Ok what Audiophile words or phrases piss you off?

Also correct me if I’m wrong, but can’t S/PDIF only handle up to compressed 5.1? Even if it could handle 7.1, it would be lossy audio and the receiver would have to be doing some matrixing with some strange tomfoolery?

1 Like

Undoubtedly. LSD is supposed to break down the biochemical barriers to that “crosstalk” that permanent synesthetes have all the time.

As I understand it, permanent synethesia is extremely rare. I have a feeling that Jimi was just tripping.

1 Like

Could be that Zeos has not experienced “slam”?
For what the local guys talk is that you need big drivers on your speakers and power, alot.
Zeos usually has(likes?) small drivers on his speakers. No subs.

One definition was: “loosely defined term “bass slam” that would be (perhaps ~ 0 to +3 dB) mid to upper bass frequency response area (~150 to 250 Hz), relative to the rest of the frequency response spectrum.”

Though the “punch in the chest” is much lower like in the ~65-70Hz region…ish.
People say that there are plenty of songs that have “slam”. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Lol with proper subs you can really get that slam lol. Can punch you in the chest under the 60hz region. I typically think of slam and impact in the lower more subbass range. I guess a good speaker to try without subs if you want that more typical bass impact is something like Cornwall IV’s or some large pa speakers

Headphones don’t necessarily recreate that physical impact to your body, but they can still make a decent amount of power to give the illusion of slam

When I listen to Donovan’s Mellow Yellow I can defo taste custard :+1:

2 Likes

Time to create another topic.

1 Like

Most times that’s 2 different ranges people talk about. You missed the point again.
At least imo if subs take ~150 to 250 Hz range they are tuned to high. You can easy play range with good mids.
Depends ofc what is the “slam” people talk and mix all together.

Yeah I get that there are two opinions, just voicing what I typically think of lol

Yeah really for music depending on the system imo a crossover around 80hz or below is more appropriate, as I agree that really most subs above 100 are bit high unless your system really needs it

esoteric.
20 chars…

1 Like

[quote=“FBizzle, post:66, topic:6120”]

When I listen to Donovan’s Mellow Yellow I can defo taste custard :+1:

Time to create another topic.

lol

1 Like

Frankly it’s not really a term or phrase that bugs me so much as the general attitude I sometimes see with the higher end crowd of rich audiophiles. This general sense of absolute unawareness of how ridiculous a million dollar speaker set up sounds in paper.

And the general lack of interest in non ‘audiophile’ music bothers me. I caught snippets of zeos’ live stream at the DC audio fest yesterday and not once did I hear modern rock pop hip hop or rap at the various set ups he visited.

Well I mean he has his tastes, but I don’t think he’s anything close to a music snob lol

Oh sorry, I meant the live stream where he went to an audio fest in DC yesterday.
I was talking about what the people running the various rooms were playing
Clarified the above comment just to be safe

Ahhhh yeah at shows good luck finding anything close to what most people listen to. But they do want to emphasize their systems more then the music sooooo (and you can bring your own stuff sometimes too)

Lol come with a dap filled with a playlist of songs picked to stress a system as much as possible.
Hans zimmers mountains
Angel Olsens Lark
Etc

Just find the lowest quality stuff you can find and play it off of the most expensive dap you have. Just watch the look on their faces

3 Likes

Lol 20 dollar passive speakers powered through the 3.5 mm jack on some 4000 dollar astel and kern dap and playing sound cloud noise rock mp3s

KSC75’s or KPH30i’s baby! PortaPro’s are too expensive to run on a $4K DAP…

Yeah but those sound halfway decent to pretty good.
You need something real crappy and cheap and then play it in front of them why not breaking eye contact
AC_UL200_SR200%2C200

2 Likes

what the heck izzit?