šŸ”· Qudelix-5K

I didnā€™t hear the Go blu yet. The thing with ifi and the bass boost is that it is always a little bit different. Like the TrueBass on the zen dac is stronger than the one from the zen can.
I had the xCan for a while, mostly used with Hifiman Ananda. xBass was on all time. It is a 12dB boost that doesnā€™t go into the mids.

Black= normal
Blue=xBass

Almost a must have for open backs that always roll of in the sub bass. With IEMs and closed backs that often already have a harman like bass shelf it could be too much.

Qudelix-5K is a good portable Amp/Dac

Hummā€¦ For me yesā€¦ But they both the same
( balanced)

Just different sizeā€¦ 2.5mm, and 4.4mmā€¦

No, you shouldnā€™tā€¦ But I wouldnā€™t buy UP5ā€¦

I think you might want to watch this video

2 Likes

For some reason you canā€™ t find either the Qudelix 5K ( or the Fiio BTR5 ) on Amazon right, which of course means the prices are skyrocketing ( both are well over $200 right now ).

1 Like

looks like Amazon arenā€™t getting restocked until the end of November. You have to order direct from qudelix if you want it sooner. Just ordered one last night and Fedex already has possession of it in Korea. I took the opportunity to grab the dual driver iems since I was already getting it direct, too.

1 Like

I think this is another thing we can blame on MQA.

( This is where I need to insert a Zeos rant about MQA )

Apparently there is a new version of the BTR5 coming with MQA and they are going up another $20. When they let the current inventory run out, it caused a run on the Qudelix 5K, and here we are.

3 Likes

Iā€™m not sure we can blame it solely on MQA since qudelix did switch chips since they could no longer source the ES9218.

Recently, ESS discontinued ES9218, and now, weā€™re no longer able to source the part.
Consequently, we will use ES9219, pin-to-pin compatible with ES9218, from the next production lot.
Both ES9218 and ES9219 are technically the same in terms of output power and power consumption.
It means just a single part replacement, not a model change.

Weā€™re going to release the Qudelix Chrome Extension app for Windows/macOS.
The Chrome Extension app works with Qudelix-5K over PC USB.

Iā€™ve been seriously impressed with the amount of features theyā€™ve added since the 5K launched last year.

5 Likes

Interesting the the BTR5 also moved from the ES9218S to the ES9219C

The MQA thing is really dumb, since you canā€™t do it over Bluetooth, but you have to pay for it either way.

1 Like

Yesterday the Qudelix 5K I bought in New condition from the seller ā€œQudelixā€ on Amazon US arrived, but it was clearly used. The warranty section of the app lists 283 days remaining, but I only bought it 6 days ago. It seems like someone may have originally bought it 82 days ago and returned it. The battery graph also shows previous usage and charging, and the tape holding the box closed was already cut.

tell them to send you another one and youā€™ll keep the mistake they sent you and you wont tell anyone about their sheisty business tactics lol.

2 Likes

This happens so often on Amazon for whatever reason. Stuff gets repacked and sold as new, when itā€™s clearly not. Good thing is Amazon has a pretty robust return policy.

2 Likes

A quick review here on the qudelix 5k after a few days of ownership and use.

I ordered it and the QX iems directly form qudelix in Korea late night 11/1 US time and it was on my doorstep 11/5, so theyā€™re quite fast if you decide not to wait until they restock Amazon.

Setup was a breeze, couldnā€™t have been easier. Only issue I found is that the app requires Android 8 and up so you canā€™t use an older phone to control the app. The desktop Chrome app was seamless on Windows 10, but didnā€™t function on Linux. Linux Fix Can Be Found Here

Usage tested: Mobile and Linux desktop DAC. Iā€™ve been using it both on the go by itself and then plugging it in to a secondary PC as a DAC feeding a JDS Labs Atom. So far it has performed flawlessly in both use cases. Range was impressive with the only interruptions being through multiple walls at a distance in my use so far.

UI: This is where I believe the 5k shines, the UI is coherent and more importantly consistent. Bottom row in the app switches between the various functions and brings up a top row in the app with sub functions within that group. Adding in EQ settings was particularly simple. Just input the numbers and it shows a graph with the changes, which I found particularly nice when importing Oratory1990 presets as you could compare it with one of his graphs to ensure you are correctly inputting the settings. I do look forward to being able to easily add EQ settings via PC as the Chrome app matures.

