Oluv DAC/AMP comparison and results

SBAF has a bunch of different measurements of both amps if you are interested.
There is nothing that I would consider a significant difference in the measurements, no one is going to hear a -115dB spike in the 2nd harmonic of either amp.
But that’s more an indication of the limitations of measurements than anything.
The topologies are very different and the Jot doesn’t sound like the 789 (which I have heard), though I’ll admit they sound more similar than different, I’m confident I could call which is which in a blind test.

1 Like

I have been honestly very curious to hear the Jot myself. It’s on the list of things to try at some point. I had the Lyr at one point and I did like the sound of it paired with the LCD 2 original after a tube swap. It was my favorite pairing with that headphone. I’d be curious to see how the solid state higher up schiit stuff sounds.

Frankly if I owned the THX I wouldn’t buy a Jot.
I do think I prefer the Jot, but as I said they sound more similar than different.
I think you would be looking much higher up cost wise than either for a much better sounding SS amp.
I haven’t heard any of the Schiit Valve or hybrid amps.
I’ll probably be looking for an upgrade from my ZDT jr in the new year as well.

Yeah, I can see that. It would be more a curiosity thing for me more than anything. I actually have the Rupert Neve RNHP out for delivery to compare to the THX amps… as I’m curious to see how the sound compares. I don’t expect anything substancial overall.

1 Like

Curious to see your thoughts lolol

1 Like

FFFFffff… i just got it… I’m honestly a bit surprised… I’m both happy and annoyed…
Happy because the audible differences are pretty noticeable even volume matching it with the SP200… annoyed because this whole being perfectly happy with just a THX amp just got more complicated. :sob::sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Andddddd are those differences positive or negative?

1 Like

It’s very positive. Extremely positive. I’m returning the SP200 After today… and I’m not sure I’ll bother keeping the 887 either… as I don’t have anything super hard to drive on me right now.

Like all that talk about balance vs unbalance… I couldn’t hear a difference… MAYBE I could… but not really… but THIS is a definite improvement.

3 Likes

Let this be known then, thx is not the end of the road, there is better out there lol. It’s just something you have to try to see for yourself :+1:

1 Like

Does it improve the clears for you? I use a rnhp as my studio amp actually and it works really well with the clear

The rnhp is actually accurate in my mind, a good example of proper transparency for the price

1 Like

IMO, the biggest most obvious change is the extension in both the treble and bass region. It sounds comparatively restricted on the SP200… like it’s hitting a wall in both regions… where as on the RNHP it just opens up a pretty noticeable amount.
I’ve literally had it for less than an hour though… But the difference is definitely apparant, I don’t think it would take much to convince someone the RNHP is worth the extra cost over the SP200 or similar THX with something like the Clears. I DO wonder how the differences would fair with lower tier headphones though./

1 Like

I think it depends on the headphones imo. Actually the 880 600 ohm runs pretty well on it, along with planars which has confused me because it’s actual power output is crazy low lol

1 Like

My test to see if an amp has enough power for me is my digital copy of Ghost in the Shell remastered anime version… not live action) movie I have purchased on youtube… for WHATEVER reason… that movie has dumb low volume output. So if it gets loud enough with that… it’s enough. With the Clears, I can max it out and it sounds good, plenty loud, but I would imagine it might feel a bit restrictive on content like that. It really is an extreme case though… It’s probably powerful enough for most content and most headphones.

And I’m using the Balanced input… according to a youtube comment by Rupert Neve himself… it’s better to use the C input if you want a good amount more volume.

1 Like

I think that might be true, but I never bothered using input c

I think c might be boosted to accommodate a phone or PC output for example

1 Like

He said something along the lines of the C input having a +14db gain.

1 Like

Damn lol I didn’t know he was pushing it that much, now I’m curious

1 Like

1 Like

Dang yeah ok it does have more gain on my unit for sure, I knew the 3.5 in was boosted a bit, but I didn’t know it would be that boosted

Also I may have the rnhp plugged into a Lavry Quintessence and a Crane Song HEDD Quantom atm lol

1 Like

Fancy studio Dacs I assume?

1 Like

Man… this makes me feel like maybe saving up and investing in the Rupert Neve Dac/Amp might actually be worth it… Long term goal I suppose…

1 Like