Planar, tight & punchy bass < 500$

DT990 owner here

why don’t you come on up to my place on Mt.Treble
:cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

Motu M2 has a dedicated DAC & amp for the headphone output.

saw that too… but it seems to be different depending who is measuring lol.
Rtings: Sundara better subbass extension
Crinacle: HE400i 2020 better subbass extension

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I was going by Crin’s measurement so that makes sense then :stuck_out_tongue:. If you’re looking at Crinacle’s measurement, you can choose between the 2020 and 2014 version. The 2014 is below the Sundara and the 2020 above if I see this correctly.

EDIT:
Rtings review is from 2018, so that won’t be the 2020 version.

well there goes my street cred

I would tell you not to trust rtings but what the fuck do I know

leaving for the 5th time now, this time for good!
:joy:

Interface - ADC, DAC, and some other features, in a single box

While voltage will make go, you could substitute voltage for current to keep power at the same level.

Considering the first and last 5% of travel (depending on potentiometer quality) are undesirable to use for mechanical/electrical reasons, nothing wrong with running half way open throttle :wink:

Seal on the pad and amplifier used (= power available) are a big factor with some headphones.

Damit!
He had the right idea, just that he was kinda off on that particular device.

sry he just left…

@MazeFrame you can’t just come in here and talk smart, leave a recommendation :kissing_heart:

damn i hope people won’t take me too serious

last edit: I’ve looked at the Monolith M570, which look sooo much better than the M1060C…
These good for Bass?

My audio experience is limited to 100 to 250€ equipment in the home space. To an extend I also know my ways around PA-equipment (like DBX drive racks, console mixers, power stages, etc.)
(And the components inside either of the two)

Back to topic:
I have the “baby planar” that is the Fostex T50RP with Shure HPAEC1540 pads and AKG K270/271 foam disks. I can tell you that from an Emotiva BasX A-100 or LakePeople G103-S (preferably this one) it does faster bass than my other headphones (all dynamic). The problem is the treble is a bit too spicy (helped by the foam disks).
They are not what you are looking for.

Ah yeah… I had the chance to pick up a pair of second hand T50RP with already modded 1540 pads for a bargain. But buying second hand i didn’t wanna gamble with maybe maybe fatiguing treble.

Monoprice M570, M1060C, M1070, Sundara, Audeze LCD-1
Tightest Bass?

hmm

I own the 570 and 1070. I was going to decide which one i liked more after seeing the great reviews about the aiva and the 570 being identical yadayada yada. I honestly really like them both and decided to just keep both of them lol. I think the 1070 sounds better overall, think it had a tad more bass, wider soundstage and not quite as piercing highs-They are both great though and i have been switching between them. I really like them both tho compared to my HD6xx or He4xx they are both significant improvements imo.

M1070… maybe? it’s within the budget and easier to get than M570 for me.

Balance mod that 990 and that treble is solved

No.
That is my anti theft feature.
Walking around with balanced DT990’s is like walking around with $150 hanging out of your pockets.
:joy:

Judging by Zeos M570 sound review (was listening on Fiio FH3), they do provide pretty good bass.
Better than I expected tbh. And I wasn’t looking for Basscannons - don’t think you need huge bass for tight kickdrums either.

If only these were easier to get in europe…

I want to love these already, simply coz they look damn good lol…

I agree with this. Was a very weird headphone and not very enjoyable.

1 Like

Nothing against Zwo’s Soundrewievs.
They can be deceptive.
I don’t know why, when I listened to the Hifiman He4xx back then I thought oh wow it sounds great.
I ordered and received it and when I put it on it was totally disappointing.

It sounded much too muffled.Surely something would have gone with a padswap but that’s not the point.And of course everything is subjective again.

I have heard that Youtube uses a different audio output format than others.
That could explain the possible falsification.
I had the same game with the Audeze Lcd 2c. It sounded even better in reality than in Zeo’s video.

So it’s really weird, hence the cautious warning.

Yeah I’m aware. However, comparing soundreviews with original tracks can give you a glimpse of what a headphone can do. These don’t seem to be super bass light. And that’s basically all I wanted to check.

:loud_sound::dollar: for :loud_sound::dollar: that would be a DD especially for those genres.

Any dynamic headphone you’d recommend?
I’m just so curious about planar drivers, but if consensus is that dynamic drivers are superior in that region…

Might be safer to buy the second hand Sivga Phoenix for 180€ around the corner in my town… lol.

at the risk of being stupid again, no, you want planars

“So in summary, headphones with planar magnetic transducers often sound tighter, more controlled, and have better extension capabilities with less distortion for bass than dynamic drivers. There’s a unique ‘plucked’ quality to the way tones come across, and in general, planar magnetic headphones are better at instrument separation and distinction. Modern high end dynamic driver headphones by contrast often have a bit better ‘punch’ or ‘slam’, even if they don’t have as good image clarity and distinction capabilities (although often still quite good).”

yeah he want’s planars not boom boom

1 Like

here ya go bud a rting article on headphones that isn’t dogshit

Interesting thread…

For reference, in this range of planars, I’ve owned M570, M1070, LCD-1, LCD-2F (if you find a deal used), Aeon Open X, and HE-4XX

If tight, punchy, fast, and detailed are the criteria, you get different recommendations depending on the quantity you want. If you don’t care about quantity, things like Sendy (and clones) or Sundara might be passable. Planar vs Dynamic is not an easy call, but Planar does have a tendency toward some of those characteristics. Punchy (impact) is not always one of those characteristics, though, and might be more characteristically associated with dynamics. For thicker, richer bass response, something like M1070, LCD-2 or 2Classic (if you find one in budget used), Aeon (Drop X versions or RT), are a few options in your budget range.

Driveability on the Motu would probably favor things like Sendy Clones or LCD-1, as Maze mentioned, planars tend to favor current over voltage. Of those, the Sendy clones (M570 is my reference) are neutral bright and some may find bass quantity on the light side, but it’s pretty good quality. The LCD-1, I do find a little more punchy, perhaps a bit more dynamic, but also more balanced and overall a bit ‘better’ than the M570 for my preferences sonically, but I really do like how the M570 looks…

3 Likes

I tried the m570 and bass is definitely decent, however it has a sub bass roll off. It sounded decently punchy, tight, and really fast. I ended up EQing the bass/sub bass and it sounded amazingly good after that. If your looking for bass, the Cloud Orbit S (basically a wired audeze mobius) is a closed back planar magnetic headphone that has nice bass especially if you use its warm sound profiles. I did a review of these headphones here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rfm-EwX7xOE&t=36s