Buttons have a nice tactile click and a notch at the top of one helps me to differentiate between the two blindly. Iā€™m still checking the app to remind myself of functions occasionally, but that will go away with more use.

I canā€™t speak to how much power it puts out with any authority, but Iā€™m currently listening to a pair of EQed DT770 80 ohm phones via the unbalanced 3.5mm and it can be driven to earsplitting levels off of the high gain setting.

If qudelix ever leverages their experience with this into a well implemented desktop device, it would be a winner. The RME ADI-2 needs some competition.

2 Likes

Chrome app now has EQ functionality.

2 Likes

Still really wanting to get one. Iā€™m always minutes late whenever one is second hand, and donā€™t quite have the budget for the full price. I have an Amazon gift card atm, has anyone noticed whether the Amazon price ever dips in any sales or times of year?

1 Like

Iā€™ve been watching it since September but the price has remained the same on Amazon US

2 Likes

Sad but helpful news - thank you!

I did see it as low as 100ā‚¬ not sure if has the same dips on the .com site :sweat_smile: and at a time akm chips were still available XD no idea if the ess price is the same or if they have adjusted the price

So I have one now, and itā€™s overall positive even if the following that sticks out to me might not sound like it:

• The buttons are very annoying. Fully symmetrical design means while trying to press one of them you inadvertently apply pressure to the other. Also very hard in your pocket to work out which is which. Their feel is pretty rubbish compared to the BTR5 which I preferred for placement, size/shape, firmness/feel, and labeling.
  • Really good BT connection. If I had my phone in my pants pocket and my BTR5 clipped up high, leaning against the counter while doing dishes would cause a momentary cut in connection. Walking into the other room from the source would be out of the question. This is a huge plus for the Q5K. Some gravel and some punch are gone.
  • Soundā€¦ I really donā€™t know. Itā€™s like the Q5K has cleaned things up more than Iā€™d like it to. My Serials donā€™t sound as visceral as before. Sub-bass is coming from ear level instead of lower (closer to feeling in chest). What the overall sound reminds me most of is planar. Very clean, tonally on point, but somehow lacking tactility. I feel a bit odd about this tbh.
  • I know this is the most accessible PEQ available most likely, I will probably still not use it.

Iā€™ve already found a buyer for the BTR5. But if the BTR3K has equally good signal from having a plastic chassis, to be honest Iā€™d rather save the money. Power isnā€™t important I donā€™t run high ohm headphones.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve had my Qudelix for about a month - driving mainly the Moondrop Variations and the 7Hz Timeless. I have felt the same about the sound but couldnā€™t put my finger on what it was. You hit the nail on the head with regards to your sentiments re: sound. Iā€™ve tried the IEMs with a RME ADI-2 and a Schiit Jotunheim 2 at home and find that my preference leans towards slightly warmer sound signatures. For reference, I donā€™t like the amp section of the RME but the DAC section is amazing - so I run all outputs via the Jot 2. To my ears, the Qudelix sounds less musical. I try to turn up the volume to engage with music more but then fatigue sets in because its too loud. I can never get it to the point where I am able to bob along to the music.

I am now looking at Cayin RU6 - hoping that a R2R DAP may help my mobile experience.

1 Like

Thanks for the confirmation! I find myself volume-creeping at times too to compensate. Itā€™s a good sound, and it can take a lot of volume - but some of what makes the Serials what they are is a little bit lost.

Edit: Woah thereā€¦ Q5K balanced with the Penon Fanā€¦ this is a combo Iā€™m going to try for quite a while today.

2 Likes

Those are some interesting points.

I have always heard people say the buttons are weird. The confusion on them is also a common complaint.

Nice to hear the BT is great. The fridge door, 8 feet from my desk is the bane of my music listening experience, usually when refilling water, ok I am really eating cheese.

The sound might bother me, I like the sound from my BTR5, and think of it as pretty neutral. If I the sound is more sterile than that it would likely bother me a bit.

I am with you on the PEQ, once in a while I EQ the S12 for extra slam, or pull down a peak, but there are other options for that.

1 Like