Nymzreviews.com official thread

There is also new budget softears hybrid looking quite nice for ~300$. Since RSV and RS10 is highly praised it is on my target potentially if they would keep up with the tuning.

5 Likes

I mean it is only ā€œbudgetā€ for idiots like me

1 Like

I tried final E tips on the bl-03 yesterday. The blon being my first iem set, I didnā€™t have the variety of types I have now. AAA anyway, this small stem bastards fit very well to the bl-03 nozzle. Regarding sound, it is comfortably warm. I listened to a bit of Motown stuff with it, and it was great. But Iā€™ll stand my position about nozzles, since Mele is better tuned to my tastes and way more easy to wear. :slightly_smiling_face:

Iā€™ll remember the combination, though, and definitely will try the flip tip trick with the starline tips that came with the zex pro/CRN on a bunch of iems I have: should be very interesting.

2 Likes

Files /Record > Eartips > DAC / DAP > Cable > Mood to listen to music before reading toxic comments :blush:

Sorry for the lack of feedback, but I went back to my hometown for my bday, so not much IEM usage.

I will post my first impressions on Titan S very soon and Iā€™ll use it as comparition vs Olina too, once I get the sample :pray:

7 Likes

birthday-baby

4 Likes

I think they already announced that volume will be a more fun tuning, aka V or U shape I guess.

And 300 is not budget for most people :stuck_out_tongue:

See my second comment above on this set being budget - I meant budget in Softears portfolio in general :crab:
It would be weird IEM though
It turned out it would have 5 Ohm of impedance, so that would make it no go for all my naked sources + it has really small nozzle hole diameter

1 Like

Im curious, but Iā€™d need to see a graph first before a dive :stuck_out_tongue:

But I love RSVā€¦

from their weibo, looks like the typical well-tuned set but with some worse treble extension? But since this area past 10k isnā€™t reliable itā€™s hard to guess.

Ohhhhā€¦ A baby RSV with a DD? :grimacing:

This may actually be insane!

1 Like

No need to apologize: you have a life too. And I didnā€™t think about you especially. :wink:

Having you test and compare titan S ans Olina is great news, though!!

Ok updates time, now that Iā€™m back to my regular life and home:

• Seems I might be getting a Volume review unit from Softears :fire: Hypeeee;

• But Iā€™m not expecting to get any set from any store or brand before mid February, due to CNY. Same will go for Olina, I guess;

• I just forgot for the second time I bought a Focal Elegia that might come in this weekeend, so thereā€™s that;

• @ttorbic is trying to find a way to get Alladin shipped to me this week;

• Iā€™m trying to get hold of an Oxygen and Moondrop Aria for the Titan S/Olina comparitions;

• Iā€™m keeping an eye on Midnight, but no promises yet;

• Birthday was good, thanks for all the wishes. I love you all.

Best,

nymz, the birthday girl
CEO of Tea House

14 Likes

Love the info on free sample from SE! It is worth to be influencer in the end! :slight_smile:

But on the other hand why Focal Elegia, why? According to my local forum it sucks as hell sound wise + QC wise from all people asked. I know since I wanted to buy it myself for 500$ for my closed back pair and it scares.me off

1 Like

Some buddie was selling it for a good price on the selling thread, so I jumped in. I have real no clue about it :stuck_out_tongue:

For your walletā€™s sake, I hope you donā€™t get into HPs :stuck_out_tongue: sky is the limit thereā€¦haha.

2 Likes

Im not much into getting samples. I take them on stuff that Iā€™m interested or brands that I believe in. Trust me, itā€™s no fun to have to write a long essay on things you donā€™t like :joy:

4 Likes

Sorry, did you say speakers? :upside_down_face:

I have no hopeā€¦

3 Likes

Dunu Titan S - First Impressions
ā€œThe smooth operatorā€

Dunuā€™s last entry in 2022 IEMā€™s market took some attention ever since its announcement: A single DD, cyberpunk themed IEM on the budget range that promised to rival some of the kingpins on it. But does it?

Disclaimer: This unit is a review unit sent to me by Dunu in exchange for a full review. No incentives were given to me and my words are my own. Thanks once again to Dunu for reaching out with this and being nothing but professional.

Non-sound characteristics

Starting with these, I will say right now they are excellent. Build feels amazing and, while being full metal, itā€™s still lightweight. The shell size is on the smaller side, giving it a very good fit, even though the nozzle is a bit longer than my canal like, but thatā€™s really a small personal nitpick. Iā€™ve been using them as my EDC with Qudelix5k for the past days and they fulfill the job with high marks - A truly easy to carry around, just grab and go style like every IEM should be, but a lot arenā€™t. Itā€™s easy to drive ability also suits a simple dongle just fine.

Another thing to note itā€™s its full package: Tips for every liking and a nice carrying pouch that could be smaller, but good to fit Titan S + a BT amp or dongle inside and just throw it in the bag or coatā€™s pocket. Dunu keeps the track record for its package quality, even on lower budgets.

Two small cons I would like to note are the isolation, that is below average, and the cable tangliness due to its slim thickness.

Tuning

These feel pretty neutral bright to me, with just a touch of bass to give some presence, but not the acting as the main course. Pinna gain has more elevation than I would like, but not enough for me to not enjoy them.

Bass

Example tracks: Kendrick - Backseat Freestyle/Collard Greens, Zimmer - Why So Serious, BeyoncƩ - Deja vu (intro)

Itā€™s a mid-bass focused signature over sub-bass. Low elevation or presence, but good texture and control - feels somewhat fast and tight, while still retaining some of that sweet decay. Itā€™s a sleeper and only comes out when called. Thereā€™s a slight warmth added just to not feel too thin, but absolutely no bleed. Clean is the word.

Mids/Vocals

Example tracks: EWF - September, Hania Rani - Glass, Nils Frahm - All Melody, Pentatonix - Daft Punk, Lorde - Buzzcut Season, Agnes Obel - The Curse, Michael BublƩ - Feeling Good, Ursine Vulpine - Wicked Game.

Slightly southier than my personal preferences, but that might not be a problem for most people or different libraries. Mids have some separation and detail, above average for its price point.

Even though this is slightly more southier than I would like, I still think the mids are the strongest link in this IEMā€™s tuning - I really like them for the asking price!

Treble

Example tracks: Daft Punk - Aerodynamic, Larnell Lewis - Change Your Mind, Yo-Yo Ma - ā€œThe Good, the Bad and the Uglyā€, Kid Cudi - Too Bad I have to Destroy you now, Twice - Moonlight.

Treble is good. No complaints, really. Cymbals, guitars and cello sound great. Thereā€™s also no metallic treble up there so, again, a smooth operator. Air is good and Iā€™ve never felt claustrophobic.

Technicalities

• Timbre: Very good. Not just good but also consistent, from top to bottom - no upper treble metallic shrillness whatsoever, suiting it for some instrumental music just fine.

• Stage: This was the aspect that called my attention the most on the first takes. Lacks some depth, as usual per these budget brackets, but width is good. There seems to be some air on it, as if the vent was giving the unit a semi-open style. Also seems that sometimes you can get something that I would call a semi-holographic and dynamic left to right sound, but not always. Itā€™s surely not your cookie-cutter left/right stage around this price, but itā€™s also far from higher end stages. Still good to me and intriguing. Need more testing.

• Imaging: Good. Above average for this price point. No complaints here.

• Detail: Details are average - Expected for this price bracket. Nothing will sound lacking or missing, but it wonā€™t be as resolving as other more expensive iems or IEMs with more detailed oriented driver setups. Treble elevation also helps a lot with the overall clarity.

Comparitions (Couple minutes each - WIP for final review)

• Etymotic ER2XR - The 100usd gatekeeper is still going strong and better than Titan S to my library and preferences on SQ alone. But if you factor in fit, no microphonics cable, stage and price (unless you are in the US), Titan S will appeal more to most people.

• Heart Mirror - Titan S is a better monitor in almost every aspect and a nice upgrade over Heart Mirror since itā€™s easier to drive, less hot and more prominent bass. Still needs more testing on these tho.

• GS Audio ST1 - Titan S is better in any aspect.

Conclusions

I would describe Dunuā€™s latest release to a point and in my opinion, a smooth operator: it doesnā€™t excel on anything specifically but also does nothing wrong. I donā€™t think that a bad thing, as Iā€™ve heard IEMs that excel at something but then plan murder some other aspect.

It gets my rec and is now my default rec for people looking for a more neutral IEM under 100$ (RIP Heart Mirror). I want to remind people that this type of tunings arenā€™t abundant on this hobby, let alone on the budget side - which was always a problem for me since I donā€™t enjoy V-Shaped IEM or ultra-bass boosted stuff.

At this point thereā€™s a big elephant in the room that everyone wants to go away but they didnā€™t even know how it got there: CCA CRA that costs 15$ and throws punches at 100 usd monitors. Luckily to Titan S, people looking for one shouldnā€™t be looking for the other, and vice-versa, making them more complimentary than rivals.

Given that, think about it: For 100$ you can buy CRA and Titan S and have some excellent bases covered, together with some cheap amp or dongle, giving users higher quality audio for cheap.

I would also like to point out that for more acoustic tracks and classical, this has been giving me a lot of joy and I think timbreheads will enjoy it as well. I will explore this more in detail as other aspects on my final review that should be out soon.

Approved. Value rating: 4.5/5

19 Likes

Iā€˜m sorry to say that itā€˜ll probably take a few weeks for that to come out.

Iā€˜m currently dealing with a possible breakup and do not have the time/mental capacity for audio stuff right now. Dealing with a lot currently.

Just wanted to let you all know. Again, Iā€˜m sorry. Iā€˜ll also be lurking here for the time being and not active.

6 Likes