Photography (advice, tips&tricks or simply to show off your photoskills with/without audio gear)

Contrast looks a bit too much? Like, its too colorful to be real? (especially the first 2 pics.)

could very well be, i just hit the auto button in the app on my phone, just a quick and dirty

Proud of this one for a few reasons… :slight_smile:

5 Likes

damn that looks pro af, was it 2 lights and a white box? or just like that

Thank you very much. Showing the original photo should give away its secrets.

3 Likes

Alright wow, how did you make it that bright though? Just lighting or did you edit it after?

1 Like

It’s all photo retouching in Photoshop.

2 Likes

For taking photos somewhat quickly to post on the forums, but still have them look reasonably nice, I usually use one of these, with the flash head pointed all the way left/right, and often angled up towards the ceiling:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1348948-REG/godox_v860ii_f_olympus_kit_v860ii_for_olympus_kit.html

It’s no softbox, and it does mean you need a more DSLR-style camera that can sync with a flash, but it also means I can take a photo like this just on the floor of my living room with no other lighting setup:

…which for reference, really isn’t too far off from the unedited photo, so most of the work really is being done by the flash:

Anyway, yeah, flashes/strobes (especially ones that can be used off-camera) are great! If you want to do photography, I’d say it’s like the first thing you should buy after buying your camera.

I’ll probably try to take something a bit more setup-y and product-y with the Eikon at some point, it’s such a beautiful headphone.

(EDIT: Also linking the thread where I’d initially posted this photo.)

3 Likes

Actually there is a trigger that syncs with phones the Godox A1
However i wouldn’t recommend for most folks flash, a continuous light would be way better in so many ways, i can also be used for other things other than photography

1 Like

For a cheap continuous light solution around the same price, you could go with an Aputure F7 and bounce it off of a board/reflector, but I don’t really agree that it would be “way better.” It’s different! Different amount of light, different style of setup and tweaking, it depends on what you need!

For novice users, a continuous light is way better, for a photographer its a matter of choice. the learning curve is much higher and the barrier to entry (owning a camera + a flash + a wireless trigger).

its something that you build up to since flash can give you a lot more options in certain things but its not something i recommend for someone who just wants to “show off” their audio gear. also a continuous light can be useful around the house

1 Like

Funky Pic of me…

2 Likes

The mog eye…or if you crop real tight, the eye of Sauron.

And from the close to the far.

8 Likes

I just discovered this thread, I love it! You guys kill it for sure!

I’ve never taken any photos of my IEMs but, I was a professional photog for years before my current sales job. Here’s my favorite from my last shoot!

3 Likes

So fancied to try some experimental photography, I don’t have an indoor setup at all and only have my kit lens on my camera which isnt exactly the best but was just having fun trying alsorts of different things and gave this ago and the result was stunning.

In a pitchblack room, literally only using my phone torch as a light, I have done this.

ISO-100 F/5 0.8s exposure time at 34mm
Imgur

Literally could not be happier what a stunning photo of my Moondrop Starfields!!!
:fire: :fire: :fire:

2 Likes

Overall looks great, i like that you got the color and sparkle right, I love my starfield they dont get a lot of use just because they are so delicate

Two things i’d suggest to improve for next time

1. Background - while the uniform background is good its also very “Flat” in most cases you want something that would give the picture a little depth and support the subject - maybe have some small light source way in the back

2. positioning - having the IEMs mirrored is a little “dull”, giving either one a bit more of an angle adds a bit of intrest

But having said that its very will done and you should be very proud :smiley:

A few more General tips to make your life a little easier for next time

• Go Long - in most cases you want to shoot with the longest focal length you can shooting at 34mm is a little too wide and might distort the proportions, shooting with longer focal length will give you better separation and better proportions, and will let you get in closer in most cases (looks like you had to crop quite a bit). Though its improtant to note that shooting wide is a style choice and If you perefer it like that go for it.

• Lights, Action! - if you want to make your life a little easier you can get a small IKEA led lamp, its very flexible and easy to manipulate

• Up close and personal - a very inexpensive but good way to get a macro shot is using extension tubes , basiclly its something that sits between you camera body and the lens making you able to focus at very range. They cost 20-40$ normally (just get the one without Auto focus - really no need for it when shooting inanimate objects)

P.S you have a bit of banding in the darks (im assuming you tried to open up the darker parts of the image )

2 Likes

Can easily happen with JPEGs.
I have some test-images somewhere to compare JPEG vs PNG vs TIFF vs SVG. Can post later.

1 Like

Very possible though it looks to me like more like opening up shadows

2 Likes

Hey thanks for the fab feedback. The background was just makeshift out of the starfields box hahah, Yup a proper light I could angle would be wayyyy easier.

As for the focal lenth that was as close as I could get to keep im focus. It doesnt have a very good min focus distance. As I ran out of desk space too, would of loved to run it at 50mm.

The banding your talking about could very well be the JPG as the RAW doesnt have the issues or what you are describing. I did have to crop it quite abit bexause of that haha.

As for mirroring the IEM’s would be a great idea that I didnt think about lastnight haha, was just messing about seeing what I could achieve with what I have.

Think I forgot to post im using an Sony A6000 with the kit lens 15mm/50mm. Was very proud of how well it capured the sparkle and you can literally see the pigments in it looks amazing.

Really appriciate the feedback as you will see things I won’t, thanks so much :slight_smile:

As for the delicacy of them Im sure im the only one in the world who has good paint on them :rofl::rofl::rofl: had 0 issues and have dropped them more times than I would like to admit. Owned them for around 8months now too :slight_smile:

oh wow!

I bought these 2 to make that.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001305362249.html