Planar, tight & punchy bass < 500$

1 Like

Thanks for all the replies.
I am indeed not looking for a huge amount of bass - just quality.
And when it comes to subbass: I want it to be present, but it doesn’t have to be “big”.
A slight rolloff would not be a dealbreaker as long as the subbass is still there.

Great input - I am leaning towards the M570 right now - sadly those are very hard to come by in europe.
I’ve seen quite some reviews & comments that give the impression, the M570 might be more what I’m looking for. Actually a bit contrary to your experience with the LCD-1 versus M570.

The M1070 are available to me. With the LCD-1 being more expensive & the M570 being just 40$ cheaper if I can somehow get them.
Just the question if the Motu M2 could drive them properly…lol

The most important part: all those look hot :heart_eyes:

Let’s think about this for a second. You’re listening via your system (which has its own colorations) to someone else’s system (which has its own colorations) via a recording they made with equipment (that has its own colorations) in a room that has MASSIVE colorations, on a platform that has sub optimal fidelity.

Not to be a dick but YT sound demos are about the most useless and inaccurate way to audition the sound of anything.

2 Likes

to put this back into context: i am very well aware of that
…however, a soundsample under these conditions can still tell you if subbass is present or absolutely not there.

Only if the Mic in use can capture it, and the encoding/compression process doesn’t remove it.

1 Like

Right, to get back to the M570… subbass was there and I don’t think it was added later on.
Which was all I wanted to check.

Take a look to Monoprice.eu for the Monolith M1060.
Another phone who are really not bad is the Quad Era maybe a little bit expensiver.
But i have somerime for 500€ in Germany.

The Good things must imported mostly but whorth it.

@A_Jedi I see it too,i find Youtube is not a good Plattform for Sounding Gear.
Maybe is better to record the Tracks and can Downloaded somewhere and heard it on the own Systems wirh a Player to hear difference.
But in the End the true comes when the Postman comes and heard it you own.This are the True „magic“moments :grin:.

Depends on the room modes. If the mic is located in a null, it will pick up zero bass. If it’s at a peak, it will make it sound like more than there actually is.

okay, thanks for your insights

1 Like

…however, a soundsample under these conditions can still tell you if subbass is present or absolutely not there.

I couldn’t hear the subbass when listening to the sound demo with my KSC75’s, ergo the headphones in the sound demo lacks subbass.

what the heck… context… matters…
Don’t just come in here to troll please…

Touchy, touchy. I believe sound demos are next to worthless unless they are comparing one headphone against another in the same sound demo. One can hear how they differ in a relative sense, but the sound demo is always going to be colored and limited by the transducer (and any audio compression) on the listener’s side.

I’m not touchy at all, you just completely failed to realize why and how I was listening to that particular sounddemo…

Immediately accusing others of being a troll when taking the logic of your methodology to its predictable end is probably going to qualify you as being touchy and overly sensitive. There’s too many factors and equipment in the signal path from Zeo’s setup to your ears to make a reasonable conclusion on the sound and technical qualities of the single headphone shown and used in the sound demo. If you cannot really see that, then I wish you best of luck in your future purchasing decisions in this hobby.

So - if I say that I could hear that subbass was present in the sounddemo (and this was literally all I wanted to get out of it)… would you argue that the subbass might not be there? And my headphone just magically added that and made a 1 out of a 0?

Your transducers have a slightly clockwise tilt and is overly accentuated in the subbass region. I wouldn’t be surprised if you can hear subbass from an HD600 (it is “barely” there due to its 15dB roll off) sounddemo with your transducers. And no, your iems are not digital, they are still analog, so they cannot add or alter binary code per your suggestion. They still require a DAC source.

You are aware that I compared to the original track?
And the metaphor I used was just that… a metaphor.

And again… like I already said: the subbass was there - I didn’t care for the amount.

And again… like I already said: the subbass was there - I didn’t care for the amount.

This circles back to my opinion of the utility, or rather the lack thereof, of sound demos. You are colored by the transducer that you choose to use. If I use a KSC75, I could come to the conclusion that the cans in the sound demo lack sub bass. If use my Audeze LCD-2 prefazors, I can come to the conclusion that the cans in the sound demo lack treble from 1-4 kHz. If I try to compare it to a local file, is my player and the youtube player volume matched by to 1dB to each other, etc.?

When I was listening to his HD600 sound demo with my TH-X00 ebonies just now, my god the subbass is there! When I listen to it with my HE-6, the bass is tight, precise, and slamming! And when I use my HD600 to listen to those tracks locally, eh not so much (still love my HD600’s though).

But no headphone, DAC or AMP can add subbass if there is no subbass to begin with.
Can we atleast agree on that? If there’s no information below 50Hz, even the Fiio FH3 won’t add that information.

If there’s no information below 50Hz, even the Fiio FH3 won’t add that information.

Theoretically true. Back to reality, please find me an in-production headphone that does not have any information below 50Hz.

Even the super bass-light HD414 from way back when actually measured some subbass. Damned if there was any when I take my pair out of the closet and listen to them.

^^ old flat-plate coupler measurement rig…