be something, I could enjoy and may even be potentially my endgame. I would buy it, if I ever got the chance to try it without spending 1.5k$ and ending up liking it a lot. That is also the reason I didn’t even look into the Anole VX :smiley:

The major deterrent that keeps me from buying the Variations at this point, is the fact that I like the 7hz timeless so much.

5 Likes

Not something I ever expected to hear, but hey, Mest seems like your endgame for sure :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The thing about the Variations (and the Monarch MK1) is that it does Bass different than most other IEMs.

When other IEMs have a Frequency Response with a Bass Boost (be it V-Shaped, U-Shaped, Neutral with Bass Boost etc.) they usually boost the mid-bass and sub-bass. So the Bass shelf is present over the entirety of the bass band. This leads to a coherent and smooth bass presence no matter what kind of bass a track incorporates.

Therein lies a pitfall however. Mid-bass is usually more present in quantity overall when it comes to music compared to Sub-bass. One genre that usually incorporates a lot of sub-bass is electronic music. So it is much harder to tune a „proper“ or „tasteful“ amount of mid-bass compared to sub-bass. Have too much and you risk it bleeding into the midrange, coloring vocals and instruments present in the lower midrange, being too „boomy“ or „muddening“ the sound. Have too little and you risk missing proper Bass impact and feel, noteweight and proper sound of vocals and instruments in the lower midrange.

The Variations having a bass-boost pretty much exclusive to the sub-bass has two disadvantages; 1) some might miss the impact and quantity of mid-bass usually accompanied by a bass boost and 2) may feel like male vocals and lower midrange instruments lack body and/or presence. Now these two disadvantages are not that notable and/or significant to me, but they are there and my observations seem to align with the general consensus here.

Now to the advantages, and there are quite a few:

1. Sub-bass is excellent on the Variations; in impact, quantity, and quality. Bass Texture and detail are great, resolution all around incredible.

2. Mid-bass, while maybe lacking in quantity for some, still carries the excellent technicalities of the sub-bass.

3. Due to the kind of the bass boost being in the sub-bass, there is no bleed or coloration into the mid-bass. One of the reasons this set is so clean. Bass is very well separated while still sounding coherent in relation to the other frequencies.

…so yeah, in my opinion, the Bass on the Variations is both excellent and maybe not. The Sub-bass definitely is, and the mid-bass is either fine or lacking (in quantity) given your taste, library and HRTF.

Cheers :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

6 Likes