Ok what Audiophile words or phrases piss you off?

Yeah that’s what I was thinking. By just saying cancelling, they technically aren’t lying. They are just not specifying whether its active or passive.

IIRC this works similar to Chromesthesia where parts of the brain that are normaly unconnected have some form of “crosstalk” between them.

you made me think of this Bizzle…

2 Likes

my pet peeve is people not using correct terms for headphones, IEM’s and earbuds.

1 Like

“can’t wait to try these speakers/headphones with (insert overpriced cable manufacturer here)”

3 Likes

To not derail that other thread more:

For that money, you can get 4 strand multimode fiber, half a mile of it!
4x 400Gbit Ethernet (not counting the transcievers) VS a piece of snake oil…

1 Like

Lol that cable is such a great deal I should create a motion to switch all of our datacenters at work from fiber to those cables, as it clearly would make more sense to go back to rj45 cat 6, clearly will improve our noise preformance

1 Like

I think we hit the peak of sensible in this thread around the tasting of colours conversation. At least there was more science behind that than charging this much for CAT cables.

2 Likes

Like Zeos, I won’t say “bass slam”. Bass can’t slam… it’s bass. Bass drum, maybe? But in electronic music there are bass notes, and, well, kicks.

So that would be bass drum slam for “real” drums and kick slam for electronic music :no_mouth: uh.

So, does bass impact work?

Uh, maybe. But bass only “impacts” when it’s a kick anyway – I just… wouldn’t want people to think planars slam your ears with bass notes. I mean, no one would want that, lol.

Except kids in honda civics, maybe…

Also, “HD58X has grain”. :stuck_out_tongue:
Nothing against metal571, but it’s definitely not a popular opinion here.

1 Like

Sorry to have to break the news, but Jonathan Park alias Resolve Reviews just provided us with the authoritative definition of bass slam. For those who can’t afford an LCD, it’s the bass of the Fostex TR X00 Ebony. Surely no one could possibly disagree with double R, so presumably the matter is settled. LOL.

Never having heard any of the above I don’t know where the DT 1990 fits in. But I find its bass to have a quality that brings the word resonant to mind. Is there any similarity between this and good planar bass?

The 1990 has pretty good dynamic bass, but not on the level of something like a tr-x00 purpleheart or other fostex biodyna. The 1990 is definitely up there for bass quality and quantity though, it can produce very satisfactory bass. Not like planar bass because that’s a bit different though, but that doesn’t mean it’s worse or anything

The common trope is that a properly set-up sub-woofer disappears and makes it sound as though the woofer extends lower down. I find the 1990 bass, while enjoyable, to call attention to itself to a slight degree as having a different presentation than the rest of the frequency range. Does planar bass do that too?

Of course, I’m talking about something other than sheer loudness. I’m assuming appropriate loudness in all cases.

Well I mean planars can do that sometimes depending on the tuning as well. I think the reason you can tell the separation between the ranges is because of the way beyer designed the 1990 for studio usage so it’s easy to work on a certain range and have easily definable ranges of sound. Sometimes this can be helpful, other times not lol.

Typically when I hear the phrase “planar bass” I think of a mostly linear bass response, great layering and detail in the bass, pretty fast impact with quick decay, and a somewhat less natural timbre. It depends on the headphones for if it actually all cleanly integrates or is clearly separated from the mid-range

1 Like

For me anytime anyone brings up expensive digital cables usb or toslink.

Clearly you need a GOLD PLATED TOSLINK CONNECTOR.

1 Like

First 5 star review:
what…?

3 Likes

Clearly you are not familiar with VoS (Video over SPDIF